OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the fastest...

Started by Happy, January 28, 2020, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

One morning i got setup in a lite misting rain , as i got ready and made few yelps a gobbler came across the field and never made a sound , hunt lasted about 2 minutes.

Old Gobbler

15 seconds ...got a gobbler to shock gobble to me gobbling  on a tube call, I was STANDING in the road,  I ducked fast  to the left instantly,  put the gun up  , he ran in .....bang
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Hobbes

I don't know for sure but pretty fast on a few occasions.  It's always been the result of unknowingly getting way too close to a bird without bumping it (or them), yelping, getting a response close enough to make my heart rate spike, hitting the dirt and the bird running in pretty quick.  I never really timed it.  There is usually quite a bit of luck involved.  Probably been as many that didn't turn out.

chefrific

My first turkey hunt.  Walked down a power line at dawn.  Heard a gobble and sat down against a little pine tree.  Gave 2 clucks on a cheap walmart special box call and he pitched off the roost and flew right at me. I'll never forget it.  Looked like a F14 landing on an aircraft carrier.  In my youth and ignorance, I shot him when he was still in the air about 6 feet off the ground and rolled him.  My dummy of an ex girlfriend that went with me thought I shot a buzzard. lol. 
Entire hunt lasted less than 2 minutes.
Needless to say, I was educated on the hunts after that. lol.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tracker#1

About 45 seconds. Using Knight & Hale fighting purrs the first year they where produced (still have them). I would say it was more like "self defense"..... 3 long beards almost ran me over....

Fullfan

Running and gunning I have had birds show up and it was all less than 30 seconds. Always look for a place to set up prior to calling, had a bird gobble less than 50 yds when I was standing on a log road with no place to set my rear end down..
Don't gobble at me...

RutnNStrutn

About a minute or two. Was too frazzled to pay attention to time. There've been a couple of times I was walking down a trail, stopped and let out a call, and was answered by a gobbler right around the next bend. :o I immediately sat down at the nearest likely spot, got my gun up, let out a cluck and purr on the diaphragm, and in short order, here he comes marching in down the trail. Nerve wracking and immensely satisfying at the same time.

Jfowler82

I would say a minute or two . I always try to find a spot or tree to get on before I make the first call . Definitely don't want to be caught standing there if you can help it . Have had them run in on several occasions and it doesn't take long for them cover some ground quick . Although I will say most gobblers take their time coming in walking and strutting stopping occasionally to periscope the situation.

simpzenith

Instantly and flopping within seconds. I was standing at the edge of a swamp bottom, waiting for it to get light enough to start calling because nothing gobbled at my owl hooting. When it got light enough, I started yelping. In the middle of my first series of yelps and straight out in front of me about 100 yards or so, I saw a turkey glide down out of a tree. He hit the ground and immediately began running toward me at full speed. I simply raised my gun and when he got to about 20 yards I let him have it.

:turkey2:

hotspur

StruttinGobbler3

My quickest hunt was a loudmouth 2 year old that I roosted the night before. His position and the openness of the trees limited me to setting up 100 yards from him. From the time he pitched down, I yelped and cut hard at him and he ate it up. He was shot within two minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Tail Feathers

Maybe two minutes or so?
I was walking down a logging road an stepped on some dried leaves.  Heard him sound off in a creekbottom just off the road. I plopped down beside just off the road and called once.  Two birds came running in and flew the creek coming at me.  The bossy acting one went home with me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Ross R

We had a pair come in within a couple minutes this past spring. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it.  It was thick so we were fairly close when he first gobbled.

crow

The fastest...

58 MPH and 10-12 seconds,

I drove around a bend in the dirt road and there he was strutting in the middle of the road,

I punched the gas peddle and started to get the gun up,
rolled down the window while sliding to a stop in one smooth motion.

clucked one time (natural voice) to get his head up, and it was picture time.