OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope eye protector

Started by blake_08, January 02, 2020, 07:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Hello all, I have a Simmons pro diamond on my turkey gun and during a hunt last season, I noticed it was missing the little rubber cushion on the ocular end of the scope. Since then, I have called Simmons trying to get a replacement and they couldn't help. I've looked around some but can't find anything that looks like a good replacement. Does anyone have experience with replacing these with an aftermarket product? I don't really want one of the butler creek flip up covers, just some kind of rubber cushion. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

I put one of these on my Leupold Turkey Plex.  Works great.  Description states "fits most scope eyepieces from 1.4" to 1.6 diameter".

https://quake.bpishopping.com/shop/optic-covers/scope-eye-scope-recoil-pad.html

blake_08

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 02, 2020, 08:09:56 PM
I put one of these on my Leupold Turkey Plex.  Works great.  Description states "fits most scope eyepieces from 1.4" to 1.6 diameter".

https://quake.bpishopping.com/shop/optic-covers/scope-eye-scope-recoil-pad.html
I seen those but everywhere I could find them said out of stock or discontinued. Looks like the link you posted is my answer. Thank you very much.

Bowguy

Guys I can't help you but I gotta wonder how you're hitting yourself in the eye? It's a pretty inexperienced type occurance.  Not trying to offend anyone just wondering if it's actually happening or just a precaution?  Might be something you really don't need.

blake_08

Just a precaution. It never hit me when it had the rubber piece on it but I sure don't want it hitting me without it. Pretty sharp edge on it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Bowguy on January 03, 2020, 10:22:14 AM
Guys I can't help you but I gotta wonder how you're hitting yourself in the eye? It's a pretty inexperienced type occurance.  Not trying to offend anyone just wondering if it's actually happening or just a precaution?  Might be something you really don't need.
Never have myself actually, but I have several buddies that have have done some serious damage, usually shooting from awkward positions.  And those Leupold optics have pretty sharp edges.  Seems like real cheap insurance to me.

Bowguy

I hear ya guys. I'm just saying most of this occurs early on in our shooting career. Extra precautions could never hurt.

wvmntnhick

I've not had it happen in a couple decades or so but I'd certainly want something on my shotgun. Those things recoil more than most guns when touching off those 3.5" Roman candles. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I would say if you can find some kind of a replacement , do it ... nothing worst than big cut above the eye...and being out in the woods or fields by yourself ....