OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sleeping in the woods?

Started by wkyhunter, April 12, 2019, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Heck at times it's part of my strategy, Gobblers been hearing that hen all morning while he's been taking care of business, now she's all quiet over there, better go find her. GOBBLE, GOBBLE where you at honey? 30 minutes of cat naps happens throughout my spring.

MK M GOBL

sasquatch1

I have been woken up to gobblers mid day every season. It's my plan around lunch if nothing happened yet.

Go to a known area that holds birds, call a little and nap, wait to hear one pop off who works his way in. I think from far off when they get close they gobble to try to see where that hen is at! Happens pretty much every season for me.

I've been known to all our lay down and just go to sleep lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

I do some of my best hunting when I sleep

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

oakraidia

Quote from: j.goebel on April 12, 2019, 06:48:03 PM
I always spray down with sawyer spray because of ticks and it definitely works to keep them away so you can nap!
I use Sawyer Spray too and it's amazing. I've picked up a tick before, placed it on my pants and watched it die. Since I started using it 5 years ago I haven't had a tick latch onto me.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

bigbird

The only time I worry about ticks is when I don't have any clothes treated in my permethrin mix. When I go I treat everything but my underwear. I wear these thigh high under armor socks that I treat and then all my outer and under garments minus the drawls. I never have a tick on me. Period

1iagobblergetter

I'm guilty. For me turkey hunting and a good nap go hand in hand at times.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Yep, enjoy it immensely.  No ticks to worry about here in New Mexico, but Permethrin every were else I hunt.

Sir-diealot

I even fall asleep in the blind, the trick is not falling off the chair. I have never used it before but after reading about it here I bought some water based Permethrin and will be using it this year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SD_smith

That's the closest to God that I'll ever be! Beautiful spring morning and dozing off under a big oak tree.

fallhnt

Tic born illness has been around long before you took your first nap in the woods. Nap away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkaholic

Quote from: SD_smith on April 13, 2019, 12:27:57 AM
That's the closest to God that I'll ever be! Beautiful spring morning and dozing off under a big oak tree.
yes to this, CAT NAPPERS BEWARE! Dozed off in turkey woods, herd something in leaves, looked up BOBCAT 10 yards from me. Scared us both almost to death. This is not the only encounter like this.
live to hunt hunt to live

Ctrize

Lol I fall asleep on purpose that way I know I'm not moving. I know the worry of ticks keeps me upright when aI would love to lay down on an all day hunt.

aclawrence

I've had great luck with permethrin to.  I guess you could get a tick in your head hair if your laying right in the ground.  A little treated piece of fabric would fix you right up. Now about those snakes though. Actually this reminds me of one morning on a camping trip of me waking myself up by smushing a spider in my ear. Dang it that still gives me the hibijibees.

Gooserbat

I've had some serious horizontal meditation in the turkey woods
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 13, 2019, 11:35:12 PM
I've had some serious horizontal meditation in the turkey woods

"Horizontal meditation"......................

CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.