turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeard shells

Started by jbrown, February 10, 2020, 07:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

I shoot the 1-3/4oz load of #5's myself in the 12ga. and the #6's in the 20ga.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Turkeyman

Seems two things are to be considered comparing 1 7/8 oz. to 1 3/4 oz: 1) 422 pellets vs. 394 pellets...a difference of 28 pellets in your pattern. 2) 1050 fps vs. 1200 fps . So, all things being equal, at 40 yards you may hit the head/neck area with one or two more pellets but at a reduced velocity. The age old debate of pattern density vs. pellet energy! So now it comes down to patterning both because your gun may like one over the other. Re: pellet energy, years ago I used to shoot into a phone book at 40 yards and check pages of penetration but can't find a phone book anymore!! The ideal thing is to run out of sufficient pattern density and sufficient pellet energy at the same distance, regardless of what shell you're using.

Tongue in cheek, I've always said my 7MM ain't much on pattern density but can't be beat for pellet energy!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Turkeyman on February 25, 2020, 12:54:28 PM
Seems two things are to be considered comparing 1 7/8 oz. to 1 3/4 oz: 1) 422 pellets vs. 394 pellets...a difference of 28 pellets in your pattern. 2) 1050 fps vs. 1200 fps . So, all things being equal, at 40 yards you may hit the head/neck area with one or two more pellets but at a reduced velocity. The age old debate of pattern density vs. pellet energy! So now it comes down to patterning both because your gun may like one over the other. Re: pellet energy, years ago I used to shoot into a phone book at 40 yards and check pages of penetration but can't find a phone book anymore!! The ideal thing is to run out of sufficient pattern density and sufficient pellet energy at the same distance, regardless of what shell you're using.

Tongue in cheek, I've always said my 7MM ain't much on pattern density but can't be beat for pellet energy!
Speed does nothing in terms of energy for shotgun pellets at 40 yards. Up close, sure. Time they get to 40 yards, the faster loads are often going slower than the load that started slower. The faster they start, the faster they slow down. It's an element of physics I can't fully explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Not quite true. As a math major in college with several physics courses...all being equal e.g. shot size and initial velocity, the one which started faster will always be faster at any given distance. However, you're correct in one aspect...the difference in velocity of the two will decrease with distance due to air resistance having a greater affect upon the faster pellet.

That's why #9 TSS retains it's velocity...heavy weight with less air resistance due to smaller diameter.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Turkeyman on February 25, 2020, 03:58:21 PM
Not quite true. As a math major in college with several physics courses...all being equal e.g. shot size and initial velocity, the one which started faster will always be faster at any given distance. However, you're correct in one aspect...the difference in velocity of the two will decrease with distance due to air resistance having a greater affect upon the faster pellet.

That's why #9 TSS retains it's velocity...heavy weight with less air resistance due to smaller diameter.
Well, I'll not argue with you. But they've proven it with steel shot over and over again. I'd assume lead would succumb to the same issues.

TTG

3" 1 7/8oz #6's have patterned and performed great for me. They patterned better than the 3.5" #6's so that's what I stuck with

squidd

I put two rounds of LB 3.5" #6 down range this year and the pattern was horrible, best was ~76 in 10" circle.

Same rounds last year were putting out ~170. 

All rounds from same box and did notice the wad was somewhat deformed or melted??

Only other variable, was shooting into breeze but wouldn't expect that to open up the pattern?

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: northms on February 11, 2020, 10:20:36 PM
I shoot the LB XR #6 1 3/4 and they will roll a turkey. I save my money on for more gas money and mouth calls instead of TSS. Out to 40 it is a great load. All I need.

Im the opposite. I dont shoot a dozen birds a year and I dont have to pattern my gun with them year to year either. I spend the money on TSS because there is no factory load that equals it period. I spend more money on calls and other things so in the grand scheme of things , 4 or 5 bucks a shell is not bad
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Shady valley birds

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 13, 2020, 10:26:51 AM
Keep in mind those things are crazy tight up close.

I have a friend who is prone to miss, told him stay away from them, he couldn't help himself and got em, and missed
I shot the #6 magnum lb xr and boy you ain't kidding.  Inside 25yds it's like shooting a slug. Missed the top of one's head at 15 and went with the fed 3rd degree.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.