Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Been a while

Started by harleytom, March 18, 2019, 08:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

No this is not my rendition of the Staind hit,  everyone should be thankful for that. About 12 years ago I killed my first spring gobbler. It turned out to be a 3 bearded bird, which unfortunately was not appreciated for what it was due to my naivety. Fast forward to the present. Last night my son and daughter-in-law presented me with my newest (4th) grandson. I had worked all weekend and gotten off at 6pm but as we grandparents do, I drove 2 & 1/2 hrs to get to greet our newest family member. This put me getting back home around 1am. This morning I must have slept right through my alarm and woke around 640am. I hastily dressed and threw my equipment together and hit the woods to my prearranged spot. I put out a feeding and lookout hen and a Funky Chicken. Now before everyone starts ribbing me, I don't often use the Chicken but since I knew this area had several satellite gobblers around, I was doing my best to not run anything off with intimidation. I've never had much success with mine but friends of mine have. I heard nothing when I sat up and began my cold calling sequences as I did on the first bird this season. After a few hours I thought I heard some turkey purring behind me but couldn't see anything immediately. After a few minutes a lone gobbler comes charging in headed right for the chicken. As he gets close he blows up into strut and circles Mr. Funky. Being the protective person I am, I felt obliged to shoot him as he came out of strut right before he assaulted the Chicken. He dropped like a rock at 30 yards and never twitched after absorbing a headful of Apex #9 TSS from the Weatherby.  Approaching him I realized he was the double bearded bird I thought I saw on camera last winter. He was a 2 year old, only weighed 15.25 lbs, with 3/4 inch spurs on both feet. Beard 1 was 8 & 1/2 inches, beard 2 was 4 & 1/2 inches. Even if we counted both beards he would not be an upgrade (56.25 with both 47.25 with only one) but he is a trophy to me nonetheless. Thanks Chicken.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xarcher

That's how you do that.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

Great story and a fine bird as well. Well done and congratulations on your new grandchild.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TKE921

3bailey3

congrats, Awesome bird

cramerhunts

Congratulations on the new addition to the family as well as the bird! Awesome stuff!

3seasons