OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: LB #5s, Remington 870  (Read 4981 times)

Offline jwright8

LB #5s, Remington 870
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
Info on the paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: LB #5s, Remington 870
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »
nothing wrong with that
I shoot a lot of lead loads myself
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:59:29 AM »
I think that will do just fine , nice pattern.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
Very nice! LB’s fer me!
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline jwright8

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 06:28:01 PM »
I really want to love these shells because of price and pattern they throw. But I for the life of me have yet to find a box that stays consistent enough for me to trust them. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline captfire

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
I SHOT THE LONG BEARDS 3 INCH#6 FOR 2 YEARS TILL I COULD'NT GET THEM TO SHOOT A GOOD PATTERN IN THE SAME GUN I SWITCH CHOKES STILL SHOT THE SAME I PUT MY CHOKE IN MY BROTHERS GUN SHOT MY SHELLS IT SHOT THE SAME WAY PUT HIS CHOKE BACK IN SHOT WITH HIS CHOKE IT SHOT LIKE S**T . I JUST BIT THE BULLET AND WHEN TO TSS #9 AND NOT LOOKED BACK.....

Offline NTXRRANCH

• Howdy!
    • RaabeRanch
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »
nice - what optic/sight?

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 12:02:37 AM »
I really want to love these shells because of price and pattern they throw. But I for the life of me have yet to find a box that stays consistent enough for me to trust them. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I stopped shooting then because of inconsistency. They would throw real tight then all the sudden they would throw horrible pattern. I’m now shooting Grand Slam 6s in my 1300 with IC .660 and went with apex 9s in my Cz 1012 with a full choke.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
LB #5s, Remington 870
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
I SHOT THE LONG BEARDS 3 INCH#6 FOR 2 YEARS TILL I COULD'NT GET THEM TO SHOOT A GOOD PATTERN IN THE SAME GUN I SWITCH CHOKES STILL SHOT THE SAME I PUT MY CHOKE IN MY BROTHERS GUN SHOT MY SHELLS IT SHOT THE SAME WAY PUT HIS CHOKE BACK IN SHOT WITH HIS CHOKE IT SHOT LIKE S**T . I JUST BIT THE BULLET AND WHEN TO TSS #9 AND NOT LOOKED BACK.....
I’ve quit shooting them after a bad box last year. You never know, and I’m not taking me out of the equation, but I’m pretty convinced they cost me two birds last year before I figured out the problem.

Here’s what my gun typically shoots LBs like at 20yds. Pretty ordinary and expected.

Here’s what my gun did with that bad box at 20yds. Every shell shot like this. Now imagine what that pattern would’ve looked like farther out, say at 30 or 40.

I made the switch this year to Hevi-13 #7s. Have recently learned those are being discontinued. Would stock up on them if it weren’t for the ammo crisis. Guess I’ll be finding something new to shoot next year.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:30:10 PM »
Those last 2 shots look  like good Spreader loads.  Did Winchester replace them?   

Offline Jcfd142

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 05:22:42 PM »
I have a couple bad boxes as well. Winchester said they will reimburse me but I am going to ask for replacements as they are unobtanium right now. My old Double X's will have to get me by this year.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 11:53:36 AM »

This is an old post but still very relevant: do you clean your barrel and choke between every shot? You MUST do it with LB’s because of the resin they use!!!
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 10:48:00 PM »
Almost a full year later, but I just wanted to say BULL! to the post above mine.
I shot LBXR for years before I even knew about this deep cleaning and choke cleaning game. It never affected my pattern one bit. They always shot excellent.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls