OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new family member

Started by bowhunter84, May 09, 2011, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter84

well we decided to get our american bulldog "mossy" a playmate.  i've wanted a redbone since i was a kid and after watching where the red furn grows my wife wanted one too.  so here she is.....

"Lil Ann"

Hognutz

She is a cute little thing. Good luck with her..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

harvester

Good looking pup. That is one great movie also.

drenalinld

Great looking pup! Are you thinking of making her a blood trail dog?

bowhunter84

Quote from: drenalinld on May 09, 2011, 03:27:29 PM
Great looking pup! Are you thinking of making her a blood trail dog?
i've thought about it. i have no clue how to train one for that. i think she might be good at it though. she walks around with her nose to the ground every where she goes.

drenalinld

Some dogs don't need to be trained. I had a lab that was really good for blood trailing. All I ever did was take him to the blood trail, let him smell the arrow, and follow him to the deer. I really want another dog that is good for blood trailing, so I may do a little research for training methods.

bowhunter84

a buddy of mine was in a club a few years ago with a guy who trained dashounds to blood trail. i went with him one weekend and got to watch his oldest in action. it is amazing to see those dogs work. as we were dragging the deer out this dog was holding on to the deer's ear and growling and wouldnt let go. we went over a log and the dog rolled over on it's back. it never let go. we drug that dog on his back all the way to the truck.

Reloader

Beautiful dog!

I absolutely love the sound of Red Bones, Blue Ticks, and Black & Tans.

Get ready for a live wire of a dog.  I never would have thought a dog that size could be so darn lively!  My 2yo Red Bone, Lucille (Lucy), is absolutely full of energy and never seems to stop.  She wont even let you love on her very long before she's bouncing on to something else. She tears up everything she can get her paws on as well.  They get big too, not near as big as your American, but pretty big for a hound.  Darn good noses as well.  Lucy can be a job to walk, she smells EVERYTHING that's crossed a trail it seems.  Be sure to keep a close eye on her or keep her leashed, Red Bones are bad about investigating a scent for miles on in.  I'm sort of scared to let Lucy off the leash when we are not in the yard as she will wind something and take off in a second.

They slober alot as well, but you are probably used to that with the American.

Good Luck with your new pup, she's a pretty thing.

Reloader

Reloader

Blood trail training is super easy.  Some dogs will be naturals with very little training, if any at all, but others figure it out fairly fast.

When you kill a deer, remove the hide and keep the legs attached.  Tie the hide to an atv (since it has rubber tires to help limit your human odor) and drag it all over.  Put the dog on a leash and take up the trail.  Do this a few times with that particular hide and do it a few more times with the next hide you get.   I would advise the leash trailing as dogs not on a leash will be far too fast for men to keep up, especially in a thick area.  Some dogs will not stay with the kill and some will not bark on the trail or the find, so I always like a leash.  Leash tracking can be a pain with a big dog until you break them from pulling too hard, for this reason, my best trackers have been beagles as they were easy to manage on the leash and have great noses.  It shouldn't take more than 2-3 hides for a dog to be trained when they are young.  They will know exactly what to do when you get in the field.  My beagles would go right to the wounded deer even if there was no visible blood. There could be no blood at all and maybe 5 deer at impact, but the dogs knew exactly which to follow(most likely smelling blood we couldn't see).  Be sure to award them when they find the hides, give them treats and tell them how good they are.  Take them on a few tracks when you don't need them(IE great trails or short trails) to get them broken in.

A good blood dog is amazing to say the least.

Good Luck

Reloader

bowhunter84

thanks for the advice reloader. i'll try that out this season. it would be nice to have a dog thats good for something besides holding the couch down :toothy12:

Basser69

Good looking dog you got there.

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Ky strutt n bust n

thats a mighty fine pup ya got there! gonna make a dandy of a runner. loves hearing ol coon hounds baying at midnight at an ol coon. good luck with er! great name too! i love that movie, best all around favorites

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

cannonball