OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WV struggle bus!

Started by Nidanation, April 19, 2019, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidanation

My goodness fellas I am on the struggle bus! Birds seem to not be gobbling much here. This is the first time in years I have had off opening week, yes you read that correctly, week not day. I still have both tags in my pocket. I don't think I have ever hunted this hard either. Today was my closest call and I had the best encounter with a Gobbler that I'll never forget even as I watch him walk off. He Gobbler his head off once I started yelling and clicking to him. Did not shock gobble once! Anyways he pitched down and came on a rope to me at 80 yards gobbling the whole time. Lonesome hen decoy out he saw her and went away down the holler. I was sick. I'm off next week from work as well so I hope my luck will turn around. Good luck to all and stay safe!!

The Southpaw

I've been hearing mixed reports in WV. Some say the birds are hot, while others have heard very little. I think things will really open up this coming week, based on the weather. 

turkeyfoot

Them decoys save fair amt turkey lives if i was hunting woods I would leave it and set up when he comes into view he is in range

Happy

Not sure where you are in Wv but here in the mountains things are normal for this time of year as far as I have noticed. I have only hunted one day in that state but the hens are hanging with most of the Tom's all day. Course there are some two year olds that are easy pickings floating around from time to time. Give it another week or two if the weather holds and a lot of hens will be starting to leave to tend to nests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

runngun

Hang in there!!! Give'em heck!!! Just don't tump the bus over!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Nidanation

I've been hunting Mason&Putnam county. It's been brutal. I actually get time off this week as well and plan to hunt hard after Easter. Fingers crossed it gets better!

kyturkeyhunter4

Same way here in Kentucky for me birds are hened up bad and not much gobbling at all.

Meatseeker

Hunted Monday through Friday in Pocahontas County in Monongehela National Forest.  Opening day was brutal, 29 degrees, 40 mph winds and snow flurries.  All quiet that day.  My boy and I had decent action on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  We had action every day.  Birds were pretty henned up, but more vulnerable after 9:00 am.  My boy shot a decent one on Tuesday.  1" spurs, 9" beard, 17 lbs.  We had three other very close encounters (inside of 35 yards but couldn't close the deal because of how the birds came in).  It was our first time in WV.  Beautiful country,  but a big change for two flat landers.  We hiked 8 to 9 miles a day all up and down.  We really enjoyed it down there.  Hoping to go back next year.

Nidanation

Congratulations! Yea that is steep country for sure! Beautiful in the fall.

Zeke6685

Hunted in Harrison co Monday- Thursday. Not much gobbling after they hit the ground. Still seem henned up late in the morning, should get better the next 2 weeks. I did manage to kill a good one Thursday morning, heaviest WV bird my dad and I have ever seen, 25.1 lbs.

Nidanation

Finally! After 9 days of hard hunting the good Lord blessed me with a 2 year old bird! He had a 9" beard and 7/8" spurs. I didn't weigh him. Time of death was 11:48 it was insane. Almost went in all day due to not hearing a gobble until I found this guy. He put on a show and gobbled his head off. No giant but most rewarding bird to date. Just proves to stay with it guys and keep your head up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

wvboy

Quote from: Meatseeker on April 20, 2019, 08:45:51 PM
Hunted Monday through Friday in Pocahontas County in Monongehela National Forest.  Opening day was brutal, 29 degrees, 40 mph winds and snow flurries.  All quiet that day.  My boy and I had decent action on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  We had action every day.  Birds were pretty henned up, but more vulnerable after 9:00 am.  My boy shot a decent one on Tuesday.  1" spurs, 9" beard, 17 lbs.  We had three other very close encounters (inside of 35 yards but couldn't close the deal because of how the birds came in).  It was our first time in WV.  Beautiful country,  but a big change for two flat landers.  We hiked 8 to 9 miles a day all up and down.  We really enjoyed it down there.  Hoping to go back next year.

That is the County I grew up in.. it gets in your blood.. good job digging out one of them public land mountain birds.. where in the County were you??
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Meatseeker

RIMEL portion of MNF.

I'll be back.  I loved it down there.  Totally different world from northern flat land boy

Meatseeker

Nidanation way to stick it out.  That's great bird... congrats!

Zeke same to you.  Great job!