turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HUGE HOOKS!! from WI

Started by MK M GOBL, May 04, 2019, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I like hickory and persimmon on mine. Purpleheart and tulipwood runs outstanding on it also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

DUCKDIGGLER

DANG!!!  Nice!  Congrats to you on a SLOB! :drool:

yelpy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 05, 2019, 10:54:27 AM
I like hickory and persimmon on mine. Purpleheart and tulipwood runs outstanding on it also.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

It's a shame ones broke but it's still a impressive set of hooks.

Droebuck

Awesome Tom! Those are some monster hooks.

Waynesworld23

Dang that old boy has some daggers on his legs bird like that doesn't come along often congratulations for being part of it
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

MK M GOBL

Quote from: yelpy on May 05, 2019, 10:19:40 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 04, 2019, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: yelpy on May 04, 2019, 09:39:17 PM
That is awsome!! Congrats on a dandy!!!

I'll have to get one of those World class pots. Been wanting one for a bit. It seems to be a great call for you.

Im with MK M on those cody world class slates. I have one and personally love it. I have a second on the way as a back up. Also been on CODYs list for a spec 1 legend. Great call.
I have a drop dead slate that I havent hunted yet this year.

What strikers are you guys running on the World Class slate?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I run CODY's Light Hickory 90% of the time.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on May 05, 2019, 01:11:42 PM
It's a shame ones broke but it's still a impressive set of hooks.

Happens a lot around here, ridge & valley / rivers and bluffs with a lot of exposed rock. See busted spurs on even the shorter ones...

MK M GOBL

tal

2" spurs are the bird of a lifetime. Now guess his age....

MK M GOBL

Quote from: tal on May 05, 2019, 10:20:25 PM
2" spurs are the bird of a lifetime. Now guess his age....

Well have never really seen data on this other than the "3+ Years old". A few buddies and I were talking about this we guessed 7-8 years, not that it's the way to do this but we all went to age a whitetail, talked genetics, age structure, food/diet and everything. In reality it's a guess, my quote was it's like killing a 200" Whitetail, for perspective. I looked this up for our state and would be the #2 Spur length in the state by NWTF

So what's your guess by age?

I do remember a post of someone shooting a banded bird that had dates, killed with some hooks and had that data... Maybe see the post and can enlighten us.

MK M GOBL

eggshell

QuoteI do remember a post of someone shooting a banded bird that had dates, killed with some hooks and had that data... Maybe see the post and can enlighten us.

I ran a check station from 1979 -2006 and we checked some tagged birds and got information on tag data. One thing I quickly learned was the old assumed aging criteria was only generally true. I remember checking several birds that were tagged as Jakes and of known age. we had two in particular that were tagged at the same tagging site and time as Jakes. Two brothers killed both these birds on consecutive days as two year olds. One had the normal 3/4" rounded turned spurs but the other had one inch sharp spurs and most people would assume be a 3 year old. What I think is the best guideline is anything up to 1" -1 1/8" that has  no curve is likely a 2-3 Year old, anything with a curve that is more straight then turned up is 3-4 YO, with a distinct curve and very sharp and at least 1 1/4" is 4+, and after that it's all conjecture. Knowing life spans and survival for an area would give you some insight. That Wisconsin bird could be anywhere from 5-10 years Old.....it's a guess. My guess would be 6+. Like deer genetics come into play as well.

Harty

Awesome bird Randy! I'm sure you were elated sharing the moment with a very good friend and whooped loudly when you took a look at those legs

Swenny

Great spurs and a great story.  Thanks for sharing, I LOVE reading hunting stories and seeing awesome photos.

tal

Like religion and politics, I expected more controversy.. LOL. Good and  interesting posts. Biological facts are still in short supply with turkeys.

oakraidia

Wow! That's awesome, congrats!

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk