OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stormy Day Gobbler

Started by tomstopper, April 13, 2020, 11:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Went out to a small field Easter morning and worked a nice gobbler for about 1hr and 20 mins but just couldn't get him to leave his hens and the treeline that was about 30 yards out of range (might have been able to call him in a little later but you have to stop hunting here in NC on Sundays at 9:30am).

Decided when I got home that today I would hunt a different spot today because I already had a blind set up there and wanted to take it down today before the storm winds really got whipping (forecasted to pick up early am and start really raining about 9ish in my area).
Got in the blind an hour before daylight and my weather app said the winds were already 18mph. I figured I would try to hold out to a little after sunrise to see if the turkeys would fly out into a large field in front of me. Like I predicted, they did but way out of range. I used my box call but it just was too windy for them to hear me. I stayed until 7:45 am when the wind began to tear up my blind.

Finally made it to my truck and decided to drive ten minutes out of my way to check that small field that I was in yesterday. As soon as I pulled up I could see him strutting with some hens along a hedgerow/strip of trees that is about 10 feet across and separates the small field and a larger one. I pulled over out of view of the small field and the gobbler and checked the big field for birds. None were present so I decided to try and sneak down the strip of trees on the large field side. I made it about 25 yards from him when I realized I wouldn't be able to see him and decided to get about 25 yards ahead of him and slip into the brush and hopefully get a shot on him. Got into the brush and could see him strutting and gobbling in the same spot where he had been. Did a couple of yelps on my box call and he immediately turned and headed in my direction. When he got to about 15 yards from me and I had a clean shot and I took him (TSS really did a number on him at that range hence the pants).

Not the ideal way I would like to take one but it's always gratifying to stalk one and ultimately connect on him. You can get away with plenty of movement when the wind is blowing at least 20mph and you move slowly. Sometimes it pays to be lucky instead of good.

Sorry for the crappy pics but it began to pour when I got him back to the truck and home (only place I had to take pics was in my garage with poor lighting).

Weighed 19.09lbs, 10 3/4 in beard and 1 1/4in and 1 3/8in spurs.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Congrats!

Sounds like a great bird.

Hobbes

That is one soaked gobbler.  Congrats.

Tom007

g8rvet

Wet bird pics are never artistic, but they are still a trophy and great eating.  Great story too.  :happy0064:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

MJW

Greg Massey

Muzzy61

Congrats, the well earned ones are the ones we always remember.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Quote from: g8rvet on April 13, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
Wet bird pics are never artistic, but they are still a trophy and great eating.  Great story too.  :happy0064:
True. My daughters first ever gobbler last year was soaked and today it's still the best looking bird I have ever seen.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mathews.1

Congratulations you deserved him.

perrytrails

Yoteduster

Congrats on a nice  (wet) bird

kyturkeyhunter4

JeffC

Congrats,  great read and pictures. That's why I always have a pair of sweatpants in truck.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

3bailey3