OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What calls do you have to have in your vest?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
What calls do you have to have in your vest?
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:47:12 AM »
Bare essentials, I need my Woodhaven or DC diaphragm call/Josh Farley Box and my own pot(either slate over aluminum in a padauk pot or a slate over maple in a wenge pot. I am a newly converted box call guy, I am madly in love with this Josh Farley box. It is low skill playable, which I am, and a work of art. Those 3 with my crow call is really all I use. I wittled it down from the dozen I used to haul around, lol. Al

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Re: What calls do you have to have in your vest?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:25 AM »
An original Lohman barred owl call.  Seriously about the loudest and truest sounding call I've ever seen. After that, my K&H Halefire (tuned to actually work lol) and then my primos hooked up box-I have a few WAAAAY more expensive boxes, but this call just rocks.  After that I'd say my K&H Ole' Yeller slate that's killed a PILE of birds and then whatever mouth call I've found that I like that spring.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
An original Lohman barred owl call.  Seriously about the loudest and truest sounding call I've ever seen. After that, my K&H Halefire (tuned to actually work lol) and then my primos hooked up box-I have a few WAAAAY more expensive boxes, but this call just rocks.  After that I'd say my K&H Ole' Yeller slate that's killed a PILE of birds and then whatever mouth call I've found that I like that spring.
The ol'yeller pot from years back was a killer. I gave mine away years ago to a guy just started hunting. Should have kept it.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
A double sided pot from Pappy Jack Lewis is always with me along with several Turkey Getter mouth calls, a few Woodhaven mouth calls, a sweet sounding Hanks Glass, and my tried and true Lynch Box.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 01:51:19 AM »
I try to run pretty light most of the time.  I’ll have 3 or 4 diaphragm calls that I make and the Madhatter copper pot call with 2 strikers.  Sometimes I’ll throw in a glass pot call depending on the weather.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
I always have a Houndstooth Tom Bomb and Vixen in my mouth call case.  I always have a ceramic call with me.  Last year a Stumpy mahogany ceramic was very good to me.  The backup to that call varies by day, though a Daybreak aluminum and a Lyman slate took a ride more often than anything else.  For locators I just have a plastic Harrison hooter.