turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public land unspoken rules

Started by MS Turkey Chaser, February 21, 2019, 08:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomno3

The problem with Public Hunting is .......................................The Public.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Double B on February 22, 2019, 07:29:55 AM
Talk to others if you encounter them in parking areas going in so you can discuss general hunting location/direction of travel, and be able to stay away from each other.  Have alternative plans if your first choice gets boogered up. Respect other hunters if they are on a bird, hunt a different gobbler. "Do unto others as you would have done to you."   

Perfect summary.   :icon_thumright:

turkaholic

I thank god my public lands are not over run with disrespectful idiots. I hunt 90% on state land in CT and 100% in NY. It all depends on the areas that you can hunt it seems. In my earlier days in CT I have had issues with fools. It seems in my areas there are not as many turkey hunters as before. To hard for them now that the birds are fewer. I have been known to drop a vehicle at the gate the night before as a decoy. Still no sure thing someone won't run over you. I do like others here, and seek out the far from the road areas.
live to hunt hunt to live

Fullfan

I sure hope you have better luck there than here in PA. Apparently here in Pa there are no rules, numerous times on public ground I have found vehicles parked within feet of mine. Had guys come in on me when I'm working a bird. Had birds shot that I have been working, have had birds blown off the roost after they have gobbled. Bad thing here in Pa is the blocks od woods are so small, when a bird gobbles 9 guys hear him.  And on private ground ppl trespass.

You just have to be prepared, there are no rules for some and the same ppl don't care. 
Don't gobble at me...

CALLM2U

I'll add one more from experience.  Just because you roosted a bird, doesn't mean he's yours. 

One evening my cousin and I covered all the listening points and found a gobbler on fire, already on the roost.  It was at the dead end of an old dirt road and we were the only one there.  We stayed with him until dark (he gobbled until then without any urging) 

Next morning, we pull up to the spot earlier than normal and way before we needed to be and there's someone there.  He quickly jumps out of the truck and tells us where he's headed and then leaves.  He walks right under the bird, gives a couple calls, the bird was obviously hot, flies down and he shoots him.  To this day, I have no idea how he knew about that bird, but he clearly did.  We didn't see a single person on that road and stayed with the gobbler until dark so unless he was there way earlier than we were, I have no idea. 

Point being:  Just because you heard the bird and you may be alone at time time, don't assume you're the only one who knows about him. 

chadly

Been hunting public land for almost exclusively for 16 years.  For pheasant, deer, turkey, and even some fishing.  I've had experiences just like all you.  I don't have the funds to buy my own land so I play buy the public land rules.  I believe we are a very fortunate people to have public lands to hunt and I believe this blessing could disappear in generations to come.  One thing about public land that I've noticed is a large amount of people you run into will tell you of the trophy they saw and where.  I know its wrong but when I'm confronted about what I saw it's always the same "never saw anything".  If I'm busted carrying one out it's "first bird in years I've ever seen in here".  Got my kids trained too.  Years ago we dragged a canoe through the woods to get to a little pond that has a shore line covered with brush almost the whole way around it making it impossible to fish from shore other than a small piece by the road that gets hit fairly regular.  We slaughtered the crappie and sunny that night on the far end of the pond.  The road end of the pond some people came in to fish the shore.  As we got ready to leave we put the metal stringers of fish in the cooler.  As we pulled the canoe past the other fishermen they asked if we had any luck.  Before I could speak my son about 7 at the time said something along the lines "hardly got a bite".  The words no more than left his mouth and the fish in the cooler just exploded with movement and distinct sound of flopping fish on a metal stringer rang out.  My buddy just looked at me and smiled.  He is the one that taught me to never tell a soul. 

ddturkeyhunter

Just reading all the post brought back a lot of (bad) memories. And if you hunt public long enough you will gain a few also. All you can hope for is the good memories out do the bad, and they usally do. I was raised what now I call "old school" where you didn't lie and the word "RESPECT" was every thing. So if some one who doesn't know the word respect, or something is not going very well. Remember there is maybe another turkey over the next ridge, and it is all called hunting.

cwb04

If this weather doesn't let up soon - you may want to purchase a snorkel and some swim fins!  In my part of MS - it's gonna be another one of those seasons.  Public land near me may not even be open this year due to all the water.  River is rising, so gates are closed and all this rain has nowhere to go.  All that recent snow through much of the Midwest has to come this way eventually.  Everything leading up to another long, wet Spring! 

YELPA

Let common sense prevail.
Don't let turkey fever let you do something stupid.
No crowding others.
First come, first serve.
Be flexible...have a back-up plan or two.
Out work and out think the next guy.
Map scouting is very important and an underrated skill.  Not all have the time/opportunity to put boots on the ground preseason.
You need not always go deep to be alone.
If you think that hen you hear is a hunter, check with a crow call.  Sometimes the hen caws back, then you both know the situation.
Be nice or go home.

ChiefBubba

I hunt Florida public land and the only thing to remember is there are no rules. I can't tell you how many times I've called other guys in. I once had a gobbler shot from a truck that was coming to me. I just try to stay as far away from anyone that I can. Discussions at the truck before walking in sometimes work but not always. Bubba

J.D. Shellnut

Quote from: chadly on February 22, 2019, 08:59:35 AM
Been hunting public land for almost exclusively for 16 years.  For pheasant, deer, turkey, and even some fishing.  I've had experiences just like all you.  I don't have the funds to buy my own land so I play buy the public land rules.  I believe we are a very fortunate people to have public lands to hunt and I believe this blessing could disappear in generations to come.  One thing about public land that I've noticed is a large amount of people you run into will tell you of the trophy they saw and where.  I know its wrong but when I'm confronted about what I saw it's always the same "never saw anything".  If I'm busted carrying one out it's "first bird in years I've ever seen in here".  Got my kids trained too.  Years ago we dragged a canoe through the woods to get to a little pond that has a shore line covered with brush almost the whole way around it making it impossible to fish from shore other than a small piece by the road that gets hit fairly regular.  We slaughtered the crappie and sunny that night on the far end of the pond.  The road end of the pond some people came in to fish the shore.  As we got ready to leave we put the metal stringers of fish in the cooler.  As we pulled the canoe past the other fishermen they asked if we had any luck.  Before I could speak my son about 7 at the time said something along the lines "hardly got a bite".  The words no more than left his mouth and the fish in the cooler just exploded with movement and distinct sound of flopping fish on a metal stringer rang out.  My buddy just looked at me and smiled.  He is the one that taught me to never tell a soul.
My kid does the same thing! Hes seven and people ask him where does your daddy kill all them turkeys just picking with him. He says "oh you know in the hills"! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

THattaway

Quote from: YELPA on February 22, 2019, 11:10:53 AM
Let common sense prevail.
Don't let turkey fever let you do something stupid.
No crowding others.
First come, first serve.
Be flexible...have a back-up plan or two.
Out work and out think the next guy.
Map scouting is very important and an underrated skill.  Not all have the time/opportunity to put boots on the ground preseason.
You need not always go deep to be alone.
If you think that hen you hear is a hunter, check with a crow call.  Sometimes the hen caws back, then you both know the situation.
Be nice or go home.
Experience and wisdom talking here.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

BTH

Get in shape and be ok with walking several miles with full gear on. Also don't be afraid to hunt later in the day. Be patient for an extra hour or 2 after hearing a gobble. Every time I call a note that's an extra half hour sit .....minimum.
Phil 4:13

eggshell

I expect anything possible on public land. I tell myself not to get upset, just move on. everyone there who bought license has a right. I do like hunting later in the day. Respect can be hoped for, but not expected. What we can control is the respect we give. If I encounter other hunters i do not lie about what I seen or heard. If they're in the woods I respect their efforts. I have actually sent people to birds. It all come home to you, a man reaps what he sows. I can find another bird. We all just want to have fun. Now I won't share information at the sporting goods or coffee shop. When asked I simply tell people that I don't share the information I worked hard to get. To me it is different if a guy is out there and trying or if they are just cherry picking. When I tell people I don't share info they almost without exception understand and respect that. One thing I have learned is a bunch of people walk right past good spots. I have killed a bunch of birds right close to the road. I do agree with those who say that talking to others hunters and making deals is high on my list and shows respect.

turkey harvester

Even on private your not safe. 3 years ago on private, left my keys in truck, never again, and someone moves my truck so they could drive through the field I was set up in. Come to find out it was one of my students!! We had a talk bout hunting ethics for a while. Had a guy this last year walk in, spooked the bird, I whistled and waved. He waved back and then tried circling around me. I got up and started walking towards him with authority. He takes off like Forrest Gump,lol. It's amazing how low some people will get just to say the shot a turkey, not hunted a turkey, but just killed one. Idiots
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.