OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When Do You Guys Start Scouting in the South?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 29, 2020, 09:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I did a little already.  It's too early really, the birds don't winter in the same places they go each spring usually.
But I start going at least once a week a month before season and go listen to see where they wake up for a couple of days before season.  I try to know where I can find at least four or five gobblers come opening day.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

cracker4112

I just go hunt.  The birds were gobbling in early January where I hunt down here, and I already know where I'm going to hear one if they cooperate.

Crghss

I started last weekend. Only have 2 more weekends open to scout before season.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Big Pine

I run squirrel dogs all fall and winter and am always walking around looking for tracks or scratching. I normally start going and listening the week before the opener

deerbasshunter3

To be honest, I have never really thought to scout... I have only been hunting turkey for a few years, and always just went out the morning of a hunt and waited for gobbling. We then go and get setup on the nearest bird we hear.

This year, however, I am planning to spend a few morning, probably mostly on public land, in the woods just listening to get an idea of where some may be...

Oh, to answer your question, gobbling should really start early to mid-March here in SC, so I will start getting out and listening the first week of March. The season opens March 22nd.

trad bow

I've been hunting quail and woodcock four to five days a week since mid November. Always looking for turkey sign.  Right now there is plenty of food in pastures so that's where most turkeys are hanging out. Once the creek bottoms start to green up they'll be going back and forth. I hunt nothing but public so closer season opener Gets the more I scout where people are bunching up to stay away from that location.

ShootingABN!

Riding the dirt roads after rain and looking for tracks.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase