OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Turtle call

Started by mastevt, November 23, 2019, 09:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

Been working on this call now for a couple weeks, and finally finished it up.  Really happy with the sound.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

3bailey3

very nice, I have never saw one with a glass playing surface, most have been slate

Sir-diealot

I have been wanting one of those since I first saw them about a year ago, can't swing $400.00-$500.00 for a call though. Same article I first saw a cow horn yelper by the way. https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/strut-zone/2014/03/turkey-hunting-4-beautiful-deadly-oddball-custom-calls/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

Sharp looking call, very nice work

KentuckyHeadhunter

Nice...I have always thought you made the best looking turtle-shell calls.  Its been a while since I've seen one from you. Thanks for sharing.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

mastevt

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on November 24, 2019, 09:56:01 AM
Nice...I have always thought you made the best looking turtle-shell calls.  Its been a while since I've seen one from you. Thanks for sharing.

Well thank you.  To be honest, This is only my 2nd one.  After the 1st one, I found out from a friend, who is a Conservation LEO, that making one is ok, but you cant sell it.  Nor can you mail it, especially across statelines.  There would be multiple laws broken if you did, including a federal law.  So, that said, this call was a freebe, and he is picking it up and transporting it, therefore taking all the risk.  All I did was make it.  I do appreciate the kind words tho.  Thanks everyone.

outdoors

If you had a turtle call a fish @ game saw it your butt is there's no question ask
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mmclain

Can't do that in TN.   They don't want you to make anything out of them to even give away.

1iagobblergetter

Greg Massey

Nice looking call, one of my first turkey calls was turtle shell with piece of slate glue into the shell , i still have this call...

3bailey3

I used to see some listed on eBay are yall sure it is illegal to hunt with them?

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 24, 2019, 09:11:09 PM
I used to see some listed on eBay are yall sure it is illegal to hunt with them?
Wondering the same thing? Or is it just because it's a Box turtle she'll?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on November 24, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
I honestly think it depends from state to state.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mastevt

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 24, 2019, 10:33:45 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on November 24, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
I honestly think it depends from state to state.

When I spoke with the conservation officer, It was detailed to me, that it is not illegal to make them, or to play them.  It is illegal to sell them and transport them across state lines.  The federal offence comes in mailing them.  Because your using a federal ageny.  Now statutes may vary from state to state, so Id advise to check that out.  I for one, am following the law.  Hope this helps.

Cool Ridge Clucker

I have one of them myself.  I really like the sound I get out of it.  The slate came from a slab of slate found on a highway job our company was working on.  I know a few people who make them turtle shell calls, but none of them "hunt" them for that purpose.  They are always made out of old, dead turtles whose shells are left behind.  An unusual amount can be found along railroad tracks because they often get stuck under or between rails and end up dying there.