turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another Video Curiosity

Started by GobbleNut, January 26, 2020, 09:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobspur

I've often pondered how hunting traditions have evolved.  For example, roost shooting, or even shooting a flying turkey are typically frowned upon.  But then look at wing shooting.  Complete opposite for waterfowl, many frown upon shooting sitting ducks, but it's okay to take hail-mary shots in flight.

Just different views, opinions, ethics I guess.  I myself like to call turkeys in close in a traditional way. 

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

DrDirtNap

I think there's a big difference between shooting one of the tree and waiting till he flies down to shoot.  I've never shot one out of a roost tree and I have no plans to but I believe under the cover of darkness you could do it easily in most situations.  Compare that to the other situation where he flies down before the shot is taken. How do you know which direction he flies down to?  How do you how far he flies from the tree?  There's a big difference between shooting one out of the tree and waiting till he's on the ground. BI agree with what someone has already said.  If he flies down in range,  you either got lucky and picked the right spot or you've put in the time on that bird to know what he was going to do.  Might as well go ahead and take the opportunity that presents itself.   We all need a little luck turkey hunting. 
I watched the Pinhoti episode and I don't think they expected that turkey to fly down that close.  They were prepared to call if needed but luck was on Chubbs side and he took the presented opportunity.
I've killed a few turkeys, all of them I think in an ethical way...but I'm not going to let a turkey walk away just because I wasn't able to make a call...and by the way...I like to get in tight on a bird in some situations. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Terry on January 26, 2020, 09:53:06 AM
Are you referring to Pinhoti? I believe Mr. Owens has posted on this site before. You could always message him. Get his take on why he did what you're talking about.

I know Dave is a member here,...and I have communicated with him before a few times.  He is a great guy and an even better representative for our sport.  Before he comes on here and thinks I posted this to take pot-shots at him, I want to make it crystal clear that there was no such intent.  I have the utmost respect for his calling abilities, woods skills, and hunting ethics,...and his videos are nothing short of outstanding. 

My entire intent in this discussion was to simply initiate a conversation about something that I thought might stir some thoughts from others.  Dave,...if you're out there,...no offense intended to you or those you hunt with, buddy. Keep up the great work with the videos, my friend.

RutnNStrutn

Like so many of our discussions here on OG, it's a matter of ethics versus legality. It's either legal or it isn't. If it's legal, then it comes down to ethics, and people have different ethics. I don't personally have a problem with shooting a gobbler after it flies down. Then again, it rarely happens for me. If I get in too close, the gobbler usually flies down in the other direction.

randy6471

Personally, as long as it's legal then I really try to not pay too much attention to what anybody else does. I don't agree with and have no interest in roost shooting, reaping or using a rifle, but if it's legal where you hunt...have at it.

As far as roost shooting...over the years there have been a couple of occasions where I have roosted a gobbler the evening before, but misjudged his exact location the next morning and either set up within gun range of him on the roost or was within gun range when he pitched down. Honestly, in those situations...I never really had any interest in shooting him.

For me, one of the biggest draws to turkey hunting is getting to hear the bird gobble and I've often joked that when I shoot a gobbler, if he didn't get a sore throat from gobbling to my calling...then it wasn't a good hunt. But, that doesn't mean that a gobbler that comes in silent gets a free pass.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I just do what appeals to me.

Aholdren

The older I get the more the hunt means to me, so I feel I'm changing from a killer to a hunter..  But, (their's always a but!!!) if I had my son or any other new to the sport hunter, my pride goes out the window and I'd encourage them to harvest the Tom! 

I hunted with my mom for 3 years before she killed her first and it was in the air after I shot mine and it flew over top us!!!!  Wow we were excited!!!!  Memories to never be forgotten!!!!    Regardless of opinions, the  current situation always dictates our decisions in the heat of the moment!!!!

derek

Almost sounds like I'm an odd ball out here - personally - I love getting in tight to em on the roost.  I really enjoy being there with him when he wakes up.  You hear that plop on the ground near by.. his feathers ruffle, being so close you feel more of his gobble than you hear.  You have all eyes on you, you can't screw up.  You can't swat a mosquito feasting on your temple.  You can't scoot your butt back a couple inches on the seat which will take so much of the pain away.. it's intense. 

I've been pretty ballsy with calling in those situations sometimes too.. Especially if I can see him - I want to make sure he turns on the limb to face me to get him to pitch my way hopefully.  I love calling in turkeys - don't get me wrong... but the flydown is your first opportunity.. And it can be some of the most exciting ways to kill him IMO - as so much can go wrong so quickly - It's nerve wrecking.  Ethically - once he leaves the limb - I vote fair game.  At least to me. Some people like crawling turkeys - I think this method is far more exciting. 

Here's one of my videos from this past spring of doing just this.. he stayed up there waaayy late as well. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwzRz0u_pn0&list=PLxRzrLSvBALh5JpkDsL_mEUjjbbcbOr4P&index=31
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

GobbleNut

Great video as always, Derek.  ..Looking forward to the Bayside Legion spring 2020 edition.

Nothing wrong with that hunt,...called birds off the roost into your lap.  We all love it when it comes together like that!

Again, my initial post was not to criticize anybody for shooting birds in a roost-hunt situation,...whether they are called-to or not.  As I stated, I just find it interesting that us turkey hunters make such a big distinction between shooting a gobbler out of a tree,...and shooting him as soon as his feet hit the ground specifically in those situations where no calling takes place.  We are a fickle bunch in terms of our interpretation of turkey-hunting ethics....

catdaddy

I agree with derek & NC pine chicken. There should be lines not to cross, and mine is either the gobbler is on the roost or off the roost.  If he is off the roost and gets within range, I do my best to kill him. 

derek

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 27, 2020, 10:14:23 AM
Great video as always, Derek.  ..Looking forward to the Bayside Legion spring 2020 edition.

Nothing wrong with that hunt,...called birds off the roost into your lap.  We all love it when it comes together like that!

Again, my initial post was not to criticize anybody for shooting birds in a roost-hunt situation,...whether they are called-to or not.  As I stated, I just find it interesting that us turkey hunters make such a big distinction between shooting a gobbler out of a tree,...and shooting him as soon as his feet hit the ground specifically in those situations where no calling takes place.  We are a fickle bunch in terms of our interpretation of turkey-hunting ethics....
No worries, I did not take it as criticism.  We are certainly a fickle bunch with our own opinions and what works for some may not for the next guy.  As long as it's done in fair chase, all is good. It's an interesting topic for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

a_jabbo

Just like any type of hunting, I think it's all personal preference. If it's not illegal then by all means. I'm not one for shooting them out of the tree, but that's my personal preference. Wouldn't look down on someone that has scouted hard, and put in a lot of time to get that close to take one off the roost. My hat goes off to them.

Ctrize

How many states allow roost shooting? And I wonder if it has something to do with birds being easy targets while in the trees and the early days when perhaps there were no limits on numbers.I too understand the skill of those hunters who consistently slip in close to roost but for most hunter's it does not make for a great story when the final result is a bird killed on the roost. But that is subjective as was the discussion years ago with some Florida hunters over hunting deer with dogs as they do there and over bait as we did at the time in Michigan.

dirt road ninja

I've got no issue with it. In fact I find it hard to do, most of the time I get that close it normally ends with me buggering up that bird, at least for a few hours.

My question to all of you is shooting a tree hopper OK? I've got no issue at all killing it.

CALLM2U

Not always, but generally when we think of ethics, it's in the context of an unfair advantage for us over the game we hunt.  Baiting, hunting from ATVs ect (when legal of course) 

When I think about the OP scenario, in my personal experience, if I try to slip in under a roosted gobbler, 9 times out of 10, I'm going to mess it up.  It's not easy to do by any means-at least any of the states I hunt. 

I don't think it's an unfair advantage.  In fact, in most cases, can be down right difficult.  I don't see it in the same category of advantage such as shooting a bird on a limb with his head still tucked under it's wing. 

I realize that's not a hard line, but just a thought.

Delmar ODonnell

I've never killed a gobbler right at flydown, but I've had a turkey make a fool out of me too many times when I thought I had a great setup off the roost to think I have an unfair advantage.