turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anodized aluminum problem - HELP

Started by MountainPursuit, April 08, 2019, 11:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainPursuit

I picked up an anodized aluminum call and it sounds fantastic. I had read where people use alcohol to clean them. So I tried that with mine, and let it dry. I went to use it and it did not make any noise. I know you're not supposed to sand those calls, but I found to get any noise from it, I have to aggressively use scotch brite on it. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I dont want to sand it and lose my anodized finish or change the sound

BigSlam51

I use a scotch brite on mine, them sometimes wipe with an alcohol pad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LabsRUsII

Use scotchbrite green, then clean with alcohol , as above.   but the aluminum will load up on the striker too. I use 100 abranet to clean all tips
Copper and brass( clean same way) loads up the striker too
Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Clydetaylor1

What is the difference between anodized and regular aluminum ?

yelpy

Quote from: MountainPursuit on April 08, 2019, 11:28:54 PM
I picked up an anodized aluminum call and it sounds fantastic. I had read where people use alcohol to clean them. So I tried that with mine, and let it dry. I went to use it and it did not make any noise. I know you're not supposed to sand those calls, but I found to get any noise from it, I have to aggressively use scotch brite on it. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I dont want to sand it and lose my anodized finish or change the sound
I ran into the same problem with using alchohol.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

BTH

I have had  the same problem with 90% isopropyl which is supposed to evaporate all the way out. It seems that most anodized calls really respond better to a slight scuffing with a mild abrasive. The Van Cise aluminum I had was super picky when it wanted to play at all until just about all the anodizing was scuffed off.

I have run a Schaffer aluminum that is matte colored but slick and not blasted then anodized and it runs a touch better than the Van Cise. It was already scuffed a tad when I got it. Really a fine line between putting small grooves in it to play more consistent but it is very hard to get rid of should you want to in the future.

Based on the above and hearing the same from a lot of folks I am more of a fan of raw aluminum or blasted aluminum.
Phil 4:13

MikeStaten

Brown scotch brite or really lightly sanding should help.  Rain chalk also helps. 

MDTOM84

What % alcohol did you use? I have noticed that if you don't use the highest % alcohol you will have problems

hunter22

Bowguy

Quote from: BTH on April 09, 2019, 09:40:56 AM
I have had  the same problem with 90% isopropyl which is supposed to evaporate all the way out. It seems that most anodized calls really respond better to a slight scuffing with a mild abrasive. The Van Cise aluminum I had was super picky when it wanted to play at all until just about all the anodizing was scuffed off.

I have run a Schaffer aluminum that is matte colored but slick and not blasted then anodized and it runs a touch better than the Van Cise. It was already scuffed a tad when I got it. Really a fine line between putting small grooves in it to play more consistent but it is very hard to get rid of should you want to in the future.

Based on the above and hearing the same from a lot of folks I am more of a fan of raw aluminum or blasted aluminum.

Schafer's isn't slick. Bead blasted aluminum

Bowguy

This will hurt any resale but if you don't imo you might as well get rid of it anyway. On anondized I use sandpaper. Call will come alive

MountainPursuit

Thanks for all the input guys! I did use a high percentage alcohol and wont make that mistake anymore. So I bit the bullet and used some 220 sandpaper followed by a green scotch brite pad. Boy, IT MADE THAT CALL COME ALIVE. I did that on half of the call just where the aluminum is beginning to show. On the other half, I applied just some box chalk followed by a light hit with scotch brite. Both sound a little different and both sound good

hunter22

I have a Dawkins anodized aluminum that was too slick so I sanded all the finish back to bare aluminum. I have killed several gobblers with this call and I still use it a lot. But the thought of sanding a Dawkins turns a lot of people off.

Bowguy

Some makers of anondized aluminum, make sure it's raw or anondized send theirs already partly or wholly sanded.
Again there seems to be a misconception here, I'm speaking for no one else but Jimmy Schafer stated he uses nothing but bead blasted. Don't sand that.

MountainPursuit

My call is from a friend of mine who is a custom call maker. Anodized black over glass in a yellow heart pot. I had done nothing but scotch brite until I tried the alcohol. I'm kind of glad it happened now. After a little 220 grit, it made a great call sound even better!