OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locator calls... Do they help or hurt.

Started by appalachianassassin, February 27, 2019, 03:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M,Yingling

I use locators hey sometimes they work sometimes not,,, for crows like i said other post get the real crows going also works at times ,,if they are gobbling on their own then they locators dont even come out  ,,, if i get a response from locator ill move that way but then ill use some yelps or sharp cutting instead of locator ,, guys that say locators shut birds down got ask how many times are u blowing the thing lol   Public land one or 2 gobbles is good enough for me to head toward a bird
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Turkeyslayer7

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 27, 2019, 09:08:41 AM
The variance in your percentages could be explained as a bird that is not readily gobbling on his own or in response to turkey calls might in fact shock gobble to a locator call but that doesn't mean he's in the mood but merely revealed his current location. Maybe that helps maybe it doesn't get you anywhere it's a start but the chances of success are still lower then if a bird is responding to every Yelp and cluck thrown his way.

You can spook a bird with about anything done too much or too loud but I firmly believe a turkey isn't deducting that a owl or crow is really a hunter seeking their where abouts.

Generally you are using locator calls on days where nothing is happening or nothing is working.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well said. Every bird is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 27, 2019, 09:08:41 AM
The variance in your percentages could be explained as a bird that is not readily gobbling on his own or in response to turkey calls might in fact shock gobble to a locator call but that doesn't mean he's in the mood but merely revealed his current location. Maybe that helps maybe it doesn't get you anywhere it's a start but the chances of success are still lower then if a bird is responding to every Yelp and cluck thrown his way.

You can spook a bird with about anything done too much or too loud but I firmly believe a turkey isn't deducting that a owl or crow is really a hunter seeking their where abouts.

Generally you are using locator calls on days where nothing is happening or nothing is working.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

As someone who works with data for a living, this is exactly where my head goes as well.  Rarely are two stats an apples-to-apples comparison.   The mood of the bird is a big factor in his work ability and very well may be skewing your results. 

appalachianassassin

Quote from: Vaughnrp2 on February 27, 2019, 09:05:22 AM
If you are killing 6 out of 10 birds than you are doing something right. May want to write a book someday. LOL
that's a 10 year average. Last year was 90%. 9 longboards in 3 states in 8 days. I think I should mention that I use locators preseason. Just not in a hunting situation.

dublelung

Quote from: appalachianassassin on February 27, 2019, 12:17:02 PM
Quote from: Vaughnrp2 on February 27, 2019, 09:05:22 AM
If you are killing 6 out of 10 birds than you are doing something right. May want to write a book someday. LOL
that's a 10 year average. Last year was 90%. 9 longboards in 3 states in 8 days. I think I should mention that I use locators preseason. Just not in a hunting situation.

If you're doing that you don't need to be on here asking questions, you need to be writing books.  ;D

appalachianassassin

:TooFunny:that I can remember I haven't asked a hunting related question on any board, I just Express my opinion. an opinion that most disagree with I might add. Several friends have asked me to write a book on hunting public ground turkeys in the Appalachian mountains. Someday when I'm bound to the rocking chair and memories are all I have left I may do just that. For now I just want to kill my turkeys and help a few friends kill thiers.

LaLongbeard

I'm not gonna give my opinion it's well known and I do not want to start hysterical fits of crying.
Surely everyone's experiences are different. You should also know that the ones that have stated they don't use locators or feel they shut Gobblers down are not part of some conspiracy to do away with locator calls. There giving there experiences about were they hunt. If the gobblers were you hunt respond to locators Crow, owl, Siamese cats, truck door slamming, doorbells, mail trucks, toasters or whatever count yourself fortunate. I know what does an doesn't work in my hunting area and really don't care what works in dateursister Arkansas. This is a forum which is nothing but a collection of people's opinions, if everyone only commented on things they agreed with there'd be about 5 of you patting each other on the back about the same ol thing everyday and the rest of us shaking our heads no.
If you do write a book appalachianassin I'd probably read it because I'll read anything about turkey hunting at least once and if I get to apart I don't agree with I won't get butt hurt about it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobble!

If I had to cut back the number of things I take with me turkey hunting my owl and crow calls would be at the top of list. Mine rarely get used. When they do get used its a last ditch effort so if they don't work I don't hold that against them.

paboxcall

Locators have their place, and I use them at those times. Crow call can be priceless when changing position or set up on a gobbling turkey.

What I have found over the years hunting public ground is most guys haven't a clue what an actual crow or owl sounds like, and probably a strong correlation to those who believe locators don't work.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

GobbleNut

There are many ways to look at this issue,...and we have covered most of them at one time or another.  I suspect those of us that use locators will continue to use them,...and those that don't will continue not to.

One point that hasn't been mentioned that is one of many reasons I use locators is this:  you can often get a gobbler to tell you where he is roosted much earlier by using a locator call than you can by waiting for him to gobble on his own.  The earlier a gobbler tells you where he's at, the earlier you can get to him and get set up.  Those extra few minute of low light conditions can often let you get a much better set-up on a bird than you can just a few minutes later on.

I couldn't even begin to guess how many gobblers (and those I hunt with) have killed just by being able to get in tight on a roosted bird by getting him to gobble ten or fifteen minutes earlier than he would have on his own,...and being able to approach closely and establish a great set-up under the cover of darkness.

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 27, 2019, 08:08:48 PM
and being able to approach closely and establish a great set-up under the cover of darkness.
If I'm running out of darkness I just close my eyes.  Helps it stay dark a few more minutes which allows me to get set up without being seen.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 27, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
and being able to approach closely and establish a great set-up under the cover of darkness.
If I'm running out of darkness I just close my eyes.  Helps it stay dark a few more minutes which allows me to get set up without being seen.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Good strategy.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty much in the dark all the time with or without my eyes closed.  :toothy12:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 27, 2019, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 27, 2019, 08:22:38 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Good strategy.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty much in the dark all the time with or without my eyes closed.  :toothy12:
:TooFunny:

Gooserbat

Depends on the situation.  Sometimes I want to know where he's at with out making a turkey noise because I'm not in a situation to be in position to set up. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.