turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Military surplus mines and Turkeys?

Started by LaLongbeard, January 26, 2020, 09:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Like most of you I have been in a never ending quest for  way to kill a Turkey. Every year I read over the threads about Super shotgun shells, pellet weight, how many pellets @150 yards etc etc. But really is killing him enough?
    I have recently found a source for some Russian military surplus anti-personnel mines and was trying to come up with a way to use them. I don't have the skill or desire to learn how to call a turkey so I really need ideas about getting them to step on the mines. I've thought about spreading bait around the buried mines and wait for them to peck or step on the mine. Then I read the directions on the mine crate, and from the best I can come up with using google translate, the person or Turkey would have to way a minimum of  1.3854534 pud  or 40 pounds US.
      Another problem I am concerned about is the loss of my expensive decoys if I can work around the mine detonation. I really can't afford to lose my whole flock of decoys killing one turkey. This whole business is frustrating to say the least. I'm doing this for the turkeys of course, nothing more humane than blowing the turkey to tiny little pieces, noway he/she will feel anything.
      If anyone has any knowledge about remote detonation of Russian surplus mines, let me know. 

*Just had another great idea what if you could set up a camera and blow the turkeys up remotely  from the couch , never have to leave the house or get mud on my thigh high predator camo snake boots.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

StruttinGobbler3

One word. Drone. From the comfort of your front porch swing, monitor the perimeter around your mine. Pour a carefully measured twenty pounds of corn or grain sorghum on top of it. When he steps onto it, the additional weight will cause detonation. This way, the gobbler must weigh a minimum of twenty pounds, a mature bird. After all, a man has to have standards. Never blown up a Jake and I certainly won't start now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

StruttinGobbler3

Also, make sure the mine is carefully painted in matching mossy oak bottomland. Change to obsession in the late season.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

rakkin6

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DerekDixon

You could get some remote cellular detonators and sink them with a recconex camera, so it will send you a video or pic of when it blows. 

rakkin6

You could go with a claymore mine. Holds about 700 #00 buck pellets and is effective to 60 yards. Don't really need to worry about choke at that point.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sir-diealot

You need to get a VOTING Dem/Lib to capture the turkey and kindly walk it to the landmine, that way you take care of two birds (One a turkey the other a bird brain) with one stone.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Personally, I prefer setting a trot line along the corn pile.  That way you can sort out your catch and pick the biggest gobbler out of the bunch and let the rest go.  ...Or if you hunt one of those states with the umpteen-bird bag limit, you can run that body count up all at once.  No wasted ammunition or ruined meat.  Your only consideration is checking your line before the coyotes or bobcats get there. 

Southerngobbler

If you can disconnect the explosives from the pressure plate you should be able to desensitize the pressure plate by filling down the trip mechanism. If you cant disconnect the explosives just work on it hot. It's always wise to have a 50 gallon drum of water nearby to throw everything in if you get scared.
If your not that technically inclined just add some weight to the pressure plate-say about 34 pounds-that way the weight of a turkey should complete the circuit.
Happy hunting.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 26, 2020, 10:26:19 PM
One word. Drone. From the comfort of your front porch swing, monitor the perimeter around your mine. Pour a carefully measured twenty pounds of corn or grain sorghum on top of it. When he steps onto it, the additional weight will cause detonation. This way, the gobbler must weigh a minimum of twenty pounds, a mature bird. After all, a man has to have standards. Never blown up a Jake and I certainly won't start now.

Some solid ideas you have. But I'd ask that you not judge me if I choose to kill/blow up a hen or Jake.  If I choose to blow up a Jake or hen is that not my right? As far as the hens I will refer to the age old excuse. " A number of hens will die of natural mortality anyway, so why would it matter if I kill/blow up a couple"  Of course there's noway of knowing if the hens I kill/blowup would have survived to hatch and raise multiple broods and add too the population. But then again if you force logic into this subject the whole thing starts to fall apart. I think like most dedicated turkey hunters I am desperate to find a easy no effort way to kill a turkey any turkey. I may have finally found a way to do this. Another really great benefit to this new hunting tactic will be that I can just take a picture of the feather fragments and then say the Gobbler weighed 30 pounds and had a 15" beard, no need to prove it with a photo and then everyone in Internet land will believe I am a "Real" turkey hunter ! 
       I gotta go I keep getting voicemails from some guy at the ATF? Im hoping it's a hunting show producer wanting to make me famous!
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Delmar ODonnell

This is a great idea. I too love to kill in the easiest way possible. Any way that get me out of the dirty woods in the shortest amount of time. I mean there is no heater/AC, there are bugs everywhere, and god forbid it could rain on me!

My only worry here is that I will kill too many 2 and 3 year old gobblers. I like to manage my flock and only kill the mature 4+ year olds. Those 2 year olds gobble too much, and the smaller spurs will not get me near as many likes on social media. It is, of course, okay if a couple hens are casualties of my mines. A good gobbler/hen ratio is all part of a well managed turkey flock!

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 27, 2020, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 26, 2020, 10:26:19 PM

Some solid ideas you have. But I'd ask that you not judge me if I choose to kill/blow up a hen or Jake.  If I choose to blow up a Jake or hen is that not my right? As far as the hens I will refer to the age old excuse. " A number of hens will die of natural mortality anyway, so why would it matter if I kill/blow up a couple"  Of course there's noway of knowing if the hens I kill/blowup would have survived to hatch and raise multiple broods and add too the population. But then again if you force logic into this subject the whole thing starts to fall apart. I think like most dedicated turkey hunters I am desperate to find a easy no effort way to kill a turkey any turkey. I may have finally found a way to do this. Another really great benefit to this new hunting tactic will be that I can just take a picture of the feather fragments and then say the Gobbler weighed 30 pounds and had a 15" beard, no need to prove it with a photo and then everyone in Internet land will believe I am a "Real" turkey hunter ! 
       I gotta go I keep getting voicemails from some guy at the ATF? Im hoping it's a hunting show producer wanting to make me famous!

I believe everyone has the right to hunt how they choose, and you certainly can blow up hens and Jakes. Come to think of it, blowing up a few hens might reduce that issue of them dragging a gobbler away from the roost all the time. That's irrelevant though, as I don't plan to get up before daylight and actually call to one on the roost anyway. That would be inconvenient. Also, being able to blow a bird into feathers and meat chunks has another benefit. You can post the pictures to Facebook, and tell everyone you called the bird within four steps of your gun barrel. When you pulled the trigger on your 4 inch, 5.25oz load of #12 super duper shot, it's magical killing powers blew the bird to smithereens. This will be a testament to your calling prowess, and everyone will think you are a real master turkey hunter. On another note, the guy calling you is from the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives. I'd definitely answer that call, I use all of their fine products! They may want to sponsor you!

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Happy hooker

Great minds think alike,,I had this same idea years ago in regards to pro soccer,,,,it's a boring sport for us American s to watch let's face it,,my idea would be to plant a random mine on playing field before match starts, during course of play if a player steps on it that team is now forced to play shorthanded rest of game the ref possibly holding up a black *casualtie* card. This would add more anticipation and excitement kind of like crashes in Nascar.
And think of what a crowd pleaser it would be if a referee stepped on it!!!

Tail Feathers

At a 40 pound minimum to set one off, you would get a record book turkey for sure! :drool:
But then, he probably wouldn't weigh 40 pounds when you picked him up. :'(

I'll study on it some and get back to you. :funnyturkey: :toothy12:

But man on man I would love some claymores for the pigs at my lease! :OGturkeyhead:

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

What you need is couple bundles of survey stakes and bunch of red solo cups nailed one on top of all the mines and then you would have the Funky Chicken dance land mines ... don't nail the cup all the way so you can create movement among the mines .... :fud: :fud: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: