OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Now that I have him....  (Read 9492 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Now that I have him....
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
These are cleaned up and will finish cleaning them soon, but it gives you a way to see how they get done.

Untitled attachment 00026

They will end up like these soon.

IMG_20180407_101702875
Thanks bud, the visual certainly does help. I am also going to try to do something with the shotshell I got him with, I also have the slug shell from my first deer.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »
Got the spurs cut off, wanted to leave the scales on but things did not go well so they are off. Now I guess I have to let them dry overnight and put them in borax? Had a hard time cutting them, they are longer than others I have seen but I guess I can get a dremel tool and grind them down some.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
You’ll want to flesh the meat off the fan without seperating the thin membrane that holds the quills. I use a pairing knife and those brass/steel gun cleaning brushes to scape. Then spread the fan out on your drying board and pin in place. Generously cover the fleshed area with borax and let dry. Mine dries within 2 weeks but i flesh the hell out of it. i’d guess that the more meat you leave and a humid region can prolong the process, in which case i’d change out the borax during that time. If you have your mounting plaque, use it as a guide when pinning the fan.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
You’ll want to flesh the meat off the fan without seperating the thin membrane that holds the quills. I use a pairing knife and those brass/steel gun cleaning brushes to scape. Then spread the fan out on your drying board and pin in place. Generously cover the fleshed area with borax and let dry. Mine dries within 2 weeks but i flesh the hell out of it. i’d guess that the more meat you leave and a humid region can prolong the process, in which case i’d change out the borax during that time. If you have your mounting plaque, use it as a guide when pinning the fan.
Thank you much for the advise, I have it all set and drying now, going to go at least a month, maybe two to be safe. How long do I leave beard and spurs in borax?

John Koenig:

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
You're doing great! Here's a photo of what it would look like with the red meat removed and that thin yellow membrane holding the feathers together. I use a stiff metal brush, plus a razor and pairing knife. In particular, those parts cleaning brushes they sell at walmart or hardware stores. They're stiffer than the pet brush and about the size of a toothbrush. Don't overthink the borax. It doesnt hurt anything to leave it covered. Dry time will depend on how much meat is left, your humidity levels, etc. If you check it and its still damp, cover with new borax. I'm about to do mine this weekend!   

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 12:36:15 AM »
You're doing great! Here's a photo of what it would look like with the red meat removed and that thin yellow membrane holding the feathers together. I use a stiff metal brush, plus a razor and pairing knife. In particular, those parts cleaning brushes they sell at walmart or hardware stores. They're stiffer than the pet brush and about the size of a toothbrush. Don't overthink the borax. It doesnt hurt anything to leave it covered. Dry time will depend on how much meat is left, your humidity levels, etc. If you check it and its still damp, cover with new borax. I'm about to do mine this weekend!   
Well you did much better than I did. The other thing you did that I did not was remove the bone, I was told not to worry about it.

John Koenig:

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 01:27:40 AM »
Actually that's a photo I found online. I've never taken pics of the process, but they look just like that once all the meat is removed. I remove the bone. Its cleaner and easier to level and fit in plaques. The more unnecessary meat and stuff you remove, the better chances it will preserve and not get bugs or rot in the future.   

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 04:43:55 AM »
Actually that's a photo I found online. I've never taken pics of the process, but they look just like that once all the meat is removed. I remove the bone. Its cleaner and easier to level and fit in plaques. The more unnecessary meat and stuff you remove, the better chances it will preserve and not get bugs or rot in the future.
Bummer, I can't remove the bone now.

John Koenig:

Offline Manoflaw

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »
These are cleaned up and will finish cleaning them soon, but it gives you a way to see how they get done.

IMG_20180407_101702875

These look awesome

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
How long should I leave beard and spurs in Borax?

John Koenig:

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 04:32:53 AM »
Beard and spurs should be dry by now

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
Beard and spurs should be dry by now

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Okay, thanks. Beard got in first day but spurs were not to long ago so by that I think I will give it another week. Unfortunately I will not be able to clean them up for a few weeks anyway, I have shoulder surgery on Friday. I was going to build another call kit but decided not to get it because of the same reason.

John Koenig:

Offline WorkingBirds

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »

IMG_20180407_101702875
These are some of the best looking spurs I've seen, would you care to share your process with us?

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »
Everything is still in Borax, I wanted to be good and sure the thing was dry. I bought a coping saw and have to get that bone out of the tail or I can't mount it the way I want. A friend is going to come over and do that for me, I do not trust my hands enough for that job, guess I will have to put back under borax again.

John Koenig: