OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey University

Started by MK M GOBL, January 27, 2020, 08:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So this past weekend was one of my first seminars for the year from my "Turkey University" Seminars at the Outdoor Skills Day, always good to get some young and old hunters into turkey hunting! Covered a lot and did a bit about my turkey displays too :)

https://www.facebook.com/FanaticTurkeyDisplays

So after one of the seminars a "young" guy comes up and tells me how much he loves hunting them "Thunder Chickens" I gave him a slight chuckle and said young man let me leave you with one thing today, your telling me you would rather shoot a chicken than a "THUNDER BIRD!"

I showed him these 2 pics and said now you pick which one you would shoot.

LOL (hate when I hear them calling them chickens)

MK M GOBL

Harty

Good for you! I'm sure it's very rewarding. We need recruit more into the hunting outdoor tradition .
Thank you for your time and efforts .

fmf

i can't take anyone seriously who refers to wild turkeys as thunder chickens.  thunder birds is only slightly better

davisd9

Thunder chicken and thunder bird is one in the same in my book.  They are turkeys.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

RutnNStrutn

Like so many other things in odd community, it comes down to personal preference. I've never been a big fan of the term thunder chickens. Just as I'm not a fan of referring to whitetails as ditch goats.

rakkin6

I have heard and on occasion used the term Thunderchicken, but have never heard the term ditch goat before. What/why are they called that? Maybe a regional thing?
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 28, 2020, 02:14:45 PM
I have heard and on occasion used the term Thunderchicken, but have never heard the term ditch goat before. What/why are they called that? Maybe a regional thing?
I've seen it a lot here on OG by the turkey purists that think you should not hunt with decoys, should not crawl after a gobbler, should only use a 12 gauge and no TSS, have to wear a vest and sit on a cushion instead of a chair, and should not discuss any hunting other than turkey hunting here on OG. :lol: Some dudes take themselves waaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. ;D

SOCOM304

Never been a fan of referring to wild turkeys as thunder chickens either. It just sounds goofy and though as if one were referring to storm faring barnyard birds. I think Michael Waddell came up with that ridiculous name. Two thumbs down!???????? ????????

Happy

Not a fan of many catch phrases in the hunting world, including thunder chicken. Not a fan of adult males using LOL either. That comes off sounding like a teenage girl in my opinion. Just a quirk I have.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Not a fan either.  But if I hear one I have history with I will sometimes refer to him as that aggrevating SOB, or that aggravating little $&!%.  But with full respect!

Good on you MK M GOBL. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Delmar ODonnell

I'm not a fan of the term. On its face, I just think it's stupid, but I think the disdain I feel for it comes more from the people who started saying it/repeat it and how they act rather than the words themselves. When I hear it all I think of is a 30 minute tv show with as many kills as possible, and done so in a way that takes the least amount of skill and make the entire episode seem like some raucous party, and "thunder chicken" is said throughout.

I'm not saying these are bad guys, but it's just not a way I like to experience the turkey woods. So when I hear it I associate it with that, and it leaves a sour test in my mouth.

Sir-diealot

I don't care for the term myself, I have seen some mighty heated arguments over it in a couple of Facebroke groups.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Fried chicken was what we ate ever Sunday after church at my grandparents house , turkey is what we ate Thanksgiving.  Never cared for calling a turkey different names unless i was hunting him and he whip my butt.. I don't think i will post those other names .. lol ...

Spitten and drummen

That term along with swamp donkey puts a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I also cannot stand that term Turkey Thug. Makes me throw up in my mouth.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Happy

I haven't watched hunting on TV in ages. I still hear the term "stud" from the wife a lot though. Long as she isn't thinking of shooting me I am ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club