OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: burning out a spot  (Read 11436 times)

Offline bassman95

burning out a spot
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
Hey all,
I've hunted hard for a gobbler since the season started March 15 and still haven't tagged one. Ive been mostly focusing on a small piece of private land as I've observed plenty of turkeys and tracks there. It's around 100 acres.  I have walked around and called a fair bit, usually ever 15 minutes or so. I call for about 15 seconds each time. Is there any chance that I've burned out the spot with turkeys hearing my calling frequently and possibly seeing me? If so, I plan on exploring other land.

Offline Plush

Re: burning out a spot
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
From your explanation...patience and more preparation for the morning hunt would do you well. You are also probably calling too much. How much are you moving around and how often? 100 acres isn’t that big. You should be able to set up on them in the morning, I would think. Unless they simply don’t talk.

Offline bassman95

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
Ive only heard them talking once, last Saturday. They were gobbling their heads off at what almost sounded like another hunter calling, using the same 4 note yelp each time. It literally sounded just like my little push/pull call. Ive been setting up where a bunch of trails/dirt roads converge that connect woods with several fields before sun up and sitting till 8 or 9 and placing a strutter and hen decoy. So far, I've managed to call in a hen a few days ago but nothing this morning. Im not sure if I should start moving and calling to them.
Thus far I've never had one gobble back at my calling in this place and I'm pretty confident that Im calling correctly

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
I hunt a couple of small properties like this and have learned the hard way that run and gun is not effective.  I think your plan of calling and sitting at first light is the most effective, but stretch it out.  Especially if one answers you from the roost.  Let him work his way back around to the "hen" he heard in the morning.  It may take a while.  get a gobbler lounger and sit him out.  Call very sparingly.  Answer a hen if you hear one, you can't beat a live caller in front of you. And be prepared for him to come in without gobbling or making a sound. 

it is boring and I often get tired of it and hunt large public tracts so I can put some miles on my boots and get some interactions with birds.  But it is also effective.  Also, visit later in the morning sometimes. Afternoon even if you can hunt then.  Try to roost one so you know where he will be the next  morning. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
I hunt a little 80 on the river.  We really only hunt about 30 acres of it, down on the bottom.  There are plenty of times we hear birds in the AM while scouting and then they show up on trail cams at 11...call a little and then shut up and sit still.  for a few hours...

Offline bassman95

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
should most of my calling be of short duration, say less than 15 seconds and should I try different calls out every time I call?

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 08:15:14 PM »
It depends.   Vary the cadence and the calls.  I usually cut and purr a little.  After a while I may yelp.  Couple years back I heard a hen get fired up behind me on another property, so I started cutting back to her and got her all fired up.  Not 2 minutes later a gobbler breaks out on the field I am on.  He took a truck ride.  If it is windy or rainy, I may just call a little louder.  Switch from slate to mouth call. Sometimes both, but not often.  Be consistently inconsistent.  Nothing sounds worse than sitting making the same yelp sequence every 10 minutes like you are Big Ben.  Switch it up, have some fun. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »
on a small piece of land stay in the same spot, yelp three times and don't call again, wait 30 minutes then yelp three times again, old school!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
Turkeys will give you all the room you demand.  The goal should be to gain information without letting the turkeys know of your existence.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 12:46:07 AM »
My favorite way to hunt is run & gun...  But I will agree with others, that with 80 acres, this is not a good strategy.

It is all too likely that you will bump birds without knowing it.  If you are walking around calling, it is very likely that you have called birds in that have seen you and run off.

I would find a comfortable area to set up, that you can stretch out and be well-hidden, cause in my experience, killing birds on small property is all about sitting comfortably for longer periods.

Often, I will hit these properties later in the morning, and try to call in that lonely tom after the hens have left him for the nest....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »
There is no question that you can "burn out" an area,...especially a very small parcel like that.  Aggressively hunting any area over and over again can condition turkeys to avoid your calling and even leave the area entirely.  In all honesty, it sounds like you need to be looking for more places to hunt. 

I would be researching all public-land opportunities in the region, as well as start contacting local landowners to find other private parcels to hunt.

I have a personal philosophy about spring gobbler hunting.  That is, I would rather drive eight hours to find a place that will allow me to hunt gobblers the way I want to than to sit eight hours on a poor piece of property where I am relegated to hoping a gobbler wanders by.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 07:42:30 PM »
Are you mixing up your calls i.e. Pot calls, box calls, mouth calls or trumpets and such? and your presentation?

MK M GOBL

Offline bassman95

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
yea, ill do a few calls on the pot, box and mouth. How long does each call last for you? Do you sit and call for like a minute, 30 secs, 15secs? and how many times would you say you call each hour?

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
More like 15 seconds or actually less.  I think all here are talking about a cutt sequence, maybe with a yelp.  Maybe some purring, but not at the same time. Like 5 seconds.  Sometimes I may do a little longer sequence.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
This is getting a little ridiculous. Instead of worrying about timing of calls find another place to hunt a few days a week and give the turkeys in the private land a break 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?