OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are you fellers using this season?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
Re: What are you fellers using this season?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Lasered 40 yards, top pattern with Federal TSS #9s, bottom pattern with Apex TSS #9s. I’d feel comfortable hunting with either one. The wattle whacking Beretta is ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 08:04:23 AM »
Lasered 40 yards, top pattern with Federal TSS #9s, bottom pattern with Apex TSS #9s. I’d feel comfortable hunting with either one. The wattle whacking Beretta is ready to roll.

He dead.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »

Great pattern! As reflexl stated “He dead”!
That pattern will kill one waaay out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »
I agree. As lethal as TSS is, with those tight patterns I have no doubt it would stone one at 60 and probably a little further. I certainly want them closer than that though. But it’s nice to have the insurance if I misjudge

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
I agree. As lethal as TSS is, with those tight patterns I have no doubt it would stone one at 60 and probably a little further. I certainly want them closer than that though. But it’s nice to have the insurance if I misjudge

Completely agree! Do you have optics on your shotgun?

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »

Completely agree! Do you have optics on your shotgun?

I do, I don’t use a scope but I run a red dot. I use an aimpoint 9000sc. Yes, expensive, but when it comes to rifle and shotgun optics I believe in buy once cry once. The aimpoints are battle proven sights by many branches of the military, and I have more confidence in them handling the recoil of heavy turkey loads. It’s awesome for fast target acquisition, and has no parallax so it doesn’t matter what angle you look through it, it’s always on target. One of my Rios in Texas pinned me down in some thick buck brush and I couldn’t move. He was off to my left. When he got to about eight or ten steps, he smelled a rat and took off running without warning. I was able to swing on him and knock him flat at a full speed run with the red dot. Probably couldn’t have pulled that off with tru glo style sights. I love my aimpoint and highly recommend them.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
I got to shoot the muzzle loader Saturday. I think I have it figured out.
CSD100 shot cup #0207100
BSB-ITX buffer 20 grains
Felt Wad 12ga 1/8"
12ga Obturator gas seal OB12
TSS shot
70grs 777

I was using the BPGS seal but switching to 777 the OB12 gas seal seems to be doing a better job.

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
I have a youth 870 I hunted all year last year. Just purchased a stoeger 3020 turkey edition that should be here in the next couple days. One of the two will be with me on out of state hunts and probably the Stevens 301 .410 around home

Offline ThunderChickenHunter21

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
Gonna try tss instead with a .665 indian creek now out of my 870

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »

The Huntsman is ready to rock with 2oz TSS.

As soon as the new ram rod guides (which also hold the fore end on) come in I will have the encore back rocking. Even though it is a muzzleloader it throws as nasty a patter as anything out there at 40 yards. Recoil isn't for the faint of heart which is why they break the fore end.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
Encore muzzle loader with TSS at 40 yards.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 11:53:45 AM »
Mossberg 835
Indian Creek Choke
Winchester Longbeards 3" #5 1 7/8 ounce
Burris Fast fire 3
45 yard pattern from Tuesday

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 08:54:04 AM »
I got the new fore end for the Encore and before putting this on like the factory set up which would just break again I JB Welded the guides that the fore end mounts to. I put the 6/48 x .160 screws back in. I still can't believe they expected those two tiny screw to keep it attached when the bolts that hold the fore end are 1/4-20 bolts. The area that the bolts go through is where the fore end breaks after the screws come loose. I reinforced the new one with steel last night. I think it will stay together now. Is it worth it? When you consider that these barrels with a fore end were around 450.00 I would say yes. Easily the best patterning muzzle-loading shotgun Ever built.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »
What is your guys opinion on TSS I. A 12 gauge. I already patterned my 835 but I also have a Mossberg 535 that I am going to pattern for my backup. J have been using Winchester LB 3" and they have been great. But with everyone talking about how great TSS is it got me thinking. Just hard to pay $40.00-$50.00 for 5 shells. What say you guys is the juice worth the squeeze?

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »
What is your guys opinion on TSS I. A 12 gauge. I already patterned my 835 but I also have a Mossberg 535 that I am going to pattern for my backup. J have been using Winchester LB 3" and they have been great. But with everyone talking about how great TSS is it got me thinking. Just hard to pay $40.00-$50.00 for 5 shells. What say you guys is the juice worth the squeeze?

Whats 40 or 50. bucks? How many times do you shoot a year? I average 2-3 shots at Turkeys. Could probably hunt two years off one box. However, I do hand-load so always have more on hand. Plus I load for coyote as well.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.