OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2020 Virginia Gobbling  (Read 9966 times)

Offline leaf shaker

Re: 2020 Virginia Gobbling
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »
Anybody not hearing birds or is it me? think were in the gobbling lull but not sure live in Bedford just for reference point  :gobble:

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
Glad to know I’m not alone, I’m in Roanoke Co.  Always take the second week off to hunt and the only gobble I have heard was in Franklin Co. Tuesday morning and he was across a river, he’d answer but only courtesy gobbles.  All I’ve called in have been jakes and a few hens.  Opening day was gobbleless, don’t know if a lot of out of work guys are putting pressure or it’s the normal lull just earlier with the early spring we had.  It’s been hard staying in the woods until noon when your not hearing birds that couldn’t shut up the week before season opened. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
I'm hearing birds but at weird times.  My good days have been days where I heard nothing on the roost, but they start coming alive at 7am. I've punched two tags those days.  And had other birds are gobbling good as well.  The only days where I had good roost gobbling were clear and cold mornings.  I hunted the first ten days of the season. I've had a couple days of no gobbling at all, and so have some of my buddies.

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
cool stuff just went out this morning and heard one shock gobble four times, got set up about 80 yards and started calling went quiet and went to a field i don't have permission to hunt so... hopefully we'll get some gobbling at the end not sure though  :gobble:

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
I'm hearing birds but at weird times.  My good days have been days where I heard nothing on the roost, but they start coming alive at 7am. I've punched two tags those days.  And had other birds are gobbling good as well.  The only days where I had good roost gobbling were clear and cold mornings.  I hunted the first ten days of the season. I've had a couple days of no gobbling at all, and so have some of my buddies.

Mountainburd, I hunt up that area as well. Had some good gobbling at sunrise, but same as other places...shut up at 0700ish. Had two jakes come in silent Thursday 4/23. Way too windy to hear ‘em that day.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:58:08 PM by Brwndg »
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
Heard one gobble yesterday at 8am, gobbled once.  Nothing the rest of the morning (Roanoke Co.), this morning went to Franklin Co. heard zero gobbling, did find some recent scratching so at least their around.  It’s been a weird week off for me, I’ve hunted 8 days so far since 4/11 and only heard two birds gobble.  Gary Norman forecasted a tough season and so far, at least in my neck of the woods, it’s holding true. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 07:22:45 PM »

Mountainburd, I hunt up that area as well. Had some good gobbling at sunrise, but same as other places...shut up at 0700ish. Had two jakes come in silent Thursday 4/23. Way too windy to hear ‘em that day.

Yes, wind has been relentless.  Lets hope that backs off the next couple weeks. 

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
Birds Gobbled today at 11 pm. One in front of me about 300 yards and another behind at 100-150.  Had a jake pass by about 9:30am and seen a hen about 8:30 all alone. Weather forcast to continue being funky until next weedend.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
15 days left, anybody hearing anything, herd a couple but not many but decent gobbling so cant complain to much, birds just wont commit :gobble:

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »
Wednesday 4/29, I heard my first gobble at 0710. Birds were already on the ground. No roost gobbling. Moved in on them and called in two long beards to 20 yds. They were alone w/o hens. Killed the second bird after the first got a little spooky and started to move off.

Went out Friday and Saturday and not one single gobble.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
Hunted This morning, central va. heard 3 birds. One gobbled 3 times on the roost, none on the ground. One gobbled once in the tree, none on the ground. Third gobbled 5ish times in the tree and 5ish times on the ground.

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
Same story this morning. Okay gobbling on the roost from a few birds, one gobbling good on the ground for about half an hour.

Offline adamg

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »
Best morning of the season hearing birds on the ground.  Handful of roost gobbles then they went nuts on the ground.  Got a nice bird to work in at 830, and he gobbled 30-40x on his way in.  He's going on the grill tomorrow!

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
Nothing is gobbling. kinda tired of walking a lot. still keeping at it though :gobble:

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »
Also had a very quiet May 4th morning. Not one Gobble