OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I love this place

Started by Spitten and drummen, February 28, 2019, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Just sitting here thinking how addicted I am to turkey hunting.  This will be my 40th season God willing. We are really fortunate to have a forum like this to hang around. The knowledge with so many combined is unbelievable. When I started turkey hunting , only a few old timers chased them and they were not quick to share how to hunt them. A few magazines were circulating but for the most part you were self taught. For the most part everyone gets along great here. If you dont fit in you are weeded out unlike most other forums. I have met a lot of good folks here and made some good friends. If not for this site then that would never have happened. Thank you Shannon , mods and sponsors. Also thank you members for making this site what it is.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

MK M GOBL

Gen.27:3

I have not been on OG very long, but I am enjoying it as well!
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Gobbler2577

I have to agree completely.  I remember when I moved to MS back in 95.  I was 18 and dying to learn how to hunt turkeys.  We didnt have turkeys to speak of where I grew up in East Tennessee.  I had 2 uncles that were turkeys hunters here but neither of them would offer any advice.  I just started going and had a lot of hard learned lessons, mostly on public ground.  I wouldn't take anything for the education, but a little help would have gone a long way back then.  On this site there is always someone around willing to offer help regardless of the topic.  We turkey hunters are generally a strange bunch and I have found we can be hard to get along with.  For whatever reason though we seem to come together for the good of us all right here and I for one am appreciative.  I have learned a great deal the few years I've been visiting and am truly thankful for that.  Also recently have met a lot of great folks here and I am amazed that so many class acts have congregated in one place.  Shannon and those who support this site we all owe you a great deal for the benefit of all this site offers and provides. 
Buster.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

3bailey3

great post and I totally agree with everything said, thank to Shannon and anyone else that makes this site happen!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

dayna105

Well I have mixed feelings. This site has been a great teacher. Lean something new almost every time I log on. Have some great laughs. But, boy have I spent some cash from listening to some on here :TooFunny:

Thanks to Shannon, and all members for making this a fine site to visit.

Herb McClure

Fellow turkey men, and especially Spitting and Drummen for his putting this subject on the OG forum. I too can correlate with his subject of old timers way back in my days too; over sixty years ago. Our bonding today with the wild turkey, which so many of us share and it is unreal. We all are probably very different in our everyday lives and makeups but we have that special bond that makes us be as one when that old master warrior gathers his hen flocks and signals to them that Spring is coming. Although I don't kill gobblers anymore, I have never gotten tired of watching Real wild turkeys in their everyday life; just to film them now and put it on DVDs to share. Thanks to the people who operate the OG forum; my hat is off to them.   

Sir-diealot

Great site and great bunch of fellow hunters to be sure. I have not been hunting as long as most of you but I remember when I started to turkey hunt around 96-97 there were no turkey hunters around or at least in my group of friends and they all looked at me like I was odd when I started turkey hunting (Granted I am odd but this seemed to make me even more odd in their eyes)

Loved hunting back then because there was no competition and it was easy to get permission to hunt turkey, or anything so long as it was not deer,  and there were tons of turkey as compared to now. That is the one major thing I notice since being able to return to hunting after 17 years is they are just not around much like they once were.

Anyway it was nice to find this site and learn of all the neat turkey calls and ways of calling that I have never heard of before at to run into people willing to teach without busting your chops about it. Great bunch of guys and gals here, Thanks to Shannon for starting it and thanks to those of you that help to make the site great.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jgard

Could not agree more with this

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Herb McClure on February 28, 2019, 08:33:50 PM
Fellow turkey men, and especially Spitting and Drummen for his putting this subject on the OG forum. I too can correlate with his subject of old timers way back in my days too; over sixty years ago. Our bonding today with the wild turkey, which so many of us share and it is unreal. We all are probably very different in our everyday lives and makeups but we have that special bond that makes us be as one when that old master warrior gathers his hen flocks and signals to them that Spring is coming. Although I don't kill gobblers anymore, I have never gotten tired of watching Real wild turkeys in their everyday life; just to film them now and put it on DVDs to share. Thanks to the people who operate the OG forum; my hat is off to them.

Mr. Herb. How are you sir. I read your book every year before spring turkey season. As a matter of fact I just finished it last night. You sir are what I call a great turkey man. Although I have not been at it as long as you have , i can relate. Not about mountain turkeys because I never had the opportunity to chase them , but turkeys in general. I love where you learned and perfected the leon caller. I have never seen one , but it intriges me. Anyway thank you for a great read.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

deerpoo22

Great post. Number 1 thing this website taught me is ethics for sure which kinda goes hand in hand with my equipment. While my pop has always been an incredible turkey hunter he never really patterned and understood what his gun could do and looking back he has taken some very questionable shots over the years. Naturally this rubbed off onto me in my earlier years and it wasnt till I found this forum that I got so much more knowledge and understanding your equipment and what its capable of

Old Gobbler

Thanks for the kind words! It means alot to me.

Turkey hunters are a "cut above " in hunting circles ...they  hard working, clever and when you get to know them , very down to earth "good people"

I think alot about my late father Richard Kelly and late uncle Micheal Kelly and how they would have greatly enjoyed a place like this had they been around to see it  , to share stories and good times ...although 2 of some of my favorite hunting buddies are in a better place now , I and YOU now have thousands of other hunting buddies have a place to share stories , experiences and talk about Wild Turkey hunting --OG is made for folks LIKE YOU !!

Hope all you guys call in nice ones this spring and have very safe and enjoyable hunts for many years to come.

--Shannon Kelly
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon