OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How cold is to cold to sleep in truck?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 12, 2020, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2020, 03:18:12 PMPersonally, I am a "Three Dog Night" man myself....
(Just seeing how many here will get the reference....) :)
Your a lot older than me and not near as handsome, so you know I have no idea what your talking about.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

squirrel

Done it to -20 but can't say it is much fun when you have to get out in the morning and your frost has the topper locked with you inside.  This was officially a two dog night, but if id a had 3 id a used em.

idgobble

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2020, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: idgobble on April 12, 2020, 02:46:52 PM
If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs.

Personally, I am a "Three Dog Night" man myself....

A couple dozen good hits  '60s/'70s. Always liked them.

Mossberg90MN

If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs. I did lots of winter camping in Vermont when I was young. A springer spaniel is about the right size.
Hahaha that's pretty good!!  True that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 12, 2020, 02:38:47 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2020, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 12, 2020, 01:01:59 PM
Gonna reiterate something things here. Bed of the truck, sleeping pad, good sleeping bag and a cardboard box. Cut holes for personal ventilation. Use one that a freezer or large appliance came in. It'll act as a shell to trap warmth. Sounds crazy but I swear it's true. My FIL does it and I have too. Amazing what cardboard will do.

If you have no camper top, cover with a tarp and you can forget the box. The tarp, if sealed properly around the bed will do similarly. I've slept in the back of mine with just a bag and tonneau cover. It does make getting out more difficult tho.

I'd prefer not to sleep in the cab. Condensation freezing on the windows...no bueno.

I got a tonneau cover on mine. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to stay warm just sleeping in the back like that without a heater right?

Might stay warmer, less area to heat. Have to have somebody let you out in the morning though!
Nah. My cover was solid. So long as no one had a key to lock me inside, just push it up and get out. The truck I've got now has a soft cover. Haven't tried that one yet.

See I currently have a soft top. Think that's not thick enough?

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: squirrel on April 12, 2020, 04:11:12 PM
Done it to -20 but can't say it is much fun when you have to get out in the morning and your frost has the topper locked with you inside.  This was officially a two dog night, but if id a had 3 id a used em.
-20, ouch!!

How did you do that?! Just in the bed? When you say topper do you mean like a camper shell? Or a tonneau cover?

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 12, 2020, 02:38:47 PM
Gonna reiterate something things here. Bed of the truck, sleeping pad, good sleeping bag and a cardboard box. Cut holes for personal ventilation. Use one that a freezer or large appliance came in. It'll act as a shell to trap warmth. Sounds crazy but I swear it's true. My FIL does it and I have too. Amazing what cardboard will do.

If you have no camper top, cover with a tarp and you can forget the box. The tarp, if sealed properly around the bed will do similarly. I've slept in the back of mine with just a bag and tonneau cover. It does make getting out more difficult tho.

I'd prefer not to sleep in the cab. Condensation freezing on the windows...no bueno.

I got a tonneau cover on mine. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to stay warm just sleeping in the back like that without a heater right?

Might stay warmer, less area to heat. Have to have somebody let you out in the morning though!
Nah. My cover was solid. So long as no one had a key to lock me inside, just push it up and get out. The truck I've got now has a soft cover. Haven't tried that one yet.

See I currently have a soft top. Think that's not thick enough?

You'll be fine.

MK M GOBL

I have done this a lot, here's been mine. I have an inflatable bed/mattress super comfortable to sleep on, my pillows and bed set. I set this up in truck bed, I had "crossmembers" 2x6's and a piece of 3/4" plywood, it's high enough up to get gear under and with truck cap room to sit up. I have a Pelonis Ceramic Heater (Has thermostat and tip over protection) Heats up to 600 square feet, and the unit is small around 6x6x7. I have a small generator running this, moved away from truck for noise and had an extension cord to power strip ran into truck bed so I could charge cell and run a light too. Dad and I slept pretty comfortable.

MK M GOBL

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 12, 2020, 06:13:11 PM
I have done this a lot, here's been mine. I have an inflatable bed/mattress super comfortable to sleep on, my pillows and bed set. I set this up in truck bed, I had "crossmembers" 2x6's and a piece of 3/4" plywood, it's high enough up to get gear under and with truck cap room to sit up. I have a Pelonis Ceramic Heater (Has thermostat and tip over protection) Heats up to 600 square feet, and the unit is small around 6x6x7. I have a small generator running this, moved away from truck for noise and had an extension cord to power strip ran into truck bed so I could charge cell and run a light too. Dad and I slept pretty comfortable.

MK M GOBL
Sounds like a good set up!

singlestrand

Get a carbon monoxide detector like you have in your house.

Sir-diealot

If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs.

Don't forget the bullfrog.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

owlhoot

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 02:37:52 PM

Yea I could see that haha luckily mine cover can open itself from the inside. Then I just reach my arm over pop open the tailgate.

if it ain't frozen    :help:

Happy hooker

3 dogs or not,,sleeping outside without heat in under 30 degrees is certainly not a night spent in "shambala"

Crghss

Get a sleeping bag rated for 0 degrees (not 20). Get a comforter for above and below. People don't realize that the truck or air mattress will pull heat from you. So you need a blanket between it and you.

I've slept a lot in an expedition when I had it. Just had to bring enough blanks to keep warm. Laid down a Doubled up comforter, sleeping blanket, than another comforter. Calculate how many blankets/comforter you'll need then bring one more.

Worst part was getting up in the morning. Was nice and warm in those blankets.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

crow

Back in the 90's I did the traditional long hunter trecking thing for awhile, have slept out on the ground with a Hudson Bay blanket, no tent and in the low teens. sometimes with a mt. cur or 2 of them under the blanket, sometimes none.

Definitely much better with a dog with you, 3 would be warm but would be a crowd.