OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Patterning to get ready for season  (Read 1380 times)

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Patterning to get ready for season
« on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:44 AM »
I couldn’t tell you the number of people that I still talk to that have never patterned their turkey guns. With today’s shells it’s a must that you pattern them to know where your point of impact is compared to your point of aim.  What do you do to get ready for the season

This was Friday morning after it finally stopped raining.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Patterning to get ready for season
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
Nice little arsenal ya have there. My 20, before I broke down and bought a red dot sight, was 8 inches off POI vs POA with TSS. Other loads were right on. So I just compensated cause I knew how far off it was. And luckily never missed in 10 shots or so. But then my wife started hunting with it so instead of worrying about Kentucky windage, only then did I add the red dot. Point is, who’da thought POI can be 8 inches off? 
Funny part is the only time I missed with that gun was after the red dot was put on. And he wasn’t more than 35 yards walking right down my barrel. Go figure.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
Scott, tell me you got a shot trap somewhere behind that turkey pattern paper! Judging from the empty shells, there must have been $300 worth of tungsten Chinese marbles screaming downrange there. BTW, did your shot come from the Wuhan Tungsten Factory in the Sneezhing Province? Does your shell recipe include Purrell?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Who can't be topical?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
Scott, tell me you got a shot trap somewhere behind that turkey pattern paper! Judging from the empty shells, there must have been $300 worth of tungsten Chinese marbles screaming downrange there. BTW, did your shot come from the Wuhan Tungsten Factory in the Sneezhing Province? Does your shell recipe include Purrell?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Yes sir. Working on a new one right now but if you look in the top middle of the pic with the guns in it you’ll see my trap and my stakes for lead shells. It’s collecting 92-95% of my shot so it doesn’t hurt to bad to shoot them.  Been trying different loads and different chokes to get it to where I want them.

Lol No mine didn’t come with any coronavirus thankfully. Do believe I’ll be soaking the next batch in Clorox and Lysol.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
Did some patterning on Saturday and fortunately nothing has changed from last season so I did not have to send many expensive loads down range.

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
nice lot of guns right there. I usually pattern my gun but I can say I have never shot that much.