OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Couple turkey behavior questions

Started by Bucktale, April 02, 2019, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktale

Curious about opinions on a couple of things:
I've got an area where we've taken 3 mature gobblers since season started 2 1/2 weeks ago here in NE Florida. Since then on cameras and in person, I've seen a bunch of jakes, but no more mature birds. Do you think the jakes move in when mature toms are killed? Is this an indication that no more mature toms are around?

Second question:
When hens are bred do they separate from the flock? In other words, does a group of 5-6 hens together indicate that they've not been bred and that gobblers should be nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

Quote from: Bucktale on April 02, 2019, 02:10:04 PM
When hens are bred do they separate from the flock? In other words, does a group of 5-6 hens together indicate that they've not been bred and that gobblers should be nearby?

Hens love sex as much, if not more, as gobblers.  They don't stop with the first breeding.  The absence of adult gobblers on camera means they are camera shy or that you have killed too many on that property.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

BB30

I've got an area where we've taken 3 mature gobblers since season started 2 1/2 weeks ago here in NE Florida. Since then on cameras and in person, I've seen a bunch of jakes, but no more mature birds. Do you think the jakes move in when mature toms are killed? Is this an indication that no more mature toms are around?

Second question:

If there are 5-6 hens around still together you probably have a gobbler somewhere.

Saw five hens alone last week mid morning on a property that I know has a pile of gobblers.

Turkey's are turkey's and will do their own thing. Gobblers will move in and out during the season depending on the pecking order. One may get pushed out of an area and start searching for hens. Just keep tabs on the place and I'd be shocked if another gobbler doesn't show up if he's not already there.

g8rvet

Second question:

How big is the property?  Are there lots of birds around you too? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bucktale

As it turns out, another mature gobbler showed up today after I posted the questions. My lease is 1800 acres, but this particular area is about 50 acres of pines next to a large swamp. It produces several gobblers each year.