turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

playing with a range finder

Started by Marc, March 11, 2020, 09:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How many of you have played around with a range finder turkey hunting?

Preparing to hunt with an air-rifle this season, I have been using and practicing with a range finder...

I used to be quite good at judging range, but since losing interest in shooting a bow, I am apparently a bit out of practice.   My first couple days playing with the range finder, I find that I have been over-estimating range to a large degree.

After a day or so of playing around with it, I can now come within a yard or three of estimating ranges of a bush, car, dog, etc...

Looking forward to playing around with the range finder scouting and hunting this year...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

USMC0331

Awsome

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Just like you said , over the years from shooting bow's , i just became pretty good at judging distance.  I have a range finder , but just use it mainly for long distance.

notsure

It's very difficult for anyone to accurately determine distance in the open farm fields I typically hunt over. Typically, I range several distinct features in the field, along with my decoys, and then put the range finder back into my vest.

StruttinGobbler3

I'm going to try carrying one this year. My idea is when I sit down to a bird, shoot a few marks at 40-45 yards so I have some reference points as to when he steps into good range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

I carry one.   I get bored easy and it helps keep me entertained. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

paboxcall

I shot 3D with my bow for a few years, and got pretty good at judging 40 yards and in.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Rzrbac

Use them when I've hunted out west.  That country just seems bigger and I tend to overestimate. I've walked many ranges with my son who shoots archery tourneys and have found myself to be decent at judging yardage.

With that said, the more you do of it the better you get. It's certainly a perishable skill. I have never used a rangefinder for turkey hunting. I know I'm always close enough to cover the margin of error I may encounter. I only hunt the timber though, not many fields on the public in my hunting areas.

Yoder409

I'm very good at estimating distances.

That being said.......... I carry my rangefinder.    On a set-up, I shoot 2 or 3 objects where I anticipate a bird showing up and then I KNOW.    No guessing.    I feel I owe it to the bird to be as ethical as my equipment allows.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 11, 2020, 10:44:22 PM
I'm going to try carrying one this year. My idea is when I sit down to a bird, shoot a few marks at 40-45 yards so I have some reference points as to when he steps into good range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is how I use mine.
I try and hit a few different trees and have a reference point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 11, 2020, 10:44:22 PM

Been carrying one for years. Exactly what I do.

trad bow

I carry and use one. I can judge distance fairly accurately standing or in a stand. Sitting down changes my view enough to where I'm not so accurate. So turkey hunting I do use one. On a side note I use one on dove fields and duck blinds to start the day off just to identify my farthest killing range.

LaLongbeard

Not to derail a range finder thread . But I've always used the bead on my shotgun,a Gobblers head is about the same size from La to Canada, or at least close enough not to matter. When the bead is  the same size as the Gobblers head he's at 40 yards or my maximum range, whenever I can see the Gobblers head around the bead he's close enough. I know from a few decades of shooting the same gun anywhere between zero and 40 I'm good holding on his head. Obviously if a Gobbler is at 10 feet you can aim lower but it won't matter.
     You'll need to check your bead size on a life size Gobbler target. But it makes carrying a range finder unnecessary, including the movement etc. Doesn't matter if he's in a field on a hill, or behind a bush it works and has for a long time. It will stop you from having to say "I thought he was at 40 but it was more like 60 yards.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

avidnwoutdoorsman

Always have a rangefinder on me. Even when hunting a field. I range back to where I'm sitting to know distances. You can find a flower, scuff the dirt, I've even poked sticks in the ground.

In the woods they are great. I shoot every tree or bush I can out to 40 yds so I know my range no matter what direction they come in.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Dtrkyman

I have never carried a range finder turkey hunting, I have enough crap with me!