Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2020 Strut Stopper Story Thread

Started by turkey harvester, February 07, 2020, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Nice job. It is great when it all comes together.

turkey harvester

Awesome job gentlemen!! And it's even better when you have your best friend to share it with!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Turkeyman

My NY season started Friday, May 1, and I was on birds right off the bat. I hunted an area which I've hunted before so pretty much know where they'll be roosting. That being the case, I get in there in the dark...an hour before sunrise (5:54)...and set up. At 5:15 a tom gobbled to my left and behind me. He was gobbling well by himself then about 15 minutes later several gobblers started gobbling to my left and in front, over a knob. They sounded like a mix of toms and jakes, by my guess. After a while the tom flew down my direction but about 50 yards to my left. After he hit the ground I made a call. He didn't respond but several over the knob did. Two toms came by to my left and, although they may have been in range, I wasn't comfortable with the distance and let them walk. Several hens and a couple jakes came over the knob and in front of me.

Saturday, May 2, I hunted a different spot because my farmer buddy has a good friend who hunts and he was going to be hunting on him Saturday. I had some good action...heard a gobbler a half mile away (per my GPS) and started hoofing. Ended up two gobblers...a tom and a jake. Well, as luck would have it, when they finally decided to come in the jake was in the lead. He was about ready to perch on my gun barrel when he finally went bananas. End of game.

So...back to my farmer buddy yesterday. I set up in the same spot figuring I'd be close as I was Friday. That tom was roosted in what seemed to be the same tree as Friday. And he did the same thing as Friday...flew down out of range to my left. I called....he did squat. I made one more call and 2 came up over the knob...a tom and a jake. I shot the tom at 30 yards. As stated previously...3/4" spurs, 8 3/4" beard, 18 1/2 lbs.

Guess where I'll be next time out? Only thing I'll do differently is set up figuring on him being in relatively the same spot. But you know how best laid out plans tend to go...awry!!

Turkeyman

Killed my second NY bird this morning...not an upgrade. Had three toms going and this guy came in following a hen. 17.75#, 7/8" spurs, 9" beard. An "As Found" picture...aka untouched by human hands. Notice some missing tail feathers?...blew a few off. Down to PA starting next Wednesday.

bornagain64

Jroddc

wvhoyt19

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

Keep it going Turkeyman. I miss is so much right now. Wish I could spring for an out of state somewhere.

Turkeyman

I started hunting PA Tuesday the 19th in Potter Co. My objective this year was to hunt areas I've never hunted before. The spot I picked was based upon the PGC website and Google Earth. Heard one not far away. Hen flew to him and they went off together. Only show in town so hung out calling every so often to no avail. Oh well.

Wednesday the 20th. No gobble day in a different area.

Thursday the 21st...different area again. Heard one on the limb at 5:00. Positioned on him in a good setup and let him know I was there. He came in well...to 70 yards...then I lost sight of him. Next I heard from him was his drumming directly behind me at 20 yards on a rock shelf...not good. I slowly turned back that way and saw nothing. When I heard him next he was about 100 yards or so away, checking out. Since I didn't spook him I figured I'd play the game and see what may happen. I set up in a couple different spots and called every half hour or so. At 10:30 he gobbled down in the hollow. I did nothing...he gobbled because he was interested...why would I do anything? At 11:00 I saw him coming in from the left parallel to me. Lights out at 30 yards.

As found Pic.

19.3#, 1 1/4" R spur, 1" L spur, 10" & 8" beards.

I hunted today, the 22nd, in a different area and had two gobbling but they were definitely henned up. Due to commitments at home I had to leave by 10:00 and, as luck would have it, I raised one of them at 10:00 with a crow call! I ran a string of yelps at him and nothing. I crow called again after awhile and he gobbled considerably farther away telling me he was with a hen. I left...but I'll be back!

Unfortunately I didn't take the qualifying pictures so, although this bird scores 61.8, it doesn't register in the contest.

Turkeyman

My 2020 season ended yesterday in PA. I went to an even different spot and heard nothing for the third day in a row. But the promising thing was that there was a good amount of sign...something had to be there. My experience is that when everything is quiet...nothing going on...you have to be laid back as well. So I set up in a good spot and started calling every so often...but not a lot. Well, at about 7:00 I ran another string of medium volume yelps and, voila, a gobble not more than 75 yards in front of me! I got lucky because there was a patch of brush between me and them...two longbeards. If the brush hadn't been there they would have seen me grabbing for my gun and getting ready. They were both in full strut walking sideways at about 30 yards. I eased the red dot to where they would come out from behind and killed the second.

Now...if I hadn't ran that string of yelps I'm relatively positive they wouldn't have gobbled and very well may have seen me...I was just sort of hanging out. Pretty much shock gobbles...caught them by surprise.

20.3#, .75" spurs, 9.5" beard

As found.

dzsmith

Great season guys for what it was worth with covid 19. I look forward to this every year, and I hope to see yal again next year. Good luck in the off season.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

bornagain64

Same here. Really was a different year with the virus and lots of things have changed and some things may never be the same.
It really puts things in perspective of whats really important. I love turkey hunting and look forward to it every spring, but my list of importance is as follows.
1. God
2. Family
3. Work
4. Friends
5. Other stuff- Hunting, Golf, ...

We all have to make the choices that we think are best for us and our families: but living for God will make you better at everything else on your list. You can know that He has your back and best interest in mind, no matter what you face.
Be safe everyone and I look forward to next year!
                 John

turkey harvester

Sorry I haven't been on lately. My distillery job is more than I want for a summer job lol. 60 hours a week building stills seems to be all I do. So much for my summer vacation lol. This virus has definitely made things tough for everyone, but turkeys were still harvested. I purely enjoy this  contest and all the people on here who share their stories and experiences. You guys rock!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

Sir-diealot

Quote from: turkey harvester on June 05, 2020, 09:55:18 AM
Sorry I haven't been on lately. My distillery job is more than I want for a summer job lol. 60 hours a week building stills seems to be all I do. So much for my summer vacation lol. This virus has definitely made things tough for everyone, but turkeys were still harvested. I purely enjoy this  contest and all the people on here who share their stories and experiences. You guys rock!!
Just noticed your signature quote, like it quite a bit and it goes for a lot of things, I see parents doing their kids homework for them instead of teaching them quite often.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wvhoyt19

Hey team! Hope everyone is doing well! I've been busy all summer and as we approach deer season and the rut I'm still thinking of the strut! In my spare time I have been making some different turkey displays. This one is red oak and I made it for my turkey hunting buddy. I think he'll like it. I have a few more and will post them as well. So what has everyone else been doing this summer?