Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you work a box call handle up or down?

Started by notsure, April 28, 2019, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsure

I've always worked a box call with the handle (paddle) pointed down. Any advantage to turning the call upside down?

TauntoHawk

Quote from: notsure on April 28, 2019, 11:04:20 AM
I've always worked a box call with the handle (paddle) pointed down. Any advantage to turning the call upside down?
Personal preference. I often run the left rail handle down and the right rail handle up on long boxes for no particular reason

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

30_06

I don't know if it's advantageous or not but I've always worked it with the handle up. Seemed more intuitive and easier to adjust pressure for me.

Esse quam videri

Marc

Handle up...  Control the handle right-handed, use the left thumb to control pressure for clucks/purrs or cutting...  Switch if I use the other side of the call.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

HookedonHooks

Just recently started with boxes and playing the call "upside down" or handle pointed up at first was odd, but with practice, soon felt much more natural. As others said, so much more control and ability to adjust pressure/volume without hesitation.

Went from not really liking box calls because they sounded like box calls, to finding the turkey in them and loving them.

Gooserbat

There's not a wrong way. Just practice and find what works best for you.  That's the right way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Handle up, let the weight of the paddle rest on the rails, as the call maker designed it.  I do play the end of the paddle toward me for one rail and the end of the paddle away from me for the other rail.  Normally 2 different distinct hen yelps.  Clucks, cutts and purrs can be controlled on either rail.

Clydetaylor1

1iagobblergetter

yelpy

Both if they will run both ways.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Both... yelping paddle up. Cutting always down. That's how I've ran it. Just more comfortable for me.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Spitten and drummen

I play it both ways as well as conventional. I will also hold the lid and run the box itself. You can get several diffrent hens out of single box call doing this
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Wisgobbler

Greg Massey

You can get more birds out of it by running it backwards or upside down .. watch Tim Murdock run one this way on youtube or facebook .... Tim Lisa Murdock is how you look him up on facebook...

JMalin

Down.  Probably why I didn't kill a bird on my out of state trip to New Mexico