OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: It's been real  (Read 2089 times)

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
It's been real
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
Well, there isn't too much of a story with my bird.  I missed him Saturday (misjudged the distance so bad its embarrassing). He gobbled 8-10 times on the roost and went silent when he hit the ground.  I snuck up a ravine and came up a deer trail and could hear him drumming.  Sat there about 15 minutes in the wide open on the upslope and a hen comes out to my right.  Soon as she went behind the only tree between us, I hit the deck.  Got my gun pointed where she came from and about 4 more hens filed past, and then I saw his fan.  He knew something wasn't right and stretched his head up out of strut and I fed him some 9s.  This was probably my last trip to MS for the year.  I've got the national championship Crappie tournament this week Thurs-Sat, and then it opens here in La.  My 7 year old has decided he is ready to kill a bird, so I will be guiding him probably the rest of the year.  If he can kill a bird, it will make my season for sure.

I'm glad I could put my one bird on the board and it looks like we are out to an incredible start.  Roost and Callaway have killed 2 monsters.  Callaway, where in the world did you kill a 26+ pound bird?

Good luck to everyone for the remainder of the season.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline ScottS

Re: It's been real
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
That’s awesome man! Hope to hear a good story about your little one getting a bird too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline callaway71

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Congrats on a successful hunt!  Good luck with your son. My son got his first last year, a jake, at 6 yrs old. We put in a lot of hours but them ole gobblers didn’t want to give him a close shot for the .410.

You asked about the weight of my bird. Funny story, Roost asked me how much I thought he weighed after I killed him. I said it would be lucky to weigh 22lbs. Guess my adrenaline was surging. When they weighed him at check in and 26lbs showed it blew my mind. These birds live on flat ground and around agriculture so that helps.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:49:34 AM by callaway71 »

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »

Here is the creek/ravine I snuck up.  I was laying on ground in bottom left corner of pic

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »
Congrats a stud of a bird... hoping you and your son have success.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
Good luck on the little guys hunt
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:25:37 AM »
Good luck on the remainder of your season man.