turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Knight and Hale RNG 300 users

Started by troutfisher13111, April 26, 2019, 09:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Guys who own and have used this vest what do you think of it? Is it as comfortable as they claim? Could a guy put a ThermaCELL in the box call pocket?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Yes and Yes.  I had/have nearly every vest and the RNG 300 is really near perfect, especially for pot call guys.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 26, 2019, 09:24:58 AM
Yes and Yes.  I had/have nearly every vest and the RNG 300 is really near perfect, especially for pot call guys.
Can you put a ThermaCELL in the box call pocket?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Yes, that's what I use that pocket for. I don't carry box calls.

tha bugman

I am a RNG 200 user and I actually zip tied my thermacell to the molle loops on the left side of the vest. 

bbcoach

I'm not trying to hijack but these vests look Great.  They seem to be comfortable (with the padding in the back and seat area), fit well and laid out well.  I may see a new RNG 300 vest in my future.  What kind of reviews would, you guys that have them, give them?

NCSWAMPFOX

Fl boss came to N.C. hunting with me and I noticed his rng 300. Tried it on and ordered one next day. Vest came in this past Monday and off to the farm I went to hunt for few days. Was reluctant to change from vest I'd been hunting in for last 5 seasons. I was impressed with fit and performance right out the gate. Ended up tagging old swamp bird in it and can't be more happier with it. Vest also made me condense all the gear I was hauling around I didn't really need . I don't like change and am an old schooler at heart but I was glad I switched.

land cruiser

Love mine, second season and I have not touched my other vests, nor do I intend to

ejhandler

Just ordered one this year, and although i haven't owned a ton of upper end vests yet, I think this one has ended my search. I was using an Alps Grand Slam but was looking for something even lighter and more compact, athletic fit (I'm only 5'11" 165 lbs and most vests fit me like garbage bags). Super light weight, tons of adjustments for a nice athletic fit for smaller frames, tons of storage if you still want to pack the kitchen sink. I like the seat system. Only possible down fall is no game bag for those that like to carry a decoy or turkey. I rarely bring a decoy and have always used a tote for carrying birds out, so I prefer the less intrusive back pack. Material is a little in the thin side, like a tyvek material, but I think it will hold up decent. Thermacell also fits nicely in the water bottle pouch if you carry a box. It was between the RNG300 and the Alps Long Spur this year, I don't regret my decision.

Found a 1.5L bladder on Amazon that fits nicely in case anyone is looking https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075FDTQZ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

RED NECK

Excellent vest,It has become my favorite vest I have used.I can't wait until I get the rng bottom land 300 for next year.11-10
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

tha bugman

One thing I have noticed with the RNG 200 is that a water will quickly get your back wet if you are leaning against a wet tree. (Imagine that.. ;D)  I also felt like I wanted a little more padding as well.  To remedy this, I took the back pad out of my Ol' Tom shirt, folded it over and slid it in the pocket were the hydration bladder would go. Hunted out of it this morning and I really noticed a big difference in comfort. 

Jrkimbrough

I absolutely love mine!  Ive got the newer bottomland version and it has a water bottle pouch on one side where I stick my thermacell.

I swear it has more storage than my Alps grand slam vest.

Seat pad is top notch doesn't bottom out like lots of seats do.

I run a bladder in the backpack and if you stuff a small shirt in the back pack also it makes for a very comfortable back rest.

davisd9

I looked at both the 200 and 300.  The greener pattern was a hold up at first but then I saw the bottomland version.  Our early season can have little to no green up so too much of a green pattern and you stick out like a sore thumb.  Both vests looked to have good organization from what I could tell in photos and a couple videos.  I did not like the idea of my pot calls just being in an elastic style pocket for fear or losing them when I was making a move to a tree crawling or something similar. The biggest deal breaker for me was the no real back pad for sitting against a tree and no great place to carry an extra trumpet of two.  I understand some are saying to stuff a shirt in the pack to help with comfort but that just takes away from the storage capacity.  I think it is a great idea and really fits some guys, but for me I could not get over those few things. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

FL-Boss

A few things to note about the RNG 300 -  some have asked me questions so I thought I would dump in all at once...

1. The new version of this vest has pull ties to secure down pot calls in the elastic holders. However, I also had the older version that did not have this, and never had a pot calls fall out.

2. The back pad - if you run a water bladder in the back, it adds a lot of back padding. I use the Badlands 1 liter. It's fits real nice and the bladder does not have a lot of hard plastic. There is a little clip the comes with the vest, and it will clip and secure the top of water bladder to prevent it from falling all the way down. Also the drink end of the tube will fit right through the D ring on the shoulder of the vest. So the tube is nice and secure.  Also - if your water is cold, it adds some cool relief to your back on the hot days.

3. The vest come with a custom strap to carry decoys and also comes with a turkey tote so you don't need a back bag to tote a bird. I for one never used the back turkey bags on any of my past vests -  and I think most people don't.  Who wants to spend 30 min cleaning out all the blood and junk from the back of the vest. Just use a nice tote.. or throw the bird in a cheap decoy bag.

4. The back seat -  it's real nice and flips up just like the Cabela's vest. Some folks have a hard time figuring out the seat. Tech tip to make is easier: before you deploy or stow your seat, unbuckle the lower front buckle - the one at your belly button.  Doing this will expand the bottom of the vest out and make working with the seat much easier. Also leave that buckle undone when you are sitting down. 

5.  As stated above, 90% of the turkey vest out there are "one size" and seem to be made for guys 250lbs +.  I'm a regular size guy (175lbs, 34w) and nearly every vest will swallow me. Not this one.. it has a ton of adjustment and may even work for the kids or ladies. 

No vest is perfect, as we all like to carry different stuff. For pot call guys especially, this one is great. Again, I have/had them all, and only choose this vest now. Another good feature is many of the storage pockets inside each pocket are stacked... so unlike most vests, all your junk is NOT falling straight to the bottom of each pocket.

Also the back pocket has a lot of pockets inside to organize, plus the straps on the outer side to secure anything else..

bbcoach

Some of you have been talking about the back padding in this vest.  It looks very comfortable to me compared to the old Primos vest that I have that has very little padding.  It shows 3 pads for your back and even a lower lumbar pad that looks to be very comfortable.  As I stated earlier, it seems to be well thought out with plenty of storage.  The only drawback I see is NO game bag, which I use frequently with my Primos vest.  I understand it comes with a turkey tote so that isn't a deal breaker.  I can figure something out if it's comfortable and has plenty of storage.  I probably use a turkey chair 95% of the time while setting anyway.  How comfortable is the back padding?  I'm a pot call guy(normally carry 4 or 5 with me) so is there enough space for the added 2 or 3?