OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Displaying Beards/Spurs

Started by t_eagen13, February 12, 2011, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_eagen13

I'm looking for a nice way to display the beards and spurs from all the the turkeys I shoot. I'd like to keep them all together somehow, like keeping the spurs and beard from the same turkey together. I'd like to maybe line them up somehow from year to year with pictures to help remember different hunts, maybe display the date or year somewhere. I'm thinking they would go on some type of wooden board. Any one do something like this or something similar?

TANK

I don't have a picture because I haven't done it yet. I have my Great Grandpa's old crosscut saw. I'm gona hang it on the wall, with the teeth facing towards the ceiling. Then I'm going to hang a beard and set of feet over each tooth. I'm thinking of maybe having some kind of swamp turkey pic painted on it, but ain't sure yet. As for your dates you could always do the shotgun brass/beard thing and a sharpie to write the date on each.......

kyhareraiser

on my kills,i string the spurs with bone beads  on a  waxed lace and that looks real good and on my beards ,i cut the plastic of the shotgun shell,punch out the primer and take some brass wire (get it at wal-marts craft section) take a piece about 3 " long ,fold even and stick into the hull letting the hoop come out where the primer was ,then twist it in a knot so it won't go through the primer hole .then take a glue gun fill the brass up half way .stick the beard butt to the bottom and let cool and then fill the rest up with the glue gun and when it cools ,trim off whats above the brass ..i hang them on a turkey plaque made with wooden pegs ..gonna have to get another one,,this one's getting over crowded

barry

I like TANKS idea using an old crosscut saw blad
Here's mine. I made the board with the half mount on it, then ran out of room so just started drilling a hole in piece of deer antler, gluing the beard in and stringing them up. You could always place your spurs on the string on either side of the beard

yella yelper

I hang mine on a thick leather shoelace. Run that trough the leg bone on the spurs. On the beards, I cut the plastic off my hull, punch out the primer, put a small eye screw in there (similar to screen door latch), put the beard in the brass and fill with silicone. The eye screw can be threaded onto string with a spur on each side

turkey slayer

Quote from: TANK on February 12, 2011, 11:38:36 AM
I don't have a picture because I haven't done it yet. I have my Great Grandpa's old crosscut saw. I'm gona hang it on the wall, with the teeth facing towards the ceiling. Then I'm going to hang a beard and set of feet over each tooth. I'm thinking of maybe having some kind of swamp turkey pic painted on it, but ain't sure yet. As for your dates you could always do the shotgun brass/beard thing and a sharpie to write the date on each.......
I like your Idea!

WyoHunter

Very impressive display barry.  :happy0064: As for me I take the beard and place it in the empty shotshell that killed it.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

VAHUNTER

i just tack mine up on a beard board. i would love to find a old barbers cabinet with a glass door to hang them in. i have seen a couple and they look great
Good things come to those who wait

TRKYHTR

Treerooster has a great display of each subspecies that he has killed. I have a beard rope that I hang my beards and spurs on. I use the brass from the shell and write on the brass when where and how big. It works for me. I try to keep the beard between the spurs that go together.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

VAHUNTER

good lord Joe that rope is as long as a football field  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
before OG and meeting you i had never thought of California as a turkey state. i just about feel out of my chair when you posted the pic of the farm you hunt. the one with strutters everywhere !!!!!

vaturkey

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 12, 2011, 06:49:11 PM
good lord Joe that rope is as long as a football field  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
before OG and meeting you i had never thought of California as a turkey state. i just about feel out of my chair when you posted the pic of the farm you hunt. the one with strutters everywhere !!!!!

VAHUNTER

Joe wrote the song " CALIFORNIA DREAMER " :newmascot:
Vaturkey

knightrider

i give mine to  the neighbor kids they think their cool i also give them any deer racks i dont mount , they think that stuff is neat and it gives them a since of the out doors because their parents will not let them hunt, but they will let them decorate their rooms with stuff i give them  :cross2:

Basser69

Barry has the right idea. his display rocks!

slawman

A friend of mine does this for me for 25 dollars

VAHUNTER

Quote from: slawman on February 13, 2011, 07:50:51 AM

A friend of mine does this for me for 25 dollars
i like that !!! looks great and for a great price  :icon_thumright: