OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many calls?

Started by DKG, March 17, 2019, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

How many can you carry?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
My "friends" laugh at me when I start pulling calls out of my vest.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

WaltHooksKing

I cary a ton of calls. Lol

Happy

At most, 10 or so diaphram calls, a wingbone or trumpet, 2 pot calls and 3 strikers. That's going in heavy for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 26, 2020, 07:44:27 AM
At most, 10 or so diaphram calls, a wingbone or trumpet, 2 pot calls and 3 strikers. That's going in heavy for me.
Happy how many shell's ?

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 26, 2020, 08:16:50 PM
Happy how many shell's ?
Since your trying to profile me I will let you have 1 guess first.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 26, 2020, 09:44:14 PM
Happy how many shell's ?
Since your trying to profile me I will let you have 1 guess first.
LOL .. but i do carry few extra myself .. they don't do you any good at home or in the truck...

randy6471

For me it's 3 pot calls, (slate, glass & aluminum) with 3 strikers. A short box, long box and 8-10 mouth calls.

Honestly 99% of the time I run a slate and a raspy triple reed mouth call. I use the other calls in more specific situations, like if I'm trying to mimic the pitch a particular hen or I'll often use a glass call on a rainy day.
  The aluminum usually only comes out during late morning prospecting, when nothing else is working or on really windy days. I think that a higher pitch pot or box call will carry better, especially in the wind and will at least get a shock gobble when nothing else will.

bigriverbum

i've been turkey hunting for 23 years and this spring will be my first season using anything other than a mouth call

i joined OG this winter. i now own 6 pot calls and a shortbox.

thanks guys  :help:  :z-twocents:

etapia

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 17, 2019, 08:22:13 PM
Man, you are asking the wrong crowd.  Most of these guys are gonna tell ya that if you don't have one pot call in every known species of wood along with every surface available ( I think there are just over 2.6 million possible combinations) you are poorly equipped.   :funnyturkey:

i always take 2 pot calls - one slat, one copper, 4 strikers and one box call along with 4 or 5 mouth calls. 

Pretty sure I've killed 90% of my birds with mouth calls the last 15 years...

Take whatever you are confident in.  Get proficient on what you hunt with.

Cannot echo this more. Most of my first successful seasons were completed with one or two calls. It's not until recently I've begun experimenting with several different calls. Not really out of necessity though.

Marc

How many shell's ?
Happy probably carries one...

I carry three in the gun, and three more in the vest.  Living in mountain lion country (I have run across two while turkey hunting, and probably been near many more I did not know about), I am loaded and ready on the walk out. I also walk back to the truck loaded, even if I killed a bird...  It ain't for turkeys. 

I have seen guys that carry a 10-box with them...  I figure if I somehow miss a 3-shot volley,  am carrying a spare 3-shot volley...  If I run out of ammunition with 6 shells for a 1-bird limit, shooting a bird on the ground, it is time to go home and practice...  A lot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Here turkey turkey turkey

I usually carry around 3 mouth calls, one pot call, and box call in my vest.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

captfire

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A GREAT CALLER I KNOW GUYS THAT SOUND LIKE CRAP THAT KILL ...

GobbleNut

Quote from: captfire on March 22, 2020, 12:44:48 PM
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A GREAT CALLER I KNOW GUYS THAT SOUND LIKE CRAP THAT KILL ...

Great calling is in the eyes of the beholder,...and the beholder that matters is the gobbler any of us might be calling to at any given time.  Turkeys don't care if the call they hear sounds like a world-class contest caller or not.  In fact, from what I have seen over the years, sometimes the guy that sounds like he just picked up his first turkey call five minutes ago is just as likely to call in a particular gobbler as is the guy that has been at it for fifty years. 

It is the turkey that makes the decision, not the human being,...which brings us back to the topic at hand.  Carrying a few calls that vary in sound a bit is a good idea.  Turkey voices vary.  So should your ability to vary the turkey voices you are trying to imitate. 

Beards and Hooks

:smiley-char092:
Quote from: bigriverbum on February 29, 2020, 09:19:35 PM
i've been turkey hunting for 23 years and this spring will be my first season using anything other than a mouth call

i joined OG this winter. i now own 6 pot calls and a shortbox.

thanks guys  :help:  :z-twocents:
Boy is that number going to inflate as long as your on this site!

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Marc on March 26, 2019, 01:53:43 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 17, 2019, 09:29:32 PM
Your better off with one that your good on than 10 that you struggle with.  But at the same time if your good on 10, I'd take 6-8.

Well said...  Use the call you can use well.

I have calls I like and am comfortable with...  I carry a box call, a scratch box, and a few mouth calls.  Sometimes the woods are quiet till you pull out "that call," and then the woods light up.  Maybe that call sounds like a slutty hen that was recently tramping the woods.

If I could only take one type of call to kill a bird, it would be mouth calls.  Very versatile, but the most difficult to use well...  Currently I have a lot more fun playing a scratch box, or even a good box call.
i like that Marc, the slutty hens and that would be a great name for a call as well! I like slutty Hens. That being said I carry way too many, 3-4 boxes, 4-6 pots and this year trying my hand in troughs and scratch boxes, and boy is it fun!