OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests  (Read 10495 times)

Offline WTNUT

Re: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
Well the Tenzing vest came.  It was out of the box about 3 hours and went back in to the box to be returned.   It fit better than the Alps impact,  but I can’t imagine those poles being anything but a PIA. They are hard to reach and trying to get them in place quickly on the side of a hill has to be a nightmare. I may have considered trying them IF the layout of the vest were better,  but it wasn’t.   The designer must have thought once they added the poles the didn’t have to think much about the pockets.  They were a “C” at best.  Overall the vest gets a B-.   

So I am going with the Badlands vest which I still really like,  Crazy Creek chair (the compact fold up one),  and I may keep the Avian X Rundown to try.  I like the layout of the pack,  but there is something about the shoulder strap that leaves me at a loss.

I would love to see a pic of the “half vest” people are talking about.   And, the gear bag was a good idea.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
I'm a full vest to fanny pack back to minimalist vest guy.

Number of years back, I was using a MO Super Elite vest. One hot and humid late season day, I parked and grabbed the vest out of the truck cab. It was late morning I was hot and tired chasing a bird all early morning. But when I hefted it, it felt like it weighed 80 pounds. It was heavy.

Birds were quiet, so sitting in the big woods, I dumped everything out, and found because that vest had like 21 pockets I needed to have enough stuff to fill them all. I did. Sometimes double. Carrying 10 shells, etc.

I went to a larger fanny pack with a shoulder harness and foam seat sashed to the bottom of the pack, which reduced what I carried. Used it for years, lightweight, but every time I sat down to work a bird, I had to take it off, spin it around in front of me. Had to done a belt holster for my box calls, I often carry a long box and short or mini boat box so now two holsters on the belt. If I wanted a drink of water, had to take the fanny pack off to get to it. If I wanted a candy bar, stop and take the pack off. If I wanted to change pot calls or strikers, stop and take the fanny pack off. On and on.

Back to the vest I went, tried the Alps Long Spur first, and just couldn't make the layout up front on my chest work for me. I wanted it to work, the concept is ideal. But the chest pouches bounced around if it wasn't buckled down. And those pouches got in the way if I wanted to sling my shotgun across my chest to climb or descend hands free. I really wanted to like it but couldn't. Sold it.

Bought the Nomad MG vest, used that the next season. Again, just couldn't quite get there, though I did like the box call pocket design which would hold a mini boat box, and the thermacell pocket which stored my pruners perfectly and made them accessible in an instant. That was handy, as was the magnetized seat. But like the MO Elite, just too many pockets and a bit too much material overall, and I didn't have enough "stuff" to fill all those Nomad pockets, just too much vest. Sold it too.

Picked up the K&H 300 RnG. About the best design out there IMHO. Light weight, enough storage for essentials plus a bit more though they did get crazy with the shell holders. Who carries 10 or so shells, not shooting skeet LOL. Waterproof pocket for the smart phone is a plus using OnX and other apps. Two pot call holders up front, easy access to everything else. MOLLE system on the side, water bottle pocket on the other side. Interesting seat deployment design.

I see why FL-Boss bought three of these in case they stop making them. I might buy another myself. Perfect trade off between the pros/cons of a large full sized vest and the pros/cons of the fanny pack.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Alex T.

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 09:33:32 PM »
You can find all sorts of military satchel style bags at sportsman guide for a lot less money than the brand named ones.

Offline JMBknvc

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 06:12:04 PM »
Use both (Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2 & Alps Long Spur), they are a tool and each one has it's pros and cons depending on hunting situation and style.

Early season find that the vest gets grab more often. Gives a spot to carry the layers of clothing. While later in the season and on warmer days the run-n-gun pack gets used. The main draw back is that lack of a water balder for the long hikes. This is a con on bot the vest and run-n-gun pack. Will use the Alps Vanish chair with both but find the chair being used more in late season to help see through & over the vegetation.

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 07:13:05 PM »
I use a messenger bag and also use a Breedlove's air cushion.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 07:49:23 AM »
This is what I use. All have carry straps. Glenda green bag. It’s got a Montana collapsing decoy in it. 3/4 pots, 2 box calls, 6/7 strikers snake bite kit face mask thermacell. Holds a lot if you want pack a lot . Chair is alps vanish. It’s little heavy but I can sit all day in it folds up and straps closed with carry strap attached to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x3 .. no wet butt either .. this same setup.

Greg, real nice gun there. What kind, what gauge. Looks fantastic...
“Solo hunter”

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
This is what I use. All have carry straps. Glenda green bag. It’s got a Montana collapsing decoy in it. 3/4 pots, 2 box calls, 6/7 strikers snake bite kit face mask thermacell. Holds a lot if you want pack a lot . Chair is alps vanish. It’s little heavy but I can sit all day in it folds up and straps closed with carry strap attached to it

It’s a dipped Yildiz youth 20 o/u. Sumtoy chokes and optic mount. Trijicon rmr

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 08:27:38 AM »

It’s a dipped Yildiz youth 20 o/u. Sumtoy chokes and optic mount. Trijicon rmr

Sorry Chad, misread post..great looking gun. A real beauty. That’s a turkey duster for sure. Be well my friend....
“Solo hunter”

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:06 PM »
I still use a vest but I have taken about half of the stuff I normally carry out of it.
I have a flat zippered up case and all the stuff I removed from my vest and extra stuff goes in it. I keep it in my vest till I get to my hunting land and that bag stays in the truck.
My vest is much lighter now.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 10:18:52 PM »
The badlands does look like a solid option.

I'm with many who think the RG300 is pretty good after trying many vest and non vest options. If you could pair the design with sit any where style seat id buy a bunch

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline JMBknvc

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Has anyone used the Nomad Pursuit Convertible Turkey Vest? Was wondering if the portion on the back was just a game bag or a small backpack capable of holding a water balder. 

Offline huntineveryday

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »
I use a day pack to carry a few calls, water, a seat, and my shooting sticks. I like being able to strap the bird to my pack for the walk out, way better than carrying them! I have used the weekender, folded up, then folded in half, it fits in a pack alright. Last year I just started using my helinox chair one. I’m not on the ground, but the shooting sticks still work with it. It folds small and is only 2lbs. Just get one in black or coyote and sit in comfort.

Offline JMBknvc

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2021, 01:47:41 PM »
Just got in the Knight N Hale 300 Run-N-Gun 300. Looks to be what I'm looking for. Will hold onto my vest but the Alps Long Spur will be going up for sale.

Offline randywallace

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »
LL Bean messenger bag can be found on ebay for about $40 or so.  Been using one for years.  A vest encourages folks to carry way too much junk.

Offline Heavy Load

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2021, 11:42:39 AM »
I've started using hill people gear kit bags, as it keeps my calls and everything right there on my chest. My type of hunting is running and gunning as I like to walk a lot. I do carry an empty backpack that only weighs a few pounds and keeps my kill kit and buttpad in and rain gear. The kit bag is a game changer.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.