OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting Reports.  (Read 4515 times)

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Scouting Reports.
« on: March 01, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
I went out this weekend to check some cameras and look for sign in 1 of our spots. I did not hear and gobbling, but it has been cold and very windy. Checked 3 cameras and had some hens on 1 camera , no Toms yet.
I have 2 more Saturdays before the opener, hoping to get out and listen and check the cameras at least 1 more time.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Scouting Reports.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 08:58:27 AM »
Im still on crutches but I got up yesterday and went to a spot I've hunted before. 44 degrees and heard 2. They didn't gobbler but 4 times so my buddy and I bailed to another spot. It was actually my honey hole that I have had a problem with hogs in the last year. Pull up at 6:45, hooted and one fired off not 150 yards away. We could hear some jakes in the mix gobbling so we decided to hobble out and sit and listen. There were 11 jakes and they ran that longbeard until he flew up into a tree. then they all flew up into the trees bout 70 yards from us. Gobbler pitched one way and jakes decided to come our way. My buddy hasn't got to experience the stuff I had and is younger so thought what the heck, lol. I threw out 1 call and before we knew it they were in our lap gobbling, runnin, actin a fool. we couldn't get to our phones to record it, they finally lost interest as teenagers do and walked off. Pretty promising at 2 spots. I wont call to them anymore but temptation got the best of me, lol.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
I went out and placed some cameras around some green fields Saturday. I checked another camera and had a nice gobbler on it. Sighted in the turkey reaper and got my vest ready to go. Next week I wil be out listening some mornings. Youth season opens this Saturday. My back should be ok to go by the opener. May not move as quickly as usual but patience is the name of the game anyway.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
I’m planning to head out one morning this week and take a listen. I’ve got a couple cameras still out from deer season so I need to go get them anyway.  Can’t wait to hear some gobbles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Scouting Reports.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
Went out again today to listen and check some cameras. No gobbling this am, but did get a couple of good Toms on the cameras.

Also was able to shoot the 20, I think I am as ready as I am gonna be: 2 weeks from today.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
Looks like you got a couple of superstars on camera. The forestry decided that Friday was a good day to burn off some of mark twain. Just happened to be right in the vicinity I hunt lol. Didn't hear anything, didn't figure I would with all the traffic from forestry dept. I'll give it a week or so and they'll be back in there. Hit another spot yesterday morning but didn't hear a peep. Kind of chilly this weekend.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
I went and listened yesterday. It was a little windy and I didn’t hear anything. Rainy this morning, so I’ll go out again tomorrow and give it a listen. During deer season I saw 7 gobblers in one of my fields. So I’m sure they are close. Just gotta figure out where they like to sleep. Ha
Loving God's Creation!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 02:17:50 AM »
ive listened one time . Heard 52 gobbles between 0600 and 0649. They never stopped gobbling I simply just left. Hope they are still there by the time I get to hunt, which is slim.....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline birdman67

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
Been out listening the last couple mornings. Have located a couple groups of gobblers. Also my cameras are starting to catch them moving around a good bit. Hoping the weather cooperates Saturday morning.

Loving God's Creation!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »
went again this morning. weather wasn't the greatest around daylight. little on the windy side and overcast. Didn't expect much...Well I went to a spot I deer hunted and saw birds regularly "public" I had a spot I had picked out during deer season to listen from which is a real high spot. I went in probably 30 minutes before first light...and busted a flock on the limb 1/2 way to my listening spot in the pitch black.... I assume hens...at first light birds started gobbling across a clear cut from me which is one of the spots I expected them to be. I hooted a few times, and they gobbled every time, even heard some more distant gobbling but due to wind it was hard to tell really how far they were. I didn't go in any deeper due to busting the first bunch. A few of them flew down after daylight and they were indeed hens and it was from the same tree so I assume the first 2 were hens...who knows. I drove to another spot and heard nothing.....and about 0800 I drove to the very first spot I ever turkey hunted on public with my dad years ago....we hunted there together one time on easter sunday and worked a bird after our daylight service at church. It rained and we had to leave. I never hunted there again...well I decided to go there this morning, rather late to be "just listening" and I walked to the exact same spot and hit a crow call. "ROOOAAAR" an old old dude lives down there now. Nice to hear them old ball bearing rumble lol. Maybe I can take my dad to that spot sometime this season and get a little redemption. I have never killed a turkey with my dad outside of my youth....and hes getting old. Would be nice to score with him one more time before he gives it up.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »
Looking good so far on the scouting reports, no we wait and hope the birds
Cooperate when the time comes.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 05:06:22 AM »
scouting paid off today

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
Went out this morning to listen and check the cameras.
Heard 3 different gobblers and possibly a 4th.
Had 2 Toms on one camera together ana strutter with hens on another.
1 of the birds we heard gobbling was so close to the 3rd camera, we could not
Check it.
Hopefully I can get in between 2 birds we heard today, on opening morning. 

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
If it don’t quit raining I may be scouting by boat lol. Guess I’ll have some time since they’ve closed our school till April 6th. Hopefully in the next 2-3 days the rain will stop.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:07 PM »
im working but the weather has been warm and mostly over cast since the season started. we haven't had any rain since right before the season started. we don't per say need the rain as even the seasonal creeks are still flowing very well with water, but a good rain followed by sunshine the next morning is always death to a gobbler. early early green up. even the wisteria is fully bloomed and will be done in a week. the first peak in gobbling could very well be behind us here, but neither bird I killed had appeared to have done any breeding . so who knows whats to come. Ill be working and avoiding the corona virus.