OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Virginia 2019  (Read 9231 times)

Offline DKenny

Re: Virginia 2019
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
Went out this morning in Suffolk to listen in anticipation of youth weekend.  Had two different birds gobbling on the roost. Hopefully,  they cooperate this weekend.

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 01:27:53 AM »
Had one fire off yesterday morning (4/7), around 7:00. Had some hens with him.
He gobbled about six times and went quiet.
I was walking a Forest Service road when I heard him light up.
I just dropped a pin, tipped my hat and said: “See ya next week.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 05:13:58 AM »
Birds were HOT, yesterday morning.
Heard three gobbling and called in two jakes that were settin’ the woods on fire.
Roosted a bird last night. That joker was tearing it up also. Never heard one gobble that much on the roost.
He’s on NF though.......can’t kill him until tomorrow. :(
Good luck everyone!

Offline Hooksandspurs

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 11:13:43 PM »
Havent herd almost anything in bedford this year. Had one going hard almost had him this past friday. Never herd a peep from anything else.   ???

Offline TrkyShepherd

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
Havent herd almost anything in bedford this year. Had one going hard almost had him this past friday. Never herd a peep from anything else.   ???

They’ve been gobbling pretty good in Montvale. Gobble hard on roost. Very little once they hit the ground though and when they do it’s only a few times until they get a hen.  Still in larger flocks but starting to see them break up a bit. 9-11 has been the magic time for me. Lots of hens to go around right now.

Offline TrkyShepherd

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
Yesterday morning around 1030 

Offline Extendo Clip

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
Things in the blue ridge have quieted down big time since opening week. They're around but not gobbling at anything, even on the roost.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
Things in the blue ridge have quieted down big time since opening week. They're around but not gobbling at anything, even on the roost.

I agree that things have quieted down. I'm hearing one gobble about 7:30 each morning and he only gobbles once. Of course I've already killed two so that eliminates a few gobbles. Bird I'm hunting is very big. I can relax and enjoy the hunt gobble or not.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2019, 07:28:04 AM »
I’ve been off this whole week and have come close twice but the hen population is huge in my neck of the woods.  Since opening day I’ve seen 21 hens while out, it’s normal to have a few encounters but this is the most I’ve noted on the survey for Gary Norman in all the years I’ve participated in it.  Just looking for a kamikaze 2 year old right now. 

Offline TrkyShepherd

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
I’ve been off this whole week and have come close twice but the hen population is huge in my neck of the woods.  Since opening day I’ve seen 21 hens while out, it’s normal to have a few encounters but this is the most I’ve noted on the survey for Gary Norman in all the years I’ve participated in it.  Just looking for a kamikaze 2 year old right now. 

I’ve been dealing with a pile of hens as well. Been really hard to pull them in off the roost.  I’ve had to get in really close to have a chance. Late morning I’ve had to move quick to a gobble before a hen rolls in. Blind calling has brought a bunch in quiet too. Good luck this week everyone.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »

I’ve been dealing with a pile of hens as well. Been really hard to pull them in off the roost.  I’ve had to get in really close to have a chance. Late morning I’ve had to move quick to a gobble before a hen rolls in. Blind calling has brought a bunch in quiet too. Good luck this week everyone.

Glad I’m not the only one feeling the pain.  Good luck to everyone!