OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1523 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Introductions
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
We have guys that have been on the team for years, and some new ones, as well.  Thinking about that, I realized that I really don't know much about most of our team members.  I thought maybe it would be a good idea to start an "introductions" thread so maybe we could get to know each other a bit better.  Participate if you want to....

My name is Jim Bates.  I am 68 years young, recently retired (building contractor), and live in southern New Mexico in Las Cruces, a desert community in the Rio Grande River valley and is the second largest city in NM with roughly 100,000 people.  I have been spring gobbler hunting since 1965 which (I think) is when New Mexico opened its first season. 

I hunt mainly for Merriam's gobblers in the mountains of southern NM, with the nearest mountains and turkeys being about two hours drive either east, west, or north from where I live.  I also try to hunt at least two other states each spring, and more if I can manage it.  This year I am planning on hunting Oklahoma, Colorado, and maybe Utah.

Being as how I've been around a while, I have hunted all five of the subspecies of turkeys a number of times, and now that I have retired, I plan on expanding my turkey hunting quite a bit more starting next spring. 

As for the team, I have been on the Crusaders from the start when Anthony put the team together years ago.  I have hunted with Anthony a few times, and have met Quinn (Vicksburg) when he hunted here in NM. 

Finally, if any of you decide to venture to NM to hunt, be sure to get in touch,...and don't hesitate to contact me for info on hunting here. 
Jim

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
Love the idea! I’ll go next. My name is Nick Cooper. I am 29 years old and a Sargeant at Andalusia Fire Department in Covington County, AL. Been career firefighting for 7 years now and also run a lawn care business on the side. I’ve lived in Covington County my entire life except for my short stint in Tuscaloosa, AL where I played baseball for Alabama for one short year before I blew my knee completely out.

I’ve been spring gobbler hunting since 1998 when I was 8 years old with my father. Took my first bird when I was 9 with my dad then took my first bird on my own when I was 14. I primarily hunt Eastern’s in Alabama but I hit GA and MS every now and again also due to family living in those states. I’ve recently started traveling quite a bit. I went out west to Washington on Collville National Forest for my Merriam’s, tried my hand at Kansas for a Rio and struck out. This year I’ll be in South Florida, Ohio, and Indiana.

I’ve only recently in the past 4ish years started to travel outside of the states I call home to my hunting so I’ve only taken two of the subspecies off the board. Hope this weekend I’ll knock down a Osceola and that’ll make it 3. I’ll try again for a Rio next year Lord willing. It’s getting a bit tougher to do now. I have a beautiful wife, a 5 year old boy, a 2 year old girl. Come July of this summer we will be saying hello to our newest addition which is another baby girl. I have one hell of a understanding wife who appreciates my passion for turkey hunting and she never questions me a lick come spring time. She just tells me not to come back home empty handed! Lol

As for the team this will be my first year on it thanks to Roost1 inviting me to tag along. I look forward to it and can’t wait to get to know all of you guys better and see what the season has in store for all of us. A big thanks to all of you guys for allowing me to be a part of the team. I hope to contribute best I can! I’ll also echo what Mr. Jim said. If any of you fellas are ever around south AL, do not hesitate to message or call!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:25:42 PM by Coop1082 »
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:12:49 PM »
I’ll go next.. Greg, 49, from south west KY. Started turkey hunting around 1989, I did not know anyone at the time that hunted turkeys and the only places I had to hunt that held birds was public land.
 I took a beating the first 2yrs lol. Finally as the population grew birds started showing up on my private lands.  Things got better then. I eventually got my close friends to hunt with me and am proud to say I was able to watch them and several others over the years take their first bird. Sadly, I lost my 2 best friends/hunting buds/brothers in a span of 3yrs. My perspective changed some after that but I still enjoy hunting and it is an avenue to meet new people, many of whom I call friends.
I, too, have a wonderful and very understanding wife of 26yrs come May 14th and 2 wonderful sons, neither care to hunt unfortunately. My wife and I spent our 25th anniversary last May in NY/VT area and she allowed me to hunt some. God really blessed me with her.
Snapper invited me to the team after my old team, The Voodoo Mafia, fell apart. I can’t thank you guys enough for welcoming me in like you did.
Some of you kno I’m one those crazy guys that’s Chasing 49. Not sure if I’ll ever make it but I’m enjoying trying. This year I’ll be hunting SC TN KY GA VA and MI. Will be my first time in SC and VA.
I’ll say this so far ALABAMA has been the toughest place I’ve hunted, took 3 trips to finally get one.
Coop makes it look easy down there tho so I’ll tip my hat to him.
Good luck to everyone this year, its a great bunch of guys.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:57:01 PM by Roost 1 »

Offline ScottS

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »
My name is Scott Sewall. I am 33 years old and I live in Amarillo, TX. I worK for Texas Farm Bureau Insurance as a Claims Representative and I have done that for 7 years. Before that I was a government trapper for the USDA and I also worked on a hunting ranch. I actually killed my first turkey when I was 19 after meeting a RD for the NWTF in college and shortly after that going on a hunt on some Texas public land. Since then I have been addicted and killed birds in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I will be hunting Texas and New Mexico again this year but hopefully I will get time to go up to Colorado too. I hope to get all the subspecies one day but for now I’m just happy chasing any turkey. Glad to be a part of the group and excited to see our success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »
Hello my name is Steve Mulinex I was born and raised in West Virginia retired 65 years old I’ve been turkey hunting since I was about 10 and there’s nothing I like better except maybe my family. I’m not sure when I join the Crusaders I think it was the second year they were in existence I’ve had a blast met a lot of new friends hunted with several of the members and hope to hunt with more in the future.
I retired and moved to Ohio to watch my Granddaughter grow up , I’ve lived here bout ten years now.
I love to hunt new states and try to hunt 4-5 every year.

Hope everyone has a great season this year But more importantly a safe one .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:55:05 AM »
Kris Kitzmiller. 38 years of age. Glorified babysitter for 6th grade science students. I enjoy long walks on the beach, stubbing my toes in the dark on random objects left on the floor by my 2 beautiful daughters and I’ve got a pool/hot tub business on the side. I’d started hunting with my dad when I was 5-6 y/o. Had a blast. The turkeys I’d killed in my youth were pretty much targets of opportunity while squirrel hunting in the fall of the year. Our seasons overlapped so...I killed them. Don’t recall much spring hunting except a few times with my grandfather when he was alive and I was younger. My first spring bird came when I was 17-18 years old. That sparked things a bit but time was always an issue. Still is today but I find creative ways to get out there now. And, I go as often as possible now. Usually able to find a good bird here locally but doesn’t always work out. Hoping to retire from the lovely world of teaching in the next couple years and stick with the water world full time. This will enable me to focus more on the birds in the spring vs fighting for time with 2 jobs and the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online callaway71

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 11:15:39 PM »
I’m Michael, 38 yrs old. Raised in Ky but live in Tn now. Married to a very understanding wife that deals with my bow hunting passion, one son and a little girl on the way.  I work in wildfire suppression and prevention for the state. Been hunting turkeys for 20 yrs. I love hunting them with my bow but carry a gun from time to time. I hunt both states and usually kill 4-5 each year. I was invited to the Crusaders last year by Roost, but was on the TN Dream Team before it disbanded. One day I will kill a Merriam’s with the bow. I love their color.

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:17 PM »
My name is Dusty and I'm from La.  I've been on this team for many years.  I start my season off tomorrow with my 8 year old in MS.  Just letting ya'll know I'm alive, as I've been out of pocket for a bit.  Good luck to ya'll!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline Holtbensley

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Sorry fellas I’m a little late to the party.

My name is Holt Bensley I’m a younger fella only 23yrs old I was born and raised in Central Ohio about 45 mins north of the state capital Columbus. I’ve pretty much been a self taught turkey hunter I was raised up on deer hunting but turkey hunting is my ultimate passion. I started turkey hunting when I was 16 and I’ve done pretty good for myself as a turkey hunter a few Rios and even more easterns under my belt. I am super blessed to be brought onto the team
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline vicksburg

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Vicksburg, MS
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »
I'm Quinn, 41 years young, from Vicksburg, Mississippi, and been a member here for many years! Not as active as i once was, but still around. I have been turkey hunting since 1993 and have been all over the country chasing turkeys... Got a single season grand slam in 2010. Blessed to see another season!
]