turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sx3 longbeard

Started by RiverRoost, January 26, 2020, 11:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

What choke would you recommend for a SX3 longbeard that a friend of mine is getting and going to be shooting tss through? This will be his first year turkey hunting and I'm going to take him some but don't want to overwhelm him with the endless possibilities on the choke/shell combo. Thanks.

SumToy

570 is a good place to start
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TheSportsman

RiverRoost

I figured I'd either get him on apex or federal 9's. Any input there?

SumToy

2 different chokes is the only thing.   Pick the shell before the choke on this one.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Fullfan

My son and I each have the Sx3 long beard in 20ga. With hand loaded TSS, both the  Indian Creek and Sumtoy  do very well.  560-572..
Don't gobble at me...

decoykrvr

I reload a 1 5/8 oz. of TSS 9's which I shoot though a Carlson's .575.  The combo produces an average 310 in the 10" and an even 260-270 in the 20".  I've worked on the triggers of several SXP's and have yet to pick one up with what I consider a satisfactory "out of the box" hunting trigger.  Hopefully, the "newer" production guns have improved triggers with less take-up and a smoother/lighter break.  I removed the excellent factory sights and installed a Vortex Venom on a SumToy base which coupled w/ the adjustability of the stock/comb makes a real turkey killer.

RiverRoost

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 27, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
I reload a 1 5/8 oz. of TSS 9's which I shoot though a Carlson's .575.  The combo produces an average 310 in the 10" and an even 260-270 in the 20".  I've worked on the triggers of several SXP's and have yet to pick one up with what I consider a satisfactory "out of the box" hunting trigger.  Hopefully, the "newer" production guns have improved triggers with less take-up and a smoother/lighter break.  I removed the excellent factory sights and installed a Vortex Venom on a SumToy base which coupled w/ the adjustability of the stock/comb makes a real turkey killer.

Thanks for the info. I have the longbeard in 12 and my trigger is garbage too. Fortunately for my guy he's going ahead and putting a FF3 on there which will give him the edge on those close range shots with these chokes and shells being so tight up close.

decoykrvr

Please excuse my error in misreading the subject as SXP Long Beard vs SX3 Long Beard.  I have not worked on any SX3 triggers and do not know if it is the same trigger assembly/design as a SXP, but assume the performance of the back-bored barrel would be similar.

Fullfan

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 27, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
Please excuse my error in misreading the subject as SXP Long Beard vs SX3 Long Beard.  I have not worked on any SX3 triggers and do not know if it is the same trigger assembly/design as a SXP, but assume the performance of the back-bored barrel would be similar.

I can tell you this, both of the X3 long beards that we have the triggers are terrible.....
Don't gobble at me...

decoykrvr

I looked up the trigger on the SX3 and it is definitely different than the SXP trigger.  The SXP was one of the most difficult triggers I've ever worked on w/ minimal adjustment via the springs, requiring extensive polishing of the sear and all friction points.  On the SXP, the complexity of the trigger mechanism, coupled w/ poor machining tolerances and overall fit and finish has produced a trigger which is substandard for a firearm designed as a turkey gun.

RiverRoost

Yeah my sx3 trigger is garbage. I've waited too late to try to get it sent off and worked on since our season in MS starts March 14th. Put a Venom on it last year and aside from the triggers it's the perfect 12 ga. But you are right, a dedicated turkey gun with optics shouldn't have a trigger that's that poor.

RiverRoost

Found a Carlson's longbeard XR .568. Is that what y'all that have been shooting the Carlson have been using?

Reddog1966

I like the Carlsons Long Beard XR (.568) with Winchester Longbear XR #6.  See my post below for a pattern test from last year.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,88210.msg856412.html#msg856412

Reddog1966