OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you hunt in valleys/bottoms?  (Read 3772 times)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Do you hunt in valleys/bottoms?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 08:08:48 AM »
I like to hunt valleys or bottoms in our early season if the weather is cold and nasty.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Good to know, I kinda started off venturing into the bottoms looking for sign. I did realize that they were to open and they would see me before I would even get to them. Good idea to maybe glass from the crest and make move on them if the terrain allows you to maneuver on them.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »
One has to remember not to get too close to them, and then remember that one carries a caller for a reason, I hope.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
The biggest mistake I ever made turkey hunting was finding the mother lode of gobblers down in a creek bottom and assuming I could hunt that bottom and get a shot.  After 3 seasons I gave up.  I invariably had them going uphill away from meand I ended up chasing them every day.  I finally wised up and started on the top of the ridge and that's when I started becoming a successful turkey hunter.

That bottom was so enticing.  It had a phenomenon that has rarely been mentioned. In a decade as a pro-staffer, I  only met a few other hunters who knew what I was talking about.  The gobs would all roost in the trees lining the creek, and they would get to gobbling and pretty soon there were waves of gobbling going up and down the creek and the waves were interacting with each other like ripples on a pond. It was positively sublime.  They'd only do it a few times a year, and if you weren't in the bottom, you couldn't catch the effect.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer