OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best time of day to hunt fields for turkeys?

Started by ugaDAWGS09, March 26, 2019, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harty

Anytime can be a good time is indeed true, but optimize your chances but scouting and being aware of habitat. Waste grain fields pull birds early. Later on in the season greening alfalfa fields tend to have birds. Where do the hens like to nest? Good nesting habitat will always hold a few gobblers nearby. As noted previously birds will often enter and exit a field in the same spot. Through scouting I've found that some properties I hunt the birds show up early. One piece of property that is almost all tillable the birds work there way to by mid to late morning. Doing your homework is always beneficial. I love the hardwoods,but fieldhunting out of necessity recent years sure has been fun too!

Jcfd142

It's hard to say without scouting. Some mornings my birds fly down on the bottom field. Sometimes they fly down on the ridge above the field. I used to use a decoy in the field but don't anymore as they will almost always hang up 80 yards out or so. I want them thinking I am in the woods behind me. This year I made my own reaper fan and will give it a go if a bird hangs up.