North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Alabama clear cuts **Updated**

Started by 3seasons, March 22, 2019, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3seasons

Alabama
March 21 2019
Hunting with friend Andy in the Weogufka Mountains of central Alabama, we had hunted a day and a half with no luck but had gotten messed up several times by other hunters of the Camp he was in.  It was crazy to be on private land and still have people come in on your set.  Well after our morning hunt Thursday we fixed our lunch on the back of the truck and went to a high hill in a fresh cut(still being cut) cutover. We could see for a ways and as were pulling up to the top of the hill Andy says the birds will be out there strutting and I said if we're gonna be wishing they are gonna be 30yds away.  As we crest the hill I see 5 birds 1 of which is strutting about 400yds away. We glass them and see its 3 hens and 2 gobblers so we back up off the hill out of sight and make a game plan.  We drive down the road past the gravel food plot road they are on and park about 600yds south of them on the other side of a big hill and a creek.  We grab our guns and a call and take off. We make it across the creek and through all the tree tops to the off side of the hill from the turkeys. Andy has a fan and said just stay close.  This was the first time I've ever done this, watched my little girl smoke on in Florida last year at 4ft but this was a first for me.  We slowly crawl to the crest of the hill and Andy says he can see them they are about 100yds away and now are looking.  I ease up to see the strutting bird start to head our way and drops out of sight below the hill.  It takes what seems like forever and nothing. We see the other bird coming too and he disappears. After a few minutes I make a soft yelp and I see a red and white head pop over the hill then Andy says when you see his head shoot him.  Well I had seen his head for about 8 seconds before he said that and I was shaking so bad I couldn't steady my dot on the bird, lol.   I took a deep breath and steadied the dot on his waddles and rolled him. After the shot we ease up to see the strutted standing just over the hill and Andy took a shot on him but the bird took flight somehow. I looked at Andy and he was pumping his gun and getting ready to take a follow up shot so I raised my gun up and fired off at the flying gobbler, he crumpled like a dishrag and hit the ground as Andy's second shot rings out.  He runs over and finishes the bird off and we had a nice Alabama double of two real nice gobblers. Talk about a rush, wow I've never fanned on and believe me I realize how dangerous it could be but under the right conditions it's unreal.  I got to looking after I was able to stop dry heaving and saw my wad, the felt, the mylar and the over shot card.  It was wild to find all that laying there.  Thought it would make a cool pic. It was a hunt I won't soon forget. 

harleytom

Great pics, congrats on the great birds as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3bailey3

xarcher

Congrats. Would you believe I'm in AL this weekend too. Hunting Skyline. Send some of that juju my way.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Great pictures. Is that Hal Abbott's Big20XL TSS that you load?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

Quote from: FullChoke on March 22, 2019, 09:20:55 PM

Yes sir that's the load. That's a Sandman special. He loaded me a pile of them a few years ago and even though I load my own now I always use the ones he loaded me when I'm hunting. They are mean.   

Sand Man

Quote from: 3seasons on March 22, 2019, 10:56:17 PM
Quote from: FullChoke on March 22, 2019, 09:20:55 PM

Yes sir that's the load. That's a Sandman special. He loaded me a pile of them a few years ago and even though I load my own now I always use the ones he loaded me when I'm hunting. They are mean.

Can you send a few back my way?  I'm out!  :TooFunny:

Nice birds!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

3seasons

Here is a podcast with us talking about the hunt and the audio of the hunt

Hope y'all enjoy!!

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-ke866-ad086e