OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can’t hear drumming?

Started by tjh24, March 04, 2019, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

I've got high frequency hearing loss (too much unprotected shooting and loud Rock & Roll :happyshake:)
though I hear drumming clearly, even at distance if the wind is calm.  Like guesswho said, I can feel it in my lungs if he's close enough.  Drumming is up there as one of my favorite sounds in the world.  I'm also pretty partial to the sound of a bra being unhooked, but that's kinda off topic.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Mbhyman88

I've never heard drumming before but I haven't stopped listening for it though.  I guess it's possible that I'm in that percentile that can't hear it.  What would you say is the average distance that you could reliably hear it from on a calm day?  Although I haven't heard drumming, for me to date nothing beats having a bird gobble inside of 10 yards in big woods and it's so loud you can feel it.

zsully

I hear birds spit but don't know that I've ever heard the drum. Had a Jake last year at about 7 yards for 15 minutes spitting and drumming. Heard the spit every time. Don't think I ever heard the drum. If I was able to hear it I would think that would've been my best opportunity ever. I always thought it was just me and never knew that other people couldn't hear it.

1iagobblergetter

I could hear it better years ago. Now I can hear it,but have trouble coursing it and second guess whether I'm hearing it or not. My son hears Gobbles that I dont hear so I know my ears aren't near as good as they once were. I'm taking care of what I have left.

Tomfoolery

I killed several turkeys before i heard an actual drumming one day. Ive heard them spit and hear the boooomm after but not the drumming like i heard from this bird. Its was amazing. Later that evening i called one in for my buddy and that bird was doing it as well. And could here it clear as a bell 50 yards away. Ive shot birds at 15 steps and not hear it. I think some birds just dont drum when they come in and some do. I have shot more birds that didnt do it than i have that did. But it truly is amazing to experience. It sounded exactly like indian drums.

Turkeyman

Addendum: Listen to a power transformer. It's just about the same frequency (60HZ). If you can hear the transformer, you can hear drumming...concentrate. If not you're out of luck. As I said though, it's far more common to not hear high frequencies rather than low frequencies.

Ctrize

I can hear it but I notice my kids hear it before I do. I trust their ears now.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

if you can understand the cadence of the drum it might help you understand what to listen for....just throwing that ut their good luck guys
Feathers Fear Me

guesswho

Always reminds me of an old 4 speed truck leaving somebody's house, but it never gets out of first gear.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

longspur

I remember hearing grouse drumming. It sounded like it was inside my head and I couldn't tell which direction it was coming from. I could feel it. I know the turkeys don't sound like that but some describe it the same.

Turkz39

I have hunted with people that Have very good hearing that say they couldn't hear it,  I think sometimes people are so focused on the hunt and staying still that they don't pay attention to that low pitch sound. I think it would be a easy sound to miss if you where very excited I think once a person gets in tune with what they are listening for they will hear it.   But I also think that some turkeys drum much louder than others,   or maybe they can make it louder if they want.  Because I have heard some birds drumming way off probably 60 or more yards off.   If a person just can't hear a low pitch it would be worth a hearing aid of some sort ,  because it's just as exciting as the gobble . 

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 05, 2019, 07:15:58 PM
I've got high frequency hearing loss (too much unprotected shooting and loud Rock & Roll :happyshake:)
though I hear drumming clearly, even at distance if the wind is calm.  Like guesswho said, I can feel it in my lungs if he's close enough.  Drumming is up there as one of my favorite sounds in the world.  I'm also pretty partial to the sound of a bra being unhooked, but that's kinda off topic.

Jim
Hahaha. That's hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2019, 04:53:45 PM
Always reminds me of an old 4 speed truck leaving somebody's house, but it never gets out of first gear.

:icon_thumright:  I tell hunters that are not familiar with the sound,... "if you hear what sounds like a vehicle engine a long ways off that is fading in and out of hearing, you are probably hearing a gobbler drumming that is pretty close to you.  Be ready!".

Kdad

I have never been able to hear it either. I always try and listen for it but...nothing. put me on the unlucky list.

Turkeyman62

I heard it very well last season.
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..