turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gloves/Facemask - Your go to

Started by turkeykiller22, December 10, 2019, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

What are your go to gloves and facemask? Help me understand what you look for when picking these out. Is there something missing on the market that you want? Are the products you use up to the quality that you desire?

I will start.... I want a mask that is mesh and has a bit larger holes than most. To me that makes it more breathable and holds less heat in. I want the bridge of the nose to be structured and not elastic so that way it does not slide up my nose while turning my head. I wear a 3/4 mask that I pull around my neck while walking.

Thanks for your help!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Kylongspur88

I've got several face masks and have no idea what brand they are. If they cover my face mission accomplished. In the spring I usually wear some old black cotton gloves with the left and right trigger fingers cut off. In colder weather I wear some old mechanix gloves with the trigger fingers cut off. They're cheap and the do the job.

Loyalist84

Not exactly what you had in mind, but I wear a camo print Buff for turkey hunting and used them for bush work before that to keep the black flies away. Thin but very elastic, and enough material to wear as a full balaclava or as a 3/4 mask depending on your preferences, pulled down like a 3/4 mask around my neck when I'm not set up. I wear glasses, so I need something that I can pull under my nose to avoid fogging but doesn't have a chafing elastic band around the opening. I find mesh gets full of DEET grease and is just too annoying for me to wear for extended periods of time. I would love a thin mask with a full nose opening at the nostrils to minimize fogging otherwise, but the Buff has worked well enough for me that I'm not gonna change until it stops working for me.

As for gloves, anything that's thin and camo with a grippy palm and a long cuff to avoid skin exposure at the wrists while I shoot. I like something with slim, stretchy fingers to avoid having room at my fingertips when I'm on calls or grabbing stuff throughout the day. But I'm a small guy with lady hands, so that's my own problem more than anyone with regular man hands who fits into the regular off the rack work and hunting gloves at Wal-Mart. I bought the Mossy Oak brand ones in Obsession, and while I'd prefer a rougher, more abrasive grip on the palm, I have nothing to complain about with them!

Sixes

I usually wear a Ol Tom Boonie hat with face mask built in, as long as you remember the hat, then you will not forget the mask.

As far as gloves, sot sure the brand, but they are stretchy tight and cut off at the middle finger joint

Greg Massey

This is not much help , but face mask / gloves is like finding a turkey vest or satchel , that works best for you ..In my area , early May and April can still be pretty damp , foggy and cold so you have to wear and adjust to the elements .. I've wore light weight coveralls and bib's the first of season.. it's what you learn as a turkey hunter, adapting and wear what you have created in clothing ...

3bailey3

the SA face mask that is advertised on here 5 for 20 bucks, I like them, any glove will work

Sir-diealot

I have the same Ol Tom Boonie hat with face mask built in that Sixes mentions above me, unfortunately it is just a tad to small in the eye hole area for me and pulls up into the bottom and corners of my eyes and is not wide enough for my glasses. If they the fabric attached about a half inch further back it would be the bomb. I have a major problem finding headnets and have had problems with every camo paint out there, the all run off when I sweat. I did find a black Rino Skin pullover mask that works quite well in the blind as I wear all black in the blind also.

For gloves when in blind I wear black Rino Skin gloves and outside the blind some gloves I got off MidwayUSA.

Hats and gloves are always a problem as I have a very large head and hands are different due to my accident in 88 and what goes over the right hand often won't go over the left.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkey_picker

The face mask I use is an old Primos that is a full face with eye holes and a mouth hole. I wear glasses and sometimes my glasses fog up a bit, maybe bigger mouth hole might heip with the problem. As for the gloves I use, they are some thin gloves (maybe Remington brand the Wal-Mart used to carry) that I have cut the tips out. Both have worked for years and if it's not broken don't fix it.

Delmar ODonnell

For a facemask, I have 2 requirements. It has got to be 3/4 where I can wear it around my neck and just pull it up when needed. I can't stand the one's that require you to take your hat off and pull it over your head, then have to take it off when you don't have to wear it. Too easy to lose it and just another thing to scramble to do when you strike that bird that's so close you have to "hit the dirt." Second is I prefer mine to be loose fitting. Personally, I feel that the ones that are skin tight to my mouth hinders my calling, especially when trying to do the soft stuff and/or have a dry throat. I've been using the loose fitting one from Nomad, but I have a couple of cheap backups in my vest that'll do the job just as well.

Gloves, I prefer ones that are cheap, skintight, and lightweight. I cut every finger off at the middle joint on both gloves for better dexterity. Bought a few $9 pair at Walmart that fit the bill perfectly. Doesn't feel near as bad when you leave a cheap glove in the woods.

Happy

More of a face paint guy. However if I wear a facemask it's just one of those 3/4 type I can just pull up over my nose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

I prefer a 3/4 mask but for some reason they are about impossible to find one that is adjustable.  I think I am doing the face paint thing next year. Gloves I found the cheapest, coolest, and thinnest pair of gloves that will fit tight to my hands, do not care about brand or look. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Upfold99

Facemask is 3/4 so I can wear around my neck. I also like loose fitting for turkey hunting. I dont like running mouth calls with skin tight facemask.

For gloves, I have tried several pair and always go back to my tried and true. I like a tight non insulated glove. I dont know the brand and cant seem to find them, but I bought a pair of leather shooting gloves, black with camo on top about 20 years ago. I still use them every hunt. They are like my safety blanket..lol.. Picture a  black batting glove with camo fabric top.

stinkpickle

I just use whatever I find on sale.

deerhunt1988

Been using Natural Gear's cool-tech face mask the past several years. Really like it, definitely one of the best I've used. It's breathable and dries quicker than others.

https://naturalgear.com/natural-gear-cool-tech-stretch-facemask/

Jrkimbrough

gloves are no biggie for me, whatever I have laying around as long as they aren't hot and have the finger tips cut out.

I use a Under Armour 3/4 mesh facemask that has an adjustable drawstring.  Best on the market IMO!  I love that you can adjust how tight it fits.  Nothing worst than a facemask too tight across my nose!