OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What’s Up With These Hen Boxes?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 04, 2020, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about these Fulkerson hen boxes. I love a good box call, and this one looks different. How do these sound and differ from a normal box call? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Rzrbac

I own one from Matt. It's probably the most accurate reproduction of hen talk that I've heard from any call. I haven't hunted with it yet, I rarely use a box call but it will get some playing time this spring.

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 04, 2020, 07:16:00 PM
I own one from Matt. It's probably the most accurate reproduction of hen talk that I've heard from any call. I haven't hunted with it yet, I rarely use a box call but it will get some playing time this spring.
Which wood combination did you get?

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

ArkyRidgeRunna

not real sure but I have snakewood/ limba that sounds exactly like a turkey.

Greg Massey

Hen box is another weapon you can add to your arsenal of turkey calls .. Matt Fulkerson , Doug Morgan and Richard Hudson all build find hen boxes and non handle ones Turpin styles also ...hen boxes have a awesome natural sound of their own and you can get several hens out of a hen box .. snakewood lids on didn't woods , like snake / apple, snake / teak, snake/ english walnut, you have other options bloodwood / black limba , Jatoba / Blue Mahoe and Bois de Rose / blue mahoe ... You have some that have longer sound chambers .. it all boils down for what your looking for in your style of hunting ... i have several and enjoy them all ...

HookedonHooks

Matt is making an absolutely fantastic call and a great guy. After I ordered my first he video called me and helped me through the basics of running one, and that helped me immensely. It got me on the right track for practice to find the turkeys in them and see the potential these calls have.

I echo everyone's comments in that they are unbelievably realistic.

3bailey3

because they sound like the real thing

3bailey3

That's two Hudson's and two Fulkerson's and I am so waiting on a Morgan hen!

Rzrbac

I have snake/limba. I played a few different combos at Unicoi, they were all good.

Sir-diealot

Mine is a Faulkerson with a Ipe lid and a Blue Mahoe body. Sorry, I do not have  a picture from the bottom or top down on the lid but will take a picture if you want them. They do play a bit differently than a box call or long box as the lid has a curve to it and as you play you want to curve that lip up to really get that full sound. I still have LONG way to go on mine but have not put in the time I had intended to as I have been out coyote hunting/trapping a lot this year. Here are a couple of videos for you including one from Matt to show you how to play them.

This one is Matt's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7oEDRG-J6E&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8&index=42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQc_zddASY&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8&index=40&t=0s

IMG_0503 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0504 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0524 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

Whats up with hen boxes are they are turkey killing calls. They don't have a spring and you have to manipulate the lid to play. It takes some practice but well worth it. You will get a yawk on the backend that no cost style can get. I absolutely love them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Nathan_Wiles

I'm considering getting on the list. Curious if anyone has an ebony lid over blue mahoe? If you have strong opinions on better combos I'd love to hear them as well. I've been following along on several of these threads.
N

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chefrific

All I can say is that once you get the hang of them they can be incredible tools in your arsenal. And they are addictive. The subtleties and variations in calling make them stand out to me. They really shine at the soft calls. Yes they can get loud and nasty but those soft clucks and yelps are money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: chefrific on February 04, 2020, 10:28:37 PM
All I can say is that once you get the hang of them they can be incredible tools in your arsenal. And they are addictive. The subtleties and variations in calling make them stand out to me. They really shine at the soft calls. Yes they can get loud and nasty but those soft clucks and yelps are money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which wood combination is your favorite?

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

Snakewood lid over about anything. I have a snakewood over english walnut that has been the demise of a many gobblers.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE