turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Blind?

Started by djg, February 18, 2020, 06:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djg

With the 2020 seasons just around the corner I've been considering using a ground blind. I never would have until I watched Jay Gregory's 'Bow Hunting Turkey' show. They use blinds all the time and I can't believe the turkey don't notice them. Is this somehow staged?  Anyone else use a blind?

Thanks

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

DrDirtNap

I'm not a turkey hunter that uses a pop up blind a lot.  Some years I don't even use it all.  It does come in handy at times - like on rainy days.  Over the years my brother and I have killed several turkeys from a double bull blind.  Occasionally a turkey will skirt a blind and not get close but most of the time they don't even notice it's there.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kytomgetter

No it's not staged. I've been using blinds for along time. I've never had a bird spooked by one, deer on the other hand is a different story. I've set them up in the middle of a hay field before and turkeys are oblivious to them. Get you one and try it. I guarantee they work.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

I use 10 - 12 blinds a year .. turkeys never pay any attention.. I just LOVE BLINDS ...  :turkey2:      I can't wait for NWTF to come back next year were i can pay my 35 dollars again and buy me few more blinds ...

Sir-diealot

I have had 3 come right out of the tree to me, ones wing brushed the blind on the left side of me, another one did the same on the right side of me and another brushed the backpack sitting about a foot or so behind me leaning against a tree.

Last year I had the smallest turkey I have ever seen up close come walking by my blind within just a few feet, let our a strange little purr and continue on her way.

I had 2 come running to me last Spring season and got my first turkey at 14 paces.

John Koenig:

Old Timer

Sat in one last year in middle of corn stubble in field. Birds walked by and it didn`t draw any attention. But the gobbler drew the attention of my 835.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Old Timer on February 18, 2020, 08:24:27 PM
Sat in one last year in middle of corn stubble in field. Birds walked by and it didn`t draw any attention. But the gobbler drew the attention of my 835.
Awesome post ...

djg

Thanks all.

I just can't believe with their good eyesight, turkeys don't realize somethings not right.  I'll try mine this Spring when the weather gets bad.

Hobbes

Good eyesight and the ability to reason are two different things altogether. 

Spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

MK M GOBL

Built a lot of blinds out of limbs and sticks in key areas when I first started turkey hunting, we did this often for deer hunting and took the que from there. Bought my first Double Bull around 17-18 years ago, used it for when it was raining (storms you wouldn't think a turkey would work in and have had success) and taking kids out. Found out it was useful for keeping warm more than a few times hunting in the -20 below weather and snow I have seen. Then started bowhunting from them and lastly was videoing hunts from them. I have a number of blinds and set them according to my hunts, kill birds with and without them, and YES they will allow you to get away with motion that would otherwise bust a hunt. I have some "rules" to setting and using blinds that I go by and work for me, as always just another tool in the shed.

MK M GOBL

djg

This brings up another question.  Does turkey mating activity drop off during cold or rainy days?
I don't want to spend a day sitting out in a blind and no birds around.  Had enough of that during duck season.

Greg Massey

Quote from: djg on February 18, 2020, 09:07:28 PM
This brings up another question.  Does turkey mating activity drop off during cold or rainy days?
I don't want to spend a day sitting out in a blind and no birds around.  Had enough of that during duck season.
Turkeys will do turkeys , during the matting season , regardless .. don't think for one minute you can't kill a turkey in rain or cold weather conditions .