OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feed hogs won’t eat

Started by northms, February 25, 2020, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

You said it we didn't have to. How would it not be easier unless neighbors have an abundance of food on their properties. I think some of it boils down to geographics. Where I live every farm is a food source and unless you scout or have trail cams out It's a crap shoot where they are going. Most generally they are within calling distance though. I like to think thats why they appear and not just because i happen to be sitting where they want to eat,but thats just me and the challenge that gives me gratification.
It's kind of like watching antelope hunting on T.V. with someone sitting right by the only waterhole within a mile or two. Not for me,but evidently it's fun for them. Not judging anyone hunt how you have to hunt.

Bowguy

Quote from: drake799 on March 02, 2020, 11:22:32 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2020, 07:02:04 AM
Quote from: drake799 on March 01, 2020, 09:12:08 AM
Man there some self righteous people on this forum!!!!  I never thought I'd see the day where a planted food plot was baiting but I guess that day has come   

Millennial thinking. Food plots are even a new thing and sport hunting should be sporting. No attempts at making things real easy imo. No I don't use tss, no I don't shoot far, no I don't bait, jump shoot rabbits the dogs need to circle em first, , I don't pass shoot ducks, they need to decoy, I won't shoot an upland bird without a point, don't shoot turkeys out of trees, etc etc etc. I'm not judging you either. But don't seem so incredulous some guys think different. Sport hunting should be sporting. New folks don't get it seems

Millennial thinkin.....LOL.    I own 60 acres that I hunt a handful of times a year   If hunting over a clover plot that I have planted for wildlife makes me a cheat then by all means call the law on me and everyone like me. I guess we're just not worthy to breathe the same air as you Good Ole Boys    What a dang joke

No one is hating on you. No one said you don't deserve to breathe. That's ridiculous. Part of your problem is it's only 60 acres. Even if it's perfect it's small and birds aren't going to be there all the time.. Again a patch isn't much different but my point was the feed patch is newer thinking. It has to be as it's a recent phenonenom. Nobody hates you, relax.

Tomfoolery

We use chicken scratch on our place in texas. I feel you. Everyone around us feeds year round, and if we're not feeding our place is void of turkeys. We don't have a roost on our property so they stay away. When we have feed running we get birds using our property. Never once have I hunted over a feeder for them. But it helps bring birds on the property.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Tomfoolery on March 03, 2020, 08:53:17 AM
We use chicken scratch on our place in texas. I feel you. Everyone around us feeds year round, and if we're not feeding our place is void of turkeys. We don't have a roost on our property so they stay away. When we have feed running we get birds using our property. Never once have I hunted over a feeder for them. But it helps bring birds on the property.

Texas is the "poster boy" example of what happens when someone does not feed when everybody around them is.  Been there,....seen it!

Bowguy

My buddy's dad "hunted" a place in Texas. They had a chair in back of a lifted truck. Went down the road banging a tub of corn n dishing it out. You could shoot whatever walked out. He never shot n went home

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bowguy on March 03, 2020, 09:35:05 AM
My buddy's dad "hunted" a place in Texas. They had a chair in back of a lifted truck. Went down the road banging a tub of corn n dishing it out. You could shoot whatever walked out. He never shot n went home

Never seen that extreme, but I am not surprised.  From what I have seen in TX, most of the landowners have no clue as to what turkey hunters are looking for in a hunt.  Most of them don't care a lick about turkeys or know anything about hunting them the way those of us here want to hunt them.

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 03, 2020, 10:01:52 AM

Never seen that extreme, but I am not surprised.  From what I have seen in TX, most of the landowners have no clue as to what turkey hunters are looking for in a hunt.  Most of them don't care a lick about turkeys or know anything about hunting them the way those of us here want to hunt them.

If you ask me it's not just Texas landowners. The newer generation has much different expectations and allows things watered down quite a bit more than we ever would. It's a shame if you ask me. I mean look even at how this thread started. A bait question. Imagine if it was asked 30 years ago? Today it's accepted more. Still not right n def not sporting imo. Sport hunting should be sporting. Wonder if some know that? Seems it's looked at as work to some . You show up, something has got to happen to prove worth and all attempts are at making things easier.

camotoe

The how matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catdaddy

To answer the poster's question--- I don't think there is anything that turkeys eat that hogs won't. Someone suggested black sunflower seeds and I think that is just about as good a suggestion on this topic as possible.

But---as it sometimes does--the thread morphed into something else.

I have never baited--too much trouble and its just not in my DNA to hunt that way. However, I can say I have been temped to put out feeders on the land I hunt. I hunt a 300 acre plot of the prettiest turkey woods a man has ever seen. Big hardwoods, rolling terrain, shallow sided clear water creeks. The property to the west is comprised of almost all pines in various stages of growth--from cutover to saw timber--very little hardwoods and lots of briar thickets. But--come opening morning--that is where all the gobbling is coming from. The owners have numerous corn feeders.  I have to say, the " If you can't beat em join em"  mentality has crept into my psyche, but I'm not there yet. Maybe I'll just hunt close to the line :)       

hotspur

I hear this often down playing Texas, I have never hunted with outfitters, I have been hunting leases and ranches in Texas for many years I can tell you a spring time Rio grand gobbler. Could care less about corn,  o animal stays at a feed station long . Gobblers in west Texas are wary around theses stand sites, you could run and gun to your hearts content. If you hun

Bamaslayer757

Hogs will eat anything and everything...literally nothing you can do but trap everything

LaLongbeard

Quote from: hotspur on March 03, 2020, 08:55:08 PM

I hear this often down playing Texas, I have never hunted with outfitters, I have been hunting leases and ranches in Texas for many years I can tell you a spring time Rio grand gobbler. Could care less about corn,  o animal stays at a feed station long . Gobblers in west Texas are wary around theses stand sites, you could run and gun to your hearts content. If you hun

You sure you talking about Turkeys? I know people that hunt Texas leases and kill their 4 Texas Gobblers every year with a belly full of corn. I've seen 10 Gobblers at a time under deer feeders cleaning up the corn. Even if the Gobblers didn't want the corn, which I can guarantee they do, the hens will be on the corn the Gobblers want the hens.....real simple. I also know the same people that hunt these corn fed turkeys  have all kinds excuses about the how and why. Louisiana "hunters" going to west Texas to kill a corn fed turkey after they give up on the La birds is so common it is a cliche.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

hotspur

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 03, 2020, 11:22:18 PM

You sure you talking about Turkeys? I know people that hunt Texas leases and kill their 4 Texas Gobblers every year with a belly full of corn. I've seen 10 Gobblers at a time under deer feeders cleaning up the corn. Even if the Gobblers didn't want the corn, which I can guarantee they do, the hens will be on the corn the Gobblers want the hens.....real simple. I also know the same people that hunt these corn fed turkeys  have all kinds excuses about the how and why. Louisiana "hunters" going to west Texas to kill a corn fed turkey after they give up on the La birds is so common it is a cliche.

I used to feel the same until I went to get a Rio. It is what you make it. Ten gobblers under a feeder sounds like a winter flock. If you have any skills you could call those gobblers away from that feeder. As far as running to Texas for easy turkeys your talking about my buddies, they don't invite me till after they booger e everything. I love hunting public Louisiana longbeards,

GobbleNut

First off, my apologies for participating in the derailing of the thread,...but since the train has dun left the tracks...

I have no doubt there are properties in Texas where a guy can go and have a turkey hunt that does not involve turkeys that are conditioned to feeders wherein their daily activities are based around travelling to and from those. 

On the other hand, some of my experiences there, and other folks I know, were on properties that, because of the size of the property and the conditions there, you had no realistic choice but to tailor your hunting around those feeders.  In fact, I know one friend who was told he HAD to hunt at the feeders because of other hunters on the property (also at feeders). 

Personally, I hunted one ranch that I went home empty-handed because I refused to shoot over the feeders.  Hard as I tried, I could not get those conditioned turkeys to alter their patterns to come to my calling.  (Then again, I am sure I am not as good at this as some of those on here with the big red S on their chest are, (add smiley faces here))

I have also hunted a few properties there where the landowners did not care one whit about the turkeys on the place,...and had no clue as to how to hunt them other than sitting at the feeders or shooting them with a rifle. 

I suppose the point is that, if you are planning on hunting in Texas, be sure to "vet" the property you are considering hunting to make sure you are getting what you are expecting.  Of course, the same could apply in other parts of the country besides Texas,...it is just that TX is where that practice seems to be more common.       

Tomfoolery

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 03, 2020, 11:22:18 PM

I usually go to my place in Texas just because I enjoy being out there during the spring. I love chasing them here in LA, but I usually dedicate one weekend to "get away" mostly. Even knowing my chances of killing are better here in LA. It's nice to just go and walk around 1500 acres and not have someone drive up on me, driving roads, and all the other frustrations of public land hunting here in LA. The rios are easier to kill. But seldom are there any to kill. Feed or"bait" whatever people want to call it, is simply used for keeping the birds using the property. Of all the turkeys I've killed there. None have been killed within 800 yrds of a feeder and most killed mid afternoon striking 1 up. It's tough hunting when there aren't any birds lol.