OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Goodbye Hevi 7's

Started by roostershooter, May 01, 2011, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knotheadedfool

a bad shot is a bad shot.  I pulled a shot on a bird at ten steps shooting ER 5's 3.5 out of an 835.  The turkey was walking from my right to left and it looked like I hit him center mass.  I lost that bird.  A bad shot is a bad shot.

K-ZONE

Some just don't get it..! if your having a problem with 7's go back and do your homework something wrong somewhere and goin to a larger shot size isnt going to fix it.Hevi 7's are just to deadly.

Longshanks

Once you have done your homework on paper..then you have to learn your lessons in the woods..experience will teach you more than anything that shooting turkeys at 60yds is just asking to wound and miss turkeys...

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Longshanks on May 02, 2011, 06:50:54 PM
Once you have done your homework on paper..then you have to learn your lessons in the woods..experience will teach you more than anything that shooting turkeys at 60yds is just asking to wound and miss turkeys...

+100   AMEN
a shotgun isn't a rifle although some people seem to think they are
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spring_Woods

You gotta shoot what makes you feel the most confident. Congrats on the bird.  :wav:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

hobbes

First off.............Your gonna have to learn where and when to pick a fight.  Showing up to OG and even hinting that you've had issues with Hevi 13 #7's and you might as well walk into a biker bar and yell "HD Sucks".  On the other hand, mention you had issues with Hevi 13 #7's at the patterning board and throw out a few lot #'s and all is well..............go figure.

However........I can and will stomp birds all day long with copper plated lead #6's at 37 yards (I can miss them too).........I've not even shot H13 #7's and enjoy making fun of the H 13 groupies around here because they are very semilar to high school girls and call each other often to see what the other is wearing ;D, but have no doubt that Hevi #7's will do the same.............I hate to say it becuase I've denied it myself, but you missed the bird.

longspur

I'm inclined to believe I missed mine too. I just don't think he could run away from 159 pellets in a 10" circle around his head. I knew I would have to be pretty quick as he crossed the trail and back into the thicket. First year I've really had to aim. Always pointed it at his head, pulled the trigger and watched him flop.

gobbler74

Quote from: Longshanks on May 02, 2011, 06:50:54 PM

That's flat out the truth..don't ask what happened when one flops away from a 57 yard miss. I don't know what's up with folks takin long range shots because they believe there is a super shell in their gun. These shells are designed to give better coverage not twice the range. Even when I carry my 10 ga I pass up 60+ yard shots. It's no different than shooting with lead too far..you may have killed a couple with a lucky pellet but its gonna burn you one day and you'll have to blame every ounce of your equipment but yourself.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I've found that Star Dot chokes throw really tight patterns with Hevi13. 

Maybe a little bigger, more open pattern would help most of us?

Old Gobbler

I don't like to comment on controversial issues but this one time will add make a opinionated statement based on experience , not pointed at the original poster but rather a commentary at some of the other opinions added afterwards

40 yards in my mind will always be a long shot to me.

Like mentioned a shotgun is exactly that a shotgun not a rifle , nor will it ever be . People will and should try to improve the performance to enhance clean kills , the side product is that the range is increased - If one chooses to shoot  beyond what the equipment is capable of doing then the inevitable result will the direct opposite , the diminishing of clean kills. Everyone knows that is not good for the sport of turkey hunting .

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

outlaw

you have guys shootin at extremely  long ranges 50 and over because they think that hevi shot or tss is super the sport is to get them close some mite try farther with 10 gauge  or 3and a half but not with a3 inch gun have some ethics gobblers deserve it :turkey2:
Im a good guy !!!

gunrunner1983

killed one Saturday at 33 steps with h-13, 3.5, 2 1/4oz of # 7s he honestly wiggled a wing a few times and that was it. Ive turkey hunted for over 10 years and these are by far the best patterns Ive ever seen. I shoot a nwtf browning silver
and a .670 jellyhead choke. 133 pellets in a 4 inch circle at 40 steps. the bird i killled Saturday was dropping off a hill and i shot right before he disappeared. the main pattern hit him in the noggin the pellets actually exited his head truly a jellied head. i have 0 complaints about the #7s other than the price. 11 1/4 beard 3/4 spurs and 21#.

bbcoach

I want to clarify a couple of things about my statement of, We need to Shoot our Shotguns Like Rifles.  What I am trying to say is CONCENTRATE on a SMALL Spot on the neck of that Bird, Keep your Head Down and Squeeze the Trigger, like you would your Favorite Deer Rifle.  Be a Marksman!!!!  Aim SMALL, Miss SMALL!!!!  If we have done our Homework prior to the season, we will know where that Gun is shooting, POA=POI???  It is imperative with the tight patterns we have with todays guns and chokes, that we put those tight patterns on target.  

The next thing I want to clarify is, I DO NOT ADVOCATE taking LONG Shots at Turkeys with a SHOTGUN!!!!  Each of us need to know what our guns are doing at all ranges (just like your Favorite Deer Rifle).  There is a Maximum Range, that each of us need to establish, that we know we can harvest an animal 100% of the time and we need to stay within that range.

I want to express my apologizes to many of you that thought I was advocating long shots.  As a True Sportsman, I believe we should do everything Humanly possible to harvest every animal HUMANELY!!!  If you have ANY doubt, that you can't harvest a particular animal then let it walk.  KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT.  AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!!!!      

Dawn2Dusk

I don't know what it is about #7 Hevi shot, but it must cause catastrophic heart attacks in turkeys since it's not great at killing them in statistical means...

Massive heart attack

Massive heart attack

Massive heart attack

"Enjoying The Outdoors One Sunrise At A Time"

stinkpickle

Quote from: Dawn2Dusk on May 03, 2011, 10:40:34 AM
I don't know what it is about #7 Hevi shot, but it must cause catastrophic heart attacks in turkeys since it's not great at killing them in statistical means...

:TooFunny: