OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mentoring

Started by zelmo1, June 05, 2023, 08:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I've done my part over the years.  The people I have mentored aren't much of a threat to the turkey population.  But they do know how not to kill one and still have fun.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Kyle_Ott

I mentored my younger brother back in the day.  For a time, he was the youngest to accomplish the US Super Slam and I believe he still holds the record for how quickly he achieved it.  He is an apex predator who was and still is the most worthwhile investment I have ever made in anyone regarding outdoor pursuits.  His talents and capabilities now exceed mine; there is nothing more gratifying than that.

My brother and I mentored a close friend who just completed his US Super Slam this year; he is the youngest to accomplish the feat at 24.  He has progressed and matured rapidly into a superbly capable and talented turkey hunter and it's been extremely fun to watch. 

My 7 year old killed his 7th gobbler in his 3rd state last week on a quick run up north; he's my little protegee and he's developing into a very capable killer.  I have hopes that he will fully call up his own gobbler next spring.

I anticipate that my 2 year old will probably start hunting at 4 or 5 just like my 7 year old did and he will be the last one I mentor.

The world doesn't need a pile of new turkey hunters.  It needs folks who care more about the resource than the number they've killed each season.  It needs folks who are willing to put in a lot of work to make sure turkeys thrive.

Cut N Run

I've tried to mentor 3 people. 

One was the land owner at my old lease.  He learned enough to kill a few during opening week of the season, then once it gets tough, he gives up.  He never tried to learn more calling than a push pin call.  He makes it work good enough, I guess. He'd rather work to make money than to learn how to turkey hunt.  He leases his land to someone else and hasn't hunted lately.

The second is a the son of a neighbor.  They are heavy into duck hunting and the father wanted me to help the boy get a gobbler before he aged out of youth season, then get him started...so I was more guide than mentor.  The boy had his own ideas on how to turkey hunt and moved around more like he was hunting quail.  He has no patience and hoped turkeys might be as plentiful as ducks, where he could shoot a lot.  I called in a nice longbeard, but the kid busted him off by moving to get a better look before he got in range.  It rained hard the only other day we both had to hunt. He aged out of youth week and they moved out of state before the next spring.

The last was a man in his 30s who was fired up to learn to turkey hunt.  He said he had access to some great family property in a neighboring county.  The first time we got together to scout, he brought his over-exuberant Labrador (who went with him everywhere) and the dog ran all over the place, with the guy yelling for it to came back (I wish I was kidding).  The next time we got together to scout, he wanted to go to one of my spots (not happening) so we went to some public and located some promising areas.  We never went to any of the family land places he claimed to have, yet he kept wanting to go to my spots.  When we had the chance to hunt, we ended up heading to some public land, where he told me how fired up he was to get a gobbler... he simply couldn't wait to post a picture of himself with a turkey on facebook...Once I realized that was his entire focus and goal, I bailed.  He contacted me again late last winter and said he had some killer land lined up to hunt down east, but I was going to have to have to call for him and the landowner. Sheesh. No thanks.

Basically, I've had people who wanted to use me as a guide, where all they had to do was show up and shoot a turkey.  I haven't found anyone who had the dedication and desire to take the time to learn the craft and woodsmanship required to hunt turkeys.  So, if they're not serious, I'm not going.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Prospector

I mentored my son- one day I hope to mentor a grandchild. Have in the past taken others. Funny, rarely get the invite to mentor on their land or "spots". Now rarely take others; and if I do, I prefer at first to go  with them. Selfish? Yep. Self defense? Absolutely.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

zelmo1

The two brothers that I have been mentoring invited me to meet them for dinner last night and it worked into my schedule nicely. We had a nice meal and talked turkeys, of course, and retired to the parking lot to try out some new pots I made up, as normal people do. They presented me with a leafy camo, which is what they both wera, lightweight coat and head mask. It was a nice gesture and greatly appreciated. This is one of the nice things about mentoring, being appreciated and seeing the progress of your mentees. Just thought it was a positive thing to post, as we all know and have lamented here, there are plenty of negatives. Z