OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tactacam 5.0

Started by birdsandspurs, February 26, 2019, 05:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdsandspurs

Can you guys give me any insight on this 5.0 and how it would fair on a turkey gun? If you got videos or such I'd like to see. Thanks

MK M GOBL

My buddy has an older version 2.0 Tactacam and has had no issues with it, has been on the 12ga and .243 for predator.

MK M GOBL

Fullfan

My son and I both have the 4.0, Love the cameras. Have a bunch of videos but am told the file is to big to load here. We use the barrel mount which causes you will loose the subject ( dead gobbler) for several seconds upon recoil.  And you have to remember to keep your gun pointed at the gobbler as you walk up to him.  Tried the head mound but never know if it is pointed in the right direction and capturing the subject.
Don't gobble at me...

birdsandspurs

Quote from: Fullfan on February 27, 2019, 07:56:14 AM
My son and I both have the 4.0, Love the cameras. Have a bunch of videos but am told the file is to big to load here. We use the barrel mount which causes you will loose the subject ( dead gobbler) for several seconds upon recoil.  And you have to remember to keep your gun pointed at the gobbler as you walk up to him.  Tried the head mound but never know if it is pointed in the right direction and capturing the subject.

So there is really no way to know what your actually pointed at? Is the 5 worth the price difference to the 4?

derek

Quote from: birdsandspurs on February 27, 2019, 07:59:56 AM

So there is really no way to know what your actually pointed at? Is the 5 worth the price difference to the 4?

The 4.0 and 5.0 have wifi built in, you can connect to your phone and see exactly what the camera is looking at through the tactacam app.  Neat feature, but if youre using your gun, once you figure out where you want it there's not much else to do, except hit record when he's getting close.  Might be tough to find too many 5.0 vids since they weren't released until this september, but there's a pretty significant quality jump as it films in 4k (although youtube destroys that, plus 8x vs 5x which should be good on a turkey gun. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTL9IuTnhKg

Here's a recap video of our 2018 season - all the hunts on here were filmed solely with a 4.0 and 4.0 wide.  Hunts start at 6:38 if you want to skip over us ramblin'!  lol. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Fullfan

If you have the time you can check  it via your smart phone, they have an app you can download. But it seems most of the time fooling with your phone while working a turkey is a good way to bet busted.  For the price I am happy with the 4.0. Only big diff is the 5x vs the 8x zoom.
Don't gobble at me...

birdsandspurs

Quote from: derek on February 27, 2019, 08:44:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTL9IuTnhKg

Here's a recap video of our 2018 season - all the hunts on here were filmed solely with a 4.0 and 4.0 wide.  Hunts start at 6:38 if you want to skip over us ramblin'!  lol.

Man that's pretty sweet there

birdsandspurs

Quote from: Fullfan on February 27, 2019, 09:09:07 AM

If you have the time you can check  it via your smart phone, they have an app you can download. But it seems most of the time fooling with your phone while working a turkey is a good way to bet busted.  For the price I am happy with the 4.0. Only big diff is the 5x vs the 8x zoom.

Does the zoom Really Help much with these kinds cams?

Turkeyman

I bought a 5.0 when they came out and used it this past fall while bow hunting for deer and fall turkey hunting. I use the stabilizer bow mount but not the gun mount. I don't want to point my gun at something if I want to video. That would be fine for the moment of the shot but, IMO, NG for most of the time. If you were hunting with me would you like me aiming at you to have you in the video LOL. So I made my own hat mount using GoPro attachments. It attaches to the bill of my cap with a 1/4-20 screw threaded into the GoPro mount. A couple curved pieces place it just above my head. It balances very well. For "sighting" I have a piece of copper wire bent such that I can see it. Thus what I'm aiming at with my "sight" gets videoed.

birdsandspurs

Quote from: Turkey-Man on February 27, 2019, 09:46:48 AM
I bought a 5.0 when they came out and used it this past fall while bow hunting for deer and fall turkey hunting. I use the stabilizer bow mount but not the gun mount. I don't want to point my gun at something if I want to video. That would be fine for the moment of the shot but, IMO, NG for most of the time. If you were hunting with me would you like me aiming at you to have you in the video LOL. So I made my own hat mount using GoPro attachments. It attaches to the bill of my cap with a 1/4-20 screw threaded into the GoPro mount. A couple curved pieces place it just above my head. It balances very well. For "sighting" I have a piece of copper wire bent such that I can see it. Thus what I'm aiming at with my "sight" gets videoed.

I want it on my gun barrel to point at turkeys. Have a canon g40 and GoPro session 5 for the rest.

What's your thoughts on the 5.0 footage?

Fullfan

Quote from: birdsandspurs on February 27, 2019, 09:24:07 AM

Yes I do believe that it does, hunted with a no zoom gopro and a strutter at 25 yds looks like a black dot at 100yds.
Don't gobble at me...

birdsandspurs

Quote from: Fullfan on February 27, 2019, 12:43:28 PM
Quote from: birdsandspurs on February 27, 2019, 09:24:07 AM

Yes I do believe that it does, hunted with a no zoom gopro and a strutter at 25 yds looks like a black dot at 100yds.

10/4 thank u

Big Jeremy

Definitely better than a GoPro for filming from a barrel. I, personally, believe they 5X zoom on the 4.0 is good enough to not want to spend more money on the 5.0.

I have the 4.0, and video quality at 5X zoom is plenty good for me. The only issue I have is that where it's mounted on the barrel, you have to move quite a bit to reach up and turn it on. It's never cost me a bird, but I've had to forego filming a couple kills to prevent the potential of spooking it from the movement that would've been required to turn it on.

I would definitely recommend at least the 4.0...WiFi feature is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdsandspurs

They have remotes now don't they?